Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Winston County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Arley, Alabama Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim & Renda Carr, May 29, 2011
Arley, Alabama Marker
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Arley, AlabamaDeep in the heart of The Free State of Winston
On January 11, 1861 the State of Alabama seceded from the Union. Deeply perturbed, the people of Winston County held a political convention on July 4, 1861 at Looney’s Tavern, near Addison. A resolution was adopted to the effect that Alabama had no . . . — Map (db m42859) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Bethel SchoolFirst Known School In The Greater Arley Community
The Community’s first four settlers homesteaded land near this site in 1832. The little log schoolhouse, just 18 feet square, was built in 1874. The land, given by L. F. Hembree, is now the site of Bethel Cemetery. With no heat, a dirt floor, and . . . — Map (db m42861) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Nathan, AlabamaOld Country Town
Post office established May 9, 1908. Named for the first postmaster, Nathan B. Langley, who was succeeded by Robert C. Walker and David H. Hamner. Post office discontinued June 30, 1915; housed in a general store operated on this site by Warren . . . — Map (db m42860) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Old Arley SchoolReadin’, ‘Ritin’ & ‘Rithmetic
Only two-room schoolhouse for miles around. Built in 1903, “The Big Room” was a two-story building with the Masons using the upper story. “The Little Room” was a later addition. The basic studies were the three R’s and The . . . — Map (db m42856) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Piney Ridge SchoolPioneer School Site
Originally known as Dismal School. Built of pine logs in 1900 on 1½ acres of land given by Zeb Humphreys, the building was about 20 feet square. Seats were rough board benches without backs. Students gathered pine knots to burn in the heating . . . — Map (db m42862) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — The Party Line - The “Talking Machine”Historic Corner
Here was located the switchboard known as “Central”, of Winston Telephone, Arley’s Grand Old Party Line. Built about 1909 by Mimm Wright, with an estimated maximum of 25 phones, she was the pulse of the community. When one phone rang, . . . — Map (db m42857) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Haleyville — City of Haleyville, Alabama
(Side 1) The Cherokee Indians were here first. They lived under the bluffs, near an area called the “division of the waters.” Richard McMahan established the first permanent settlement here in1820. John Byler completed the . . . — Map (db m80558) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Haleyville — The Honorable Frank Minis Johnson, Jr.
Born in Winston County, Alabama in 1918, Frank M. Johnson, Jr. transcended the prejudices of his time and made his mark as one of the great jurists in American history. He married his Winston County sweetheart, Ruth Jenkins, in 1938. During . . . — Map (db m80559) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement