Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bay City, Texas Historical Markers

 
Bay City Library image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
Bay City Library
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 337 — Bay City Library
On 5th Street at Avenue H, on the right when traveling east on 5th Street.
Organized in 1912, the Bay City Public Library was first housed in the J. P. Keller Insurance Company office. The non-profit Bay City Library Association, also formed in 1912, spearheaded community fund raising efforts to operate the library. Land . . . — Map (db m120755) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 339 — Bay City Post Office
On 7th Street (State Highway 35) at Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling east on 7th Street.
An election in the fall of 1894 resulted in the relocation of the Matagorda county seat from the city of Matagorda to Bay Prairie (now Bay City). D.P. Moore, the postmaster at the nearby small town of Elliott, owned property in the new town and . . . — Map (db m96314) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 1461 — Elliott's Ferry
On State Highway 35 at Nile Valley Road, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 35.
During the early days of Anglo-American colonization in Texas, the Matagorda Bay Prairie area was an important route for people traveling between settlements. A convenient river crossing was a necessity, and a ferry was established on the Thomas . . . — Map (db m89332) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 1868 — Ira IngramFirst Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives — (1788-1837)
On Avenue F (State Highway 60) south of 7th Street (State Highway 35), on the right when traveling north.
(front side) Born in Vermont. Came to Texas in 1824. Worked to establish the Republic. Represented Matagorda in the First Congress of the Republic where he served as speaker, Oct. 1836 to April 1837. At his death in Sept. 1837 left . . . — Map (db m117462) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 3251 — Matagorda County
On 7th Street (State Highway 35) west of Avenue G, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m117470) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 18864 — Matagorda County
On 7th Street (State Highway 35) east of Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling east.
Early home of the Karankawa Indians. Landing place of LaSalle in 1685. Settled 1822-1836 by colonists of Stephen F. Austin. The municipality of Matagorda organized under the Mexican Government on March 6, 1834. Became on March 17, 1836, Matagorda . . . — Map (db m120752) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 15467 — Matagorda County Confederate Memorial
On 6th Street east of Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling west.
1861-1865 To the memory of our Confederate Soldiers. "Lest We Forget." — Map (db m120757) WM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 3254 — Matagorda, C.S.A.
On 6th Street at Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling west on 6th Street.
Near the mouth of the Colorado River, 20 miles to the south, is the town of Matagorda, the second most important port of entry in early Texas. In the Civil War, center for rich farmlands and one of 8 Texas ports that blockade runners used for . . . — Map (db m120750) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 3689 — Old Bay City Bank
On 7th Street (State Highway 35) at Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling west on 7th Street.
Established 1898, four years after founding of Bay City. Private bank. Owners: Henry Rugeley, Frank Hawkins. This building erected 1903, site of many investment transactions important to Texas Gulf Coast development. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m120754) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — Sugar Cane Mill
On Avenue F (State Highway 60) south of 7th Street (State Highway 35), on the right when traveling south.
Sugar cane mills were used to make syrup from the sweet sorghum cane that grew extensively along Caney Creek in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Once the cane was stripped, topped, and cut, it was hand-fed into one side of the mill. A . . . — Map (db m118408) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.