41 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Astoria
By Cosmos Mariner, July 9, 2015
"Ocian in view, O! the Joy..." Marker (wide view; Young's Bay & Columbia River in background)
The Corps of Discovery traveled thousands of miles and endured many hardships to reach the Pacific Ocean in mid-November 1805.
The last sixteen miles down the Columbia River took ten days because of bad weather.
The explorers huddled among the . . . — — Map (db m113006) HM|
In 1921, responding to increasing popularity of travel by automobile, Captain Fritz Elfving formed the Astoria-North Beach Ferry Company to transport passengers and cars across the Columbia River.
His ferry slip on the Oregon side of the river . . . — — Map (db m113269) HM|
The Columbia River is a highway for huge amounts of freight. The most frequent outbound cargoes include wheat and other agricultural products from the inland Northwest, logs and lumber, and mining products like coke or potash. Entering the river, . . . — — Map (db m113238) HM|
Before the fire of 1922, much of downtown Astoria was built on pilings over the river. People built out from the original hilly shoreline, creating a level commercial district with access to the water.
Every type of business might be . . . — — Map (db m113237) HM|
The oldest American settlement west of the Rocky Mountains, dating back to Lewis & Clark.
Explore our history, natural beauty and opportunities for adventure.
For free maps and visitor information, visit one of the Astoria-Warrenton . . . — — Map (db m113011) HM|
|On April 12, 1961, Lord Astor of Hever, England, direct descendant fo John Jacob Astor from whom this city of Astoria derived its name 150 years ago, dedicated this monument to transportation. From here members of the Astor Expedition blazed . . . — — Map (db m149475) HM|
People have always turned to the river for enjoyment and just plain fun. Today you may see recreational sailboats, motorboats, jet-skis, kayaks, cruise ships, windsurfers, or kiteboards sharing the river with huge commercial ships.
In the . . . — — Map (db m113250) HM|
Built by Capt. Hiram Brown who came to Astoria area in 1848.
Original Portion of house built in Adairville (East Astoria), was barged downriver about 1865 to Tenth St. and rolled to present location without cracking wallpaper or breaking a . . . — — Map (db m114258) HM|
This grove of nine trees is a part of the original landscaping planted around the historic 1886 Queen Anne style house of Captain George Flavel.
The grove consists of a giant sequoia, ginko, Camperdown elm, bay laurel, pear, and four cork . . . — — Map (db m113151) HM|
was erected in 1883 by
Captain George Flavel,
Pioneer Columbia River Bar Pilot
and business leader
The family home for fifty years,
this property was presented to Clatsop County
by his great granddaughter,
. . . — — Map (db m113016) HM|
Began his acting career
in the summer of 1922 at the
Located on this site, the building was
destroyed by fire in December, 1922
— — Map (db m113059) HM|
The Columbia River Bar is considered by professional mariners to be the most dangerous bar crossing on the planet.
The Pilot Boat Peacock was built in 1964 based on a German North Sea rescue boat design.
Put into service on the . . . — — Map (db m112994) HM|
Towboats began working on the Columbia in the mid 19th century.
Powerful steam tugs towed sailing vessels over the Columbia River bar.
Sternwheel steamboats, many of which operated as tugs, plied the entire Columbia River system.
During . . . — — Map (db m113234) HM|
Great Chief of the Chinook Nation, known to Lewis and Clark, honored and respected by the founding Astorians, the Northwesters and the Hundson's Bay fur traders.
Symbolic memorial dedicated by Comcomly's . . . — — Map (db m113009) HM|
This area was once the crossroads of several cultures in Astoria.
Along the waterfront to the east and west were over 20 canneries with their hordes of workers, many of them Chinese.
After 12 to 16 hours of hard work, the Chinese went home to . . . — — Map (db m112997) HM|
|This authentic reconstruction of the 1852 U.S. Custom House was built to commemorate the bicentennial of the U.S. Custom Service. Work began in October, 1992 and was completed in May, 1994.
Reconstruction methods and tools duplicated those of . . . — — Map (db m113821) HM|
| This building was constructed in 1896 by the North Pacific Brewery and rebuilt 1928-29 by the city of Astoria to serve as a fire station.
J C Brook, Mayor
John R Arnold -'28
Anton Sorensen -'29
E C Gearhart
Victor . . . — — Map (db m113823) HM|
|In 1849, the U.S. Government established the first U.S. Customs Office on the Pacific Coast in Astoria. Located just 200 feet west of this site, the founding of the original Custom House brought change to the Northwest. It signaled a growing U.S. . . . — — Map (db m113819) HM|
|Desiring to dominate the areas explored by Lewis and Clark, John Jacob Astor sent expeditions overland and by sea to seize the mouth of the Columbia. The schooner Tonquin arrived first and work was begun on this site April 12, 1811. "The foliage was . . . — — Map (db m113558) HM|
|Fort Clatsop built by Lewis and Clark in December 1805 for use as winter quarters was situated eight-tenths of a mile south of this point. The site was chosen because of the game in the surrounding country and because it was convenient to the coast . . . — — Map (db m113578) HM|
The Ghadar Party, often considered the beginning of the 20th century Indian independence movement, crystalized in May 1913 at a meeting in Astoria's Finnish Socialist Hall (located behind this sign along Marine Drive).
This revolutionary . . . — — Map (db m112991) HM|
Founded in 1892 by Sven Gimre,
Bootmaker from Sola, Norway
Grandfather of present owners
Jon and Pete
— — Map (db m113235) HM|
For thousands of years, Native Americans thrived on salmon fishing on the Columbia River. They traded dried fish with other native people all over the west. In the 1870s, later settlers also made commercial fishing a way of life. It remains a . . . — — Map (db m113239) HM|
|The exterior of this reconstructed U.S. Custom House tells only part of the story. Use your imagination to visualize the space inside: a room sparsely furnished with a desk, perhaps a bookcase, wooden file cabinets, and a chair or two. The small . . . — — Map (db m113820) HM|
Well after the end of the American Revolution, this vast river we call the Columbia and the entire Northwest Coast were still only vague lines on even the best European maps. But the region was home to native peoples whose ancestors had lived . . . — — Map (db m113236) HM|
The Pilot Boat Peacock was built to meet the challenging conditions at the mouth of the Columbia River.
Pilots transferred to and from ships by means of the retrievable daughter boat off the stern.
The vessel is based on a . . . — — Map (db m112995) HM|
The mouth of the Columbia River is known to mariners as one of the most hazardous crossings in the world.
Large ocean-going vessels rely upon highly skilled pilots to bring them across the bar and then to guide them safely to ports up and down . . . — — Map (db m113233) HM|
| Birthplace of
First Teacher of English in Japan
The son of the Hudson's Bay Co. manager of Fort George and Chinook Indian Chief Comcomly's daughter, MacDonald theorized that a racial link existed between Indians and . . . — — Map (db m113565) HM|
|"The Wife of Shabone our interpreter We find reconciles all the Indians, as to our friendly intentions A woman with a party of men is a token of peace." - Clark, October 13, 1805
"...your woman who accompanied you that long and . . . — — Map (db m113553) HM|
Here you look out over Astoria's first neighborhood.
Platted in 1846 by prominent pioneers, Colonel John McClure and John Shively, this district was home to our most influential citizens; elected officials, leading businessmen, cannery . . . — — Map (db m113014) HM|
|On Christmas Eve, 1885, direct current flowed from a small dynamo in a planer shed of West Shore Lumber Mills to light Astoria's first electric lamps. Wires strung across housetops connected the dynamo to 30 arc lamps. Customers paid $16 a lamp per . . . — — Map (db m113568) HM|
| Erection of a fort was begun
April 12, 1811
by the thirty-three members of the Astor party who sailed around Cape Horn in the ship Tonquin and established here the famous fur trading post which was the first American settlement west of the . . . — — Map (db m113562) HM|
| Soldiers Monument
Dedicated to Soldiers of (the)
World War of Clatsop County
City of Astoriia
July 21, 1926 — — Map (db m113812) WM|
|Before engines - they fished in boats powered by the wind in their sails & were called the Butterfly Fleet. They were at the mercy of the wind & tides & as such it was a very dangerous profession. They did not always come back - these predominantly . . . — — Map (db m113566) HM|
|The Corps of Discovery entered the marshes and sloughs of the Columbia's estuary in early November of 1805, but violent weather pinned them down along the river's banks for days. While camped across the river William Clark lamented, O! how . . . — — Map (db m113582) HM|
|In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this “Corps of Discovery” to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly . . . — — Map (db m113581) HM|
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey.
President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery" to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired . . . — — Map (db m114094) HM|
|Camping on the Clearwater River in present-day Idaho, the Corps of Discovery made dugout canoes from pine logs. For expediency, Sergeant Patrick Gass noted: "we have adopted the Indian method of burning out the canoes." Axes and adzes were . . . — — Map (db m113556) HM|
|City Ordinance 1891 "No minor permitted on the streets after 8 P.M. in winter, 9 P.M. in summer. This bell has hung in several locations in West Astoria since 1904 and was rung for many years to remind people of the curfew. In later years, it was . . . — — Map (db m113567) HM|
|The poles or "piling" are logs from 80-year old Douglas-fir trees. They are a maximum of 60 feet in length and are embedded up to 20 feet into the river bottom. The rows of piling were used during the log sorting and raft making process. . . . — — Map (db m114698) HM|
|Here, at the end of their westward journey, the 33 members of The Corps of Discovery spent four rainy months preparing for their return to St. Louis, Missouri. The men built huts to protect themselves and their supplies. They named it "Fort Clatsop" . . . — — Map (db m113555) HM|