On U.S. 2 at Ranger Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 2.
The Brule River flows in the former channel of a larger river which once flowed in the opposite direction and drained melting ice from glacial lake Duluth. The receding glacier created Lake Superior and also carved the valley now occupied by the . . . — — Map (db m58502) HM
Near U.S. 2 at Ranger Road, on the left when traveling west.
In June and July 1680
Daniel Greysolon Sieur Dulhut
“Gentleman of the King’s Guard”
Soldier, Explorer, Trader, and Governor
accompanied by four Frenchmen
LaMaitre, Bellegrade, Masson, and Pepin,
passed up the Brule River, . . . — — Map (db m58504) HM
Near Packer Avenue north of Spruce Drive, on the right when traveling north.
In September 1860, Antoine Gordon arrived from Madeline Island and established a trading post at the junction of the St. Croix and Eau Claire rivers. This land had long been the summer home of the Chippewa Indians who used the Brule-St. Croix . . . — — Map (db m43698) HM
On County Route B at County Route F, on the right when traveling west on County Route B.
Here, in 1903, Dr. W.B. Hopkins, Cumberland, opened the first tuberculosis sanatorium in Wisconsin. He built an office and three one-story frame buildings with screen sides – the men’s ward, the women’s ward and a dining hall.
Hopkins . . . — — Map (db m72193) HM
On Main Street east of County Highway D, on the left when traveling east.
It was here that Major Richard I. Bong was born, received his education, and grew to manhood. After attending Superior State College where he received his first pilot training, he joined the U.S. Army Air Corps on May 29, 1941. Assigned to the New . . . — — Map (db m72259) HM
On Memorial Drive east of South Village Road, on the left when traveling east.
This Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter, through the efforts of General George C. Kenney, was donated by the United States Air Force in memory of Major Richard I. Bong. Major Bong a native of Poplar, was credited with destroying 40 Japanese aircraft in . . . — — Map (db m43433) HM
Near Business U.S. 53 0.2 miles north of U.S. 53, on the right when traveling north.
The Brule and St. Croix rivers provide the natural water highway between Lake Superior and the Upper Mississippi. Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut, in 1680 was the first white man to use this passage.
Traveling from Prairie du Chien in 1766, . . . — — Map (db m43476) HM
Approximately one mile northeast of this point, a continental divide separates the watersheds of the Brule and St. Croix Rivers. The Brule flows north to Lake Superior and the St. Croix flows southerly to the Mississippi. A time worn trail connects . . . — — Map (db m23482) HM
On County Road A 0.2 miles south of County Road P, on the right when traveling north.
Upper Lake St. Croix end of trail,
Indians, voyageurs, explorers,
missionaries, traders and pioneers travelled
this path from the waters of the
Great Lakes to those of the Mississippi.
To all who pass this way . . . — — Map (db m58505) HM
Near State Highway 13 at Old Highway 13, on the right when traveling east.
Built by Finnish immigrant and homesteader, Jacob (Tapola) Davidson, it served Old-Brule and Lakeside in the South Shore region from 1904 to 1926. Constructed of native materials, it was used for milling locally grown grains for both animal and . . . — — Map (db m76206) HM
On East 1st Street 0.2 miles west of 37th Avenue East, on the right when traveling west.
These docks, the largest in the world, consist of three structures of concrete and steel. The longest dock is 2244 feet long, 80 feet high, and contains 374 individual pockets which can hold 100,000 long tons of ore, or 7 average trains of 205 cars . . . — — Map (db m68702) HM
Near East 2nd Street (U.S. 2 / 53) 0.4 miles east of 57th Avenue East (County Highway E), on the right when traveling east.
Over millions of years, the forces of nature have given Northwest Wisconsin some of the finest scenery in the world. The most striking feature is Lake Superior, largest freshwater lake in the world and the "Gitche Gumee" of Henry Wadsworth . . . — — Map (db m43390) HM
On Harbor View Parkway/East Second Street (U.S. 53).
The Sioux uprising in Minnesota during the Summer of 1862, culminating in the New Ulm Massacre, caused great alarm in Superior. A Committee of Safety was chosen, a Home Guard organized, and a stockade built on the bay shore here. An inventory of all . . . — — Map (db m33950) HM
The Great Lakes whaleback fleet was the revolutionary result of Capt. Alexander McDougall's attempts to improve conventional ship design. Between 1888 and 1898, 43 whalebacks were launched and became forerunners of the bulk fleet on the Great Lakes . . . — — Map (db m31632) HM
On May 31, 1928, President Calvin Coolidge accepted former Senator Irvine Lenroot's invitation to spend the summer in the Superior area. Henry Clay Pierce had offered Cedar Island Lodge, part of a 4,000 acre Brule River estate, to serve as living . . . — — Map (db m52127) HM
Near Wisconsin Point Road 3.4 miles north of Moccasin Mike Road.
The Superior Entry is the only natural opening through the longest fresh water sandbar in the world. Sand deposits from the lake and the rivers created the bar forming the harbor about 3000 years ago.
The Entry, as first charted in 1861, was . . . — — Map (db m43395) HM
On Catlin Avenue 0.1 miles south of Belknap Street (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling south.
Authorized by the legislature in 1893, the University of Wisconsin-Superior opened its doors in 1896 as the state's seventh Normal School to train teachers, drawing most of its students from ten northern Wisconsin counties. The original building, . . . — — Map (db m43388) HM