33 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Corvallis
By Barry Swackhamer, September 26, 2017
96th Infantry Division Marker
|Activated on September 5, 1918 (World War I). Demobilized January 7, 1919. Became Oregon's Reserve Division in 1923. Activated to active duty August 15, 1942 at Camp Adair with orders to be Combat Ready as soon as possible. Trained at Camp Adair, . . . — — Map (db m114386) HM WM|
|The Quest symbolizes Alice E. Biddle, who in 1870 became the first woman to graduate from what is now Oregon State University. It reflects the energy, dedication and strength of all students in the pursuit of learning. — — Map (db m113343) HM|
|(Seven panels dealing with topics related to the Applegate Trail are found at this kiosk.)
Southern Route to Oregon
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a . . . — — Map (db m116846) HM|
|Built in 1888-89, the Benton County Courthouse is the oldest building in Oregon still being used for its original purpose.
The courthouse was designed by Delos D. Neer, a prominent Portland architect, in a style he described as resembling . . . — — Map (db m107360) HM|
|The Benton County State Bank building was dedicated on July 25, 1907. The bank, built on the ruins of a burned saloon, was representative of a period of growth and prosperity in Corvallis at the beginning of the 20th century.
Corvallis' . . . — — Map (db m117442) HM|
|The US War Department ultimately selected 55,000 acres at this location for an infantry training site in 1941. Temporary quarters were constructed, and the site was dedicated as Camp Adair in 1942. Camp Adair was designed to train two divisions at . . . — — Map (db m114382) HM|
|Site of the Capitol of Territorial Oregon — — Map (db m116735) HM|
|The Corvallis City Hall was located on the southeast corner of Fourth and Madison Streets from 1892 to 1956. This grand brick and stone building with the imposing belltower housed the City Council Chambers, and in addition, provided much of the . . . — — Map (db m112916) HM|
|The banks of the Willamette River were the focus of early town development. The town plat for Marysville was files on February on February 25, 1851, by Joseph C. Avery, using a portion of his land claim of 1845. The town included property from the . . . — — Map (db m117488) HM|
The Agricultural Reach of Oak Creek drains the croplands and research farm facilities of OSU. The Department of Animal Science manages these agricultural lands. Pastures are used for seasonal grazing and production of hay and . . . — — Map (db m108388) HM|
|The Episcopal Diocese of Oregon established the first school in the Central Park area. Dr. William Graham, a local physician, donated four lots on the block bounded by Madison, Monroe, Seventh, and Eighth Streets. He stipulated that the building . . . — — Map (db m117365) HM|
|The First Congregational Church was built here in 1917 to serve a congregation that had outgrown its original 1889 building at Third and Jefferson streets. Designed by architect Roy Dobell, a former instructor at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC, . . . — — Map (db m117268) HM|
|Fred J. Porter was the great-grandson of Benton County pioneer, Johnson Mulkey.
In the winter of 1845, Mulkey filed a land claim for 640 acres along Oak Creek, on the north side of Baldy Mountain. This was only a few months after Joseph Conant . . . — — Map (db m117266) HM|
This structure was built in 1899 to replace the original Mechanical Hall that burned to the ground on September 27, 1898. That fire threw the school year into chaos, since the building had housed the entire engineering program . . . — — Map (db m112864) HM|
|This is one of the first mill stones or burns to be used in this section of Oregon. This was originally quarried in France and shipped around the horn from New York in 1850 by sailing vessel. In 1852, was transported by oxen team from Portland to . . . — — Map (db m116840) HM|
|The L.G. Kline Building was built in 1889 for Lewis G. Kline after his successful career as a dry goods merchant in Corvallis.
Kline, a Polish immigrant, came to Corvallis with his wife, Adaline, a Russian immigrant, in 1864. The Klines and . . . — — Map (db m112915) HM|
|In 1973, Dr. Robert MacVicar, president of Oregon State University, and Gene Hansen, president of the Corvallis Chamber of Commerce, discusses the need to develop a stronger connection between the university and downtown, especially for pedestrians. . . . — — Map (db m117364) HM|
A watershed is an area of land from which water drains and ﬂows into a river and its tributaries. Small watersheds, such as Oak Creek’s, become part of larger watersheds when their streams converge. Thus, Oak Creek‘s . . . — — Map (db m108389) HM|
|On October 27, 1868, the small institution of higher education known as Corvallis College was granted a charter by Oregon's legislative assembly designating it as the state's land grant institution under the provisions of the federal 1862 Morrill . . . — — Map (db m108382) HM|
|World War I plaque
In Memory of
R K Wilmot
Fell in the
World War II plaque
In Memory Of O. S. C.
Who Lost Their Lives
In World War II . . . — — Map (db m113266) WM|
|The first steamboat to reach Corvallis was the sidewheeler Canemah in October of 1851. With this arrival, Corvallis joined Oregon's steamboat era, with tis stories of risk, profit, rivalries, mergers, heroics, innovation and disasters. . . . — — Map (db m117465) HM|
|Central Elementary Corvallis Jr. High Corvallis High School — — Map (db m117366) HM|
|Site of the earliest boat landing Lower Town, Marysville, 1851 Presented to City of Corvallis, Oregon Centennial Celebration, June 1957 by the Winema Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — — Map (db m107333) HM|
This portion of the Oak Creek watershed is managed as a working agricultural laboratory. Agricultural users include the OSU Dairy Center, beef and sheep production barns, and the Veterinary Medicine Research Farm . . . — — Map (db m108387) HM|
|The Corvallis Arts Center building began its life as an Episcopal church, constructed in in 1889 just a block south of here. It was one of the products of the influential English emigrants who arrived in Benton County in the late 1800s under the . . . — — Map (db m117279) HM|
|Ferry service across the Willamette River was established by William F. Dixon, co-founder of Corvallis, in 1848. The service continued for 65 years until the opening of the Van Buren Street Bridge in 1913.
In the 1860s, the ferry was operated . . . — — Map (db m117447) HM|
|The Incubator House and Poultry Building stood at 26th and Jefferson on the OAC (Oregon Agricultural College, now OSU) campus until 1927, where they formed the headquarters of the Department of Poultry Husbandry.
The Incubator House was the . . . — — Map (db m117612) HM|
|The Opera House was built on this site in 1870. It was a wooden building with a porch and covered entrance which faced on Fourth Street. The residents of Corvallis raised the money by subscription and donated their labor to build it. Inside there . . . — — Map (db m112917) HM|
|The 104th Infantry Division was activated on 15 September 1942, at Camp Adair and was named "The Timberwolves." After 18 months of training at Camp Adair and maneuvers in Eastern Oregon and the California-Arizona desert, they moved to Camp Carson, . . . — — Map (db m114384) HM WM|
|The 70th Infantry Division was activated on 15 June 1943 as "Oregon's Own" and was named "The Trailblazers" in honor of the Oregon Trail Centennial. After a year of training here at Camp Adair the Division moved to Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri for . . . — — Map (db m114383) HM WM|
|The Van Buren Street Bridge is Oregon's only remaining example of a movable bridge built using the rare pin-connected truss technology. The use of pins, or bolts, connecting each truss point allowed the bridge to be easily assembled on site after . . . — — Map (db m117491) HM|
|The Whiteside Theatre opened on November 9, 1922. That evening, the audience enjoyed the silent picture “The Old Homestead,” accompanied by Lilian McElroy on a $20,000 two manual, double touch Wurlitzer organ. That organ was the largest, . . . — — Map (db m117434) HM|
|The 91st Infantry Division was originally activated 5 September 1917 at Camp Lewis, Washington and designated the "Wild West Division." The battle cry "Powder River! Let'er Buck!" was adopted in 1918. During World War I the division fought in the . . . — — Map (db m114385) HM WM|