A National Historic trail of the Boy Scouts of America established in 1963 as part of the circuit traveled between Urbana and Danville, Il. By Abraham Lincoln on the Eighth Judicial District in 1847 - 1859.
The trail traverses 16 miles easterly . . . — — Map (db m23955) HM
On the Bloomington Road
The Fort Clark Road, later known as the Bloomington or State Road, was an important artery for commerce between Danville and Urbana. The road was first approved in 1826 by the Illinois Assembly. It was the first . . . — — Map (db m23850) HM
Kelleys Tavern was originally called Strongs Inn after Cyrus Strong, who built a mud-mortar log cabin here in the 1830's. The inn at Strongs Ford was a stop on the Bloomington or State Road from Danville west to Urbana. Kelleys Inn was a stop . . . — — Map (db m23803) HM
From 1839 to 1848 the seat of Logan County was Postville, which centered in the Court House located on this site. In this structure Abraham Lincoln, a member of the Traveling Bar of the Eighth Judicial Circuit, attended Court twice a year. — — Map (db m12185) HM
At this site was located the law office of Samuel C. Parks - a friend of Abraham Lincoln. Born in Vermont in 1820, he eventually moved to Logan County, where he served with Lincoln on the Eighth judicial Circuit. The two men shared law offices in . . . — — Map (db m12352) HM
This Victorian Mansion was the home of Judge David Davis, an associate of Abraham Lincoln's.
Construction began in 1870 and was completed in 1872. The house is built of yellow hard-burned face brick with stone quoins in the corners. It is 64 . . . — — Map (db m12249) HM
“A rustic on his first visit to the circus” is how John W. Baddeley, an English immigrant farmer described Abraham Lincoln on his first visit to the McLean County Courthouse as a young attorney in the summer of 1837. Lincoln was wearing . . . — — Map (db m12362) HM
The frame house (left) that once stood on the site of this Victorian mansion was the home of Abraham Lincolns trusted friend, legal associate, and political manager, David Davis (1815-1886). The two-story structure closely resembled Lincolns . . . — — Map (db m12263) HM
The Tenbrook Hotel, the building shown on the right-hand side of the photo (which was taken at the end of the Civil War), was the site where Lincoln and other members of the bar lodged when traversing the Eighth Judicial Circuit. Lincoln traveled . . . — — Map (db m23855) HM
Lincolns journeys to Monticello were sometimes difficult because of the weather and his lack of popularity on some issues.
Lincoln, Judge David Davis, and other members of the Bar were trying to reach Monticello in the spring of 1852, having . . . — — Map (db m23813) HM
The I.C.R.R. Co. Steam locomotive was popular in the mid 1850's, when Lincoln worked for the Illinois Central. It was named “American Standard,” and latter ran from Decatur to Champaign. Locomotives were originally wood burning, and the . . . — — Map (db m23808) HM
The Old State Capitol was the fifth Statehouse in Illinois history. The building served as Capitol from 1839 to 1876. Its cornerstone was laid during ceremonies held July 4, 1837. During the 1840s and 1850s the building dominated Springfield's . . . — — Map (db m4821) HM
June 15, 1856
debated for and against
in our territories.
It was the initial speech that made
The Great . . . — — Map (db m11294) HM
Abraham Lincoln attended court in the fine two story rectangular brick courthouse with four Grecian columns and copper dome on this site. Here in 1842 he was challenged to a duel by James Shields. Lincoln last spoke here August 30, 1858. — — Map (db m12184) HM