Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Independence, Ohio Historical Markers

 
"Veterans Plaza" World War II Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 10, 2019
"Veterans Plaza" World War II Marker
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — "Veterans Plaza" City of Independence Dedicated May 27 1996 —
On Brecksville Road (Ohio Route 21) south of Sunset Avenue, on the right when traveling south.

Army ☆ Navy ☆ Air Force ☆ Marine Corps Coast Guard ☆ Merchant Marines ☆ All Reserve Forces

This plaza is dedicated to the sons and daughters of the City of Independence who have fought to . . . — Map (db m137936) WM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Industrial Cleveland

By the late 1800s, Cleveland became part of the industrial revolution. Petroleum refining, steel making, chemical processing, and machine-tool production made the city a thriving economic center, as did its location in a national . . . — Map (db m137915) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Mule Power Towing Canal Boats
Near Hillside Road at Canal Road, on the left when traveling west.
Hi, Im Blossom. During the canal days.mules like me walked the towpath, pulling heavy boats behind us. We were strong engines, able to haul 60 tons or more of freight. Mules worked in teams of two or three. Cargo boats had a middle cabin to . . . — Map (db m140592) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Old Stone Church of Independence Sesquicentennial
On Brecksville Road (Ohio Route 21) south of Sunset Avenue, on the right when traveling south.

A Community of Faith

1855-2005

Celebration of

the past, the present, the future ———————————— Independence Presbyterian Church

Founded 1837 . . . — Map (db m137917) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Ride the Rails

The first steam engine chugged its way down the new Valley Railway in 1880, beginning an era of progress for the Cuyahoga Valley. Regional industrial growth boosted demand for coal and other raw materials. The railway connected mineral . . . — Map (db m137913) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Route to the Coalfields

"Recent investigations have developed a wealth of coal...deposits, which will find an outlet to market over the Valley Railway...." So declared the founders of the Valley Railway Company in an 1874 prospectus. While this railroad . . . — Map (db m137914) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — The Quarry Era
On Brecksville Road (Ohio Route 21) south of Sunset Avenue, on the right when traveling south.

From 1840 to 1900 quality sandstone & grinding wheels were quarried here & shipped throughout the States via the Ohio Canal.

Now only abandoned quarries remain. The Historic Society & Kiwanis Club of Independence joined in 1980 to . . . — Map (db m137919) HM

Ohio (Defiance County), Independence — Lock No. 13 & Independence Dam
On Ohio Route 424 at Independence Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 424.
Through this lock passed many canal boats carrying produce, goods, and passengers not only from Ohio and Indiana but from as far south as New Orleans and as far east as New York City. Boats were drawn by horses, or more often by mules, 2 to 6 in . . . — Map (db m19417) HM
Ohio (Defiance County), Independence — Two Canals Anthony Wayne Parkway
On Ohio Route 424 at Independence Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 424.
This marker is on the trunk line of both the Miami & Erie Canal and the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal, built by Ohio, was begun on July 21, 1825 and completed in 1845. It connected the Ohio River at Cincinnati with Lake Erie at Toledo. . . . — Map (db m19438) HM
Ohio (Defiance County), Independence — 6-20 — Winchester's Camp No. 3/Fort Starvation / The Old Kentucky Burial Grounds
On Ohio Route 424 1.1 miles east of Indepedence Road (County Route 185), on the right when traveling east.
[Front Text] : "Winchester's Camp No. 3/Fort Starvation" Camp No. 3 was located about six miles below Fort Winchester on the north side of the Maumee River. Militiamen from Kentucky, part of the forces led by War of 1812 Brig. Gen. . . . — Map (db m37924) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement