Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Baker City, Oregon Historical Markers

 
Alfred Block and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 28, 2017
Alfred Block and Marker
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Alfred Block
Mary Alfred was one of Baker City’s pioneer businesswomen. She and here husband, Francis Alfred, came to Baker County in 1870. She had a millinery and mantua (robe) shop in her home. Mr. Alfred drove a stage between Baker City and La Grande. In . . . — Map (db m108053) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Antlers HotelBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
In the early days of the 20th Century, the Antlers Hotel was a bustling three-story hotel which boasted a fine restaurant and bar. The hotel had an elevator. The upper corridors were naturally lighted by “light wells” and skylights. . . . — Map (db m108096) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — BakerHistoric Oregon Trail
In October 1861, a group of prospectors in search of the mythical Blue Bucket Mine, made camp on a creek six miles southwest of here. That evening, Henry Griffin discovered gold in the gulch which bears his name. That started a stampede which . . . — Map (db m108152) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Baker City Chinese History
Chinese were prominent working on railroads & gold mines in Baker County. The Baker City Chinatown was located by Powder River on Auburn Avenue where a Joss House was built in 1883. Chinese gardens on the east bank of Powder River between . . . — Map (db m108158) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Baker City HallBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Baker City, the “Queen City of the Inland Empire” at the turn of the century, needed a City Hall that reflected the town’s eminence. The city fathers commissioned a bold and stately Renaissance Revival building. The structure is noted . . . — Map (db m108191) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Baker Loan and Trust BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Prominent local businessman William Pollman contracted to have the Baker Loan and Trust Building built in 1910, after a major fire destroyed another building on the site, along with two buildings to the south. The building was designed by . . . — Map (db m108043) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Basche-Sage Hardware Co. Building
Basche-Sage Hardware Co. was one of Baker City’s largest firms for more than 100 years. The company began when Peter Basche purchased a Baker City tin shop in 1876. In 1888, Basche merged with the Sage and Grace hardware store. Stores were opened in . . . — Map (db m108084) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Bishop Building
The Bishop Building stands as a testament to the strength and durability of volcanic tuff, which was used to construct many of Baker City’s major buildings during the first decade of the 1900s. A fire gutted the building in 1940, but it remained . . . — Map (db m108079) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Chinese Shrine1890
This Chinese prayer house was used to honor the departing spirits by burning incense and prayer papers. The prayer papers were brown paper with some million little pinholes & pushed through the alter window. In traditional Chinese religion the many . . . — Map (db m108159) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — First National Bank BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
When constructed, this building was the third bank building to occupy this site. J.W. Virtue, a pioneer gold mining entrepreneur, built the first bank in 1873. It was the first stone building on Main Street. The building was ruined by a fire in . . . — Map (db m108037) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Flynn BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
The central two-story portion of their building was constructed in 1910. In the 1940s, single-story wings of reinforced concrete were added to both sides of the original structure. In its early years, the building housed the Chas. I. Flynn and . . . — Map (db m108102) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Geiser Grand HotelBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
When Baker City reigned as the “Queen City of the Inland Empire,” the Geiser Grand Hotel was a jewel in her crown. Built in 1889, the hotel soon earned a reputation for offering the finest accommodations between Seattle and Salt Lake . . . — Map (db m108065) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Gerstle-Solomon BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This building was one of Baker City’s first masonry structures when constructed about 1879. Solomon’s One Price Clothing House originally occupied the first floor of the north half of the building. By the 1990s, footware had been sold in the . . . — Map (db m108211) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Gwilliam Brothers BakeryBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
In October 1940 Gwilliam Brothers Bakery celebrated the business’s new building with a grand opening. Designed for high-volume bakery operations, the brick structure had a delivery truck garage in the rear and a large central oven set on a concrete . . . — Map (db m108161) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Haskell BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Haskell was one of Baker City’s leading real estate developers of the late 1800s and early 1900s. He also engaged in many other pursuits. He was born in 1850 in Ohio. At age 18, he went to Montana to become a miner. He later mined in Nevada, . . . — Map (db m108064) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — J.C. Penney BuildingHistoric Oregon Trail — Established 1874 —
The lot which this building occupies was first the location of a wood frame structure housing the McCord Brothers blacksmith shop. In 1867, Dr. J.M. Boyd and John W. Wisdom leased the structure to open Baker City’s first drug store. Wisdom continued . . . — Map (db m108041) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Jett BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
John Jett’s stonemason’s skills are manifest in the inscription carved at the roof level of his building - “J.H. Jett Marble Works, 1901.” The Jett Building was the first in Baker City of volcanic tuff construction. Ten commercial or . . . — Map (db m108206) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Kennedy BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This site was the location of Baker City’s first brick hotel, the Cosmopolitan. The Rev. P. DeRoo, a Catholic priest who aquired (sic) extensive real estate interests, had the two-story building built in 1875. The hotel also served as the city’s . . . — Map (db m108063) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Log Cabin SaloonBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Mike Hoff, a “tonsorial artist” (barber) in Baker City in the 1890s, built this building for his business. After a few years, however, Hoff went into partnership with Valentine Bildner to open a saloon in the building. During the . . . — Map (db m108060) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Lynndale BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
The Lynndale Building was constructed about 1890. The northernmost of the three first-floor bays was occupied by a saloon from the building's earliest days. The establishment first was named Henry the Fourth, then The Club. Later it became the . . . — Map (db m108077) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Mann Block
The Mann Block, built in 1890, originally housed one of the many saloons located in this block during Baker City’s early, rowdy years. Like most of the establishments, the saloon operated on the first floor, with a bawdy house and gambling rooms . . . — Map (db m108052) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — McCord House and ShopBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
“McCord’s Corner” contributed much to Baker City history. S. (Syrenus) B. McCord was the first mayor of Baker City. City residents elected him to four terms, and he also served several terms as county treasurer. In 1873, McCord . . . — Map (db m108209) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Miller Apartment BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This building was the location in the 1920s of the Lew Brothers Tire Co., which later moved to Bridge Street. After the tire company relocated, the building was purchased by Glenn Miller, owner of Miller’s Lunch in the adjacent building to the east. . . . — Map (db m108097) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Miller's Lunch BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This stucco-over-clay block building was constructed in 1923 as a "temporary" structure after a fire destroyed another building on the site. A block store first occupied the building, then an ice cream parlor. Glenn Miller, a local candy-maker, . . . — Map (db m108162) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Mint-Fox BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
The Mint-Fox Building was constructed as two adjoining structures, the south half in 1888, the north in 1889. The buildings were erected by A.A. Houston, a local builder. Houston first rented the south building to two miners, Lorenzo Durkee and . . . — Map (db m108061) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Old Oregon Trail1843
Dedicated to the memory of the intrepid pioneers who blazed the way over the Old Oregon Trail with the first covered wagons in 1843 and won an empire for the United States. Erected by the American Legion July 4, 1925 — Map (db m108048) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Old Post OfficeHistoric Oregon Trail — Established 1874 —
The Old Post Office building served as Baker City’s post office for 58 years, from completion of construction in 1910 until 1968, when the Post Office relocated to a new Federal Building a block to the south. The building also housed offices of the . . . — Map (db m108042) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Oregon Trail Memorial1843 - 1943
Map (db m108127) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Rogers HotelBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Baker City at the beginning of the 20th Century was the hub for a vast area of commerce, including mining, agriculture and forest products. Merchandise flowed into the city for distribution to dozens of smaller communities. Likewise, business . . . — Map (db m108194) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Ruts of the Oregon Trail
Of the 2170 miles of the Oregon Trail, approximately 300 miles of ruts remain. Swales created by thousands of wagon wheels and the trampling of draft animals are deep in some areas, shallow in other places. Much of the trail has disappeared due to . . . — Map (db m108130) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Shoemaker BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
William Shoemaker, a partner in a Baker City wholesale grocery and grain business, built this building in 1906. Before moving to Baker City, Shoemaker had been in business at Rock Creek, a small community in north Baker Valley. He built and operated . . . — Map (db m108103) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — The Lone Tree of the Oregon Trail
Early Oregon Trail emigrants crested the south flank of Flagstaff Hill and, with the Blue Mountains looming to the west, saw a solitary tree in the valley below. Called l’arbre seul (the lone tree) by French-Canadian fur trappers, this large . . . — Map (db m108122) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — The Lure of GoldOregon Trail — Oregon History —
Beginning in 1843, thousands of Oregon Trail emigrants trekked through this region toward new lives in the West. This epic journey indelibly etched the landscape with wagon ruts, such as those near by. When Henry Griffin, a prospector from . . . — Map (db m108128) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — The Masonic TempleBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
In 1900, after a fire had destroyed a former wood frame hall, the Baker City Masonic Lodge erected a new brick temple. The lodge hall occupied the second floor. The first floor originally was leased to the E.P. Voruz & Co. Home Furnishing Store . . . — Map (db m108081) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — The Oregon TrailRoute of Wagon Trains — from 1843 to the 1860's —
Wagons and cattle of the Great Migration, led by Marcus Whitman in 1843, descended Sept. 25 into Lone Pine valley. After nearly a month of travel over the hot dry Snake river plains from Fort Hall near Pocatello, Idaho, the cool climate and lush . . . — Map (db m108157) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — The Smoke ShopBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This building, constructed in the 1890s, was the location of the Smoke Shop for approximately 50 years. The Smoke Shop was a typical men’s gathering place of the period, offering tobacco, beverages, billiards and card games. The first business . . . — Map (db m108035) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — The Telephone ExchangeBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Hand-cranked telephones first rang in Baker City in 1889. Not until 1898, however, did a company succeed in establishing 24-hour, central exchange service. When inaugurated, the system had 40 subscribers and one operator on duty. The first . . . — Map (db m108195) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Walker BlockBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This property, which consists of parts of two adjacent structures built in the 1880s, was the location of many Baker City businesses over the years. One of the first was Basche-Sage Hardware Co., which was to grow into one of the Northwest’s largest . . . — Map (db m108039) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Weller-Henry Building
A fire that started in a billiard hall destroyed all the structures on this block in 1886. Several property owners chose to rebuild, and four adjoining brick buildings were constructed the following year. This building was constructed for Messrs. . . . — Map (db m108050) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — YMCA BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
A committee of civic-minded Baker City residents began meeting in 1911 to organize a fund-raising campaign to build a Young Men’s Christian Association building. The committee soon had secured pledges of more than $30,000. Plans for the . . . — Map (db m108098) HM

40 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020