Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pendleton, Oregon Historical Markers

 
Aura Goodwin Raley Statue image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
Aura Goodwin Raley Statue
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Aura Goodwin Raley"Mother of Pendleton" — August 23, 1829 - July 21, 1913
Aura Morse Goodwin Raley was born in Kennebec County, Maine. At age 15 she move to Wisconsin, and in 1846 she married Moses Goodwin. In 1853 the couple joined a wagon train to Oregon, where they settled north of Vancouver, Washington. In 1864 the . . . — Map (db m111644) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Bowman Hotel
In 1889, a wood framed "Bowman Hotel' was operated by Henry Bowman on this site. A mill race running along Frazer Avenue separated that first hotel from the original railroad depot building. That building either burned down or was razed and the . . . — Map (db m111597) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Bowman Studio
This imaginative building was built to resemble a castle, complete with crenellations on the parapet. It was built in 1905 by W.S. Bowman, a turn-of-the century photographer, for use as his studio along with retail and residential space. This stone . . . — Map (db m111848) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Brown Building
The Elks Club had this building constructed in 1919 as Lodge #288. The first floor served as commercial space, the second and third floors as the lodge and the fourth floor as residences while the basement was a pool hall and bowling hall. A grand . . . — Map (db m111858) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Byrd School
In 1879 Maria Byrd, a widow, donated the land for Umatilla County School District #21. The school was located 6.1 miles south of Pilot Rock, near the junction of West Birch Creek and the Yellow Jacket Road. Maria and her husband, Daniel Byrd, . . . — Map (db m111598) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Carnegie Building
Currently used as the Pendleton Center for the Arts, this structure was built with $25,000 of endowment money from the Carnegie Foundation plus funds from the County for use as the Umatilla County Library. The architect was Folger Johnson of . . . — Map (db m111853) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Chief Clarence T. BurkeWetyétmes Tileylekéepit — Swan Facing the Sunset
July 29, 1889 - July 2, 1987 Pendleton Round-Up Chief 1936-1987 Clarence T. Burke was the eldest son of Chief Porker Jim, the first Pendleton Round-Up Chief. Chief Burke was born at Cayuse and resided near there his entire life. . . . — Map (db m111826) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Club Cigar Saloon
This one story Italianate building was built in two phases by Jeremiah DeSpain, a very early settler in Pendleton. The South half of the building was completed in 1884 and the North half was completed in 1889. The building uses iron pilasters and an . . . — Map (db m111827) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Columbia Hotel
The Columbia Hotel was built in 1900 by John Seibert and William Roesch. The Seibert heirs owned the building until the late 1970's. The Columbia Hotel opened on the second floor with F.X. Schemp as the proprietor. It operated as a hotel for only a . . . — Map (db m111639) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — DeSpain Block
Constructed in 1887, this is another building built and owned by Jeremiah DeSpain, early Pendleton settler, which was later added onto by E.J. Murphy. This building's second story remains much as it looked when it was constructed. Originally, the . . . — Map (db m111717) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Donald C. Requa"Req" — Pendleton High School Football Coach for 36 Years
"Football is another classroom where real life lessons are learned." - Don Requa Don Requa, or Req, as he was known, was an amazing motivator of young people in the classroom teaching mathematics and coaching football. He is . . . — Map (db m111829) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Empire Meat Market
In 1899, Henry Schwarz and his step brother Frank Greulich constructed a very ornate building for their business, the Empire Meat Market, which had previously been located in a wood frame building on Court Avenue. Ownership passed to another . . . — Map (db m111602) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Church body began meeting in 1871 when 20 local women organized the church. The original church on this site was completed in 1875. The building was painted brown and became known as "The Little Brown Jug." The cornerstone for the . . . — Map (db m111679) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Ferguson Building
This High Victorian Italianate building was constructed in 1904 by J.W. Maloney and James Monroe Ferguson. Although the ground floor store front have been altered over the years the building's historic character is evident at the second story which . . . — Map (db m111570) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — First Christian Church
Completed to replace the congregations' first church building that had been destroyed by fire in August, 1908, this structure was built to withstand time and elements. This site was purchased from W.F. Matlock and selected because its was out of the . . . — Map (db m111854) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — First Methodist Church
In 1871, six Methodist members met at the 1869 wooden Courthouse on Main Street to hold what is believed to be the first Protestant service in Pendleton. After meeting at various locations around town and in homes, the founding congregation built . . . — Map (db m111678) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Frazier Building
This simple, one story Commercial Italianate style building was constructed in 1889 by Robert and Mary Sargent who then sold half interest in the building to Frank Frazier in 1890. Frazier purchased the remaining interest in the building in 1926 and . . . — Map (db m111635) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — George Fletcher2nd Place World Bronc Riding Champion 1911 — October 3, 1890 - October 1, 1973
Inducted into the Round-Up hall of Fame, National Cowboy Hall of Fame, National Cowboys of Color Hall of Fame George Fletcher arrived in Pendleton around 1900 at the age of 10 with his mother and stepfather. His home life was unstable, . . . — Map (db m111773) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Griggs & Tryon Bldg
This skinny little building (only 17' wide) was built by Frank Griggs and J. Tryon as a confectionary and cigar store. When the Rivoli Theatre opened up next door they changed the name of their little shop t the the "Rivoli Cigar Store and . . . — Map (db m111632) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Haw Building
This corner lot was originally the home of Jeremiah and Nancy Despain - early settlers and developers of Pendleton. Despain Avenue and Despain Gulch are named in their memory. Their house sat on this corner from 1874 until it was torn down to make . . . — Map (db m111707) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Hendricks Building
Built in 1897 by early day brothel owner, Christopher Columbus Hendricks, this building has one of the least altered store fronts and interiors within the historic district. The southern most commercial space originally had an angled doorway with a . . . — Map (db m111568) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Jackson Sundown
Jackson Sundown, born in 1863, was a member of the Wallowa Band Nez Perce and a nephew of Chief Joseph. At age forty, he began competing in rodeos and took the name "Buffalo Jackson" at first, later changing his name to Jackson Sundown. In 1911 . . . — Map (db m111821) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Judd Block
Designed by a Hartford, Connecticut firm, and constructed by T.F. Howard for Fredrick Judd, this building uses native basalt stone and brick to make a bold statement. Originally, there was more ornamentation at the parapet level. The strong lintels . . . — Map (db m111719) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Kathleen McClintock 1907-19981929 Pendleton Round-Up Queen — 1929 Round-Up Court: Kathryn Furnish, Dean Lieuallen, Allegra McCormmach, Adelyn McIntyre
This Statue is Decicated to All the Women Who Have Served as the Face of the Pendleton Round-Up Like many of the Pendleton Round-Up Queens past and present, Kathleen McClintock had served as a princess on the court prior to becoming the . . . — Map (db m111820) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — LaDow Block
The smaller section on the west end of the block was completed in 1884 while the remainder of the building was completed on a larger scale in 1890. Both sections are Italianate in style. The original structure had a wooden roof extending over the . . . — Map (db m111706) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Masonic Hall Building
This brick building was constructed in 1887 in the High Victorian Italianate style by the Masonic Hall Association of Pendleton. With the exception of the ground floor commercial storefronts, which have been altered over the years to suit their . . . — Map (db m111569) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Matlock - Brownfield Bldg
Built in 1904 and exemplifying the Georgian architectural style, this building is 90' deep by 100' wide. There are five commercial bays with one still retaining the original cast iron columns. There were eleven evenly-spaced one-over-one double-hung . . . — Map (db m111601) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Milarkey Building
The Milarkey Building at 203 South Main Street is 26 ft. by 100 ft. long and was erected in 1883-84 by Thomas Milarkey in the "Late Simple Expression Italianate" style. This style is typical of many brick commercial buildings constructed in . . . — Map (db m111772) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Milarkey-Murphy Bldg
This is another fine example of an Italianate Commercial building. It was constructed in 1904 for two men related by marriage and who belonged to the first Catholic families in the area. This style remained popular in Pendleton long after the East . . . — Map (db m111860) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Oregon Scenic Highways
This magnificent view is preserved and protected by the efforts of the Oregon Roadside Council, which initiated and secured the passage of the Oregon Scenic Areas Act in 1961. 3585 scenic miles of highways were surveyed and selected by the Council. . . . — Map (db m111564) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — PendletonHistoric Trail
This location marks a travel corridor for Plateau Tribes moving seasonally from the Columbia River to the Blue Mountains. In 1811, members of the Astor Party under the leadership of Wilson Price Hunt camped here on their way west. They traded with . . . — Map (db m111565) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Pendleton City Hall
Pendleton's City Hall building was constructed in 1908 on the former site of H.M. Sloan's Hammer and Estes Livery Stable. The general organization of the building exterior reflects the Georgian style of architecture which was popular for public . . . — Map (db m111680) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Pendleton Oregon Trail Kiosk
(Six panels dealing with the Pendleton area portion of the Oregon Trail are found at this kiosk) The Long Walk to Oregon Contrary to popular belief Oregon Trail emigrants rarely took the reins while seated in their . . . — Map (db m111578) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — R.F. Renn Building
This 75' x 100' building was built by B.F. Renn for use as commercial space on the first floor while the second floor housed the Elks Lodge for a few years. It had classical arched double-hung one-over-one windows with two crests at the parapet . . . — Map (db m111765) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Rivoli Theater
This building started out as a single story building built between 1897 and 1900 to house four store fronts. In 1900, one of the storefronts became "The Pastime" and was a popular nickelodeon owned by the Matlock Family. The single-story building . . . — Map (db m111629) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Rohrman Bakery
This single-story Italianate Commercial building was constructed in 1890. The original owner/builder was Jeremiah Despain. His house stood in the east lot next door. For many years, it housed Rohrman's Bakery, which was one of the first bakeries in . . . — Map (db m111712) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — State Saloon
This building was constructed for Thomas Milarkey, early Pendleton entrepreneur. Milarkey was one of the first Catholics to settle in Pendleton. Mass was often held in his home by visiting priests. He was instrumental in helping establish a Catholic . . . — Map (db m111767) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Temple-Martin Building
Dr. Isaiah Ulysses Temple arrived in Pendleton with his family, at the age of 14, in 1883. He purchased the south half of this building in 1910. He added a second story for professional offices and converted a portion of the ground floor to a motion . . . — Map (db m111677) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — The Empire Block
Constructed in 1907, Henry Schwarz and Frank Greulich named the building The Empire Block for their business, the Empire Meat Market. At the dissolution of the Schwarz and Greulich partnership in 1916, the building was purchased by Frank Greulich . . . — Map (db m96873) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — The Peoples Warehouse
"The People's Warehouse" was known as Pendleton's Greatest Department Store in its heyday at the turn of the century. The People's Warehouse Store began operation in the building located on the Northwest corner of Main and Court. By 1915 the store . . . — Map (db m111766) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — U.S. Post Office & Courthouse
This brick building was constructed in 1916 by the Federal Government and has been in continuous use as a Post Office and Courthouse since that time. The structure was dedicated as the John F. Kilkenny United States Courthouse and Post Office on . . . — Map (db m111682) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Umatilla CountyHistoric Oregon Trail.
Weary emigrants traveling westward on the Oregon Trail favored a campsite on the near bank of the Umatilla River at this point. On leaving they climbed the same hill the highway now traverses. Then recrossed the Umatilla River at Echo 20 hot dusty . . . — Map (db m111912) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Union Pacific Depot
The existing Depot building was built in 1909 by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company. The depot building is primarily styled after architecture of the Mediterranean, as seen in the tiled hip roof, decorative roof support brackets and brick . . . — Map (db m111599) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Woodmen of the World
Built to be used by the Fraternal Order of the Eagles, this building was later bought by the Woodmen of the World for their fraternal organization. The second floor housed a grand ballroom and stage, while the top floor was a large banquet hall and . . . — Map (db m111716) HM

44 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.