Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cass County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial - Marker 1 image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, July 9, 2014
Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial - Marker 1
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial
(Marker 1) Captain Kincheloe Born July 2, 1928, was a Korean War fighter ace who flew the rocket-powered Bell X-2 to a world record altitude of 126,200 feet on September 7, 1956. He died July 26, 1958, in the service of his country . . . — Map (db m75414) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L487 — Cass County Courthouse
Completed in 1899, this wooden frame building with limestone veneer is the third courthouse to serve Cass County. The Territorial Government of Michigan established the county in 1829 and named it after then Governor Lewis Cass. Two years later . . . — Map (db m64729) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — Cass County Veterans Memorial
(Panel 1) “Who More Than Self Their Country Loved” 1946 (Panel 2) Korean Conflict 1950 to 1955 Name - City - DOB - DOD - Rank Eugene Waldo - Dowagiac - . . . — Map (db m75408) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — Cassopolis Veterans Memorial
In Memoriam Veterans Of All Wars Erected By Citizens of Cassopolis 1934 — Map (db m78174) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L1352 — Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery
In the 1830s southern runaway slaves bound for freedom in Canada came into Michigan near Cassopolis. In 1840, Cass County's Quaker community, which provided a haven for the fugitives, became an integral part of the Underground Railroad. Many free . . . — Map (db m64712) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — 30 — Freedom Road — Michigan Legal Milestone
Beginning in 1829, Penn, Calvin, and Porter townships in Cass County were settled by Quakers who migrated there. Free Blacks also settled there, and both groups lived in harmony. Blacks in Cass County enjoyed many rights, such as the right to own . . . — Map (db m79005) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — Lewis Cass — Governor - General - Grand Master
Born New Hampshire 1782. 18 years Governor of Territory of Michigan (1813-1831). Served Nation thirty years as Senator - Minister to France - Secretary of War - Secretary of State. Visited Zion Lodge No. 1 1812 - later affiliated. Permanent Michigan . . . — Map (db m75409) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L367 — Newton House
Designed by Christian Haefner in the 1860s, this house belonged to George Newton, a state legislator. The cupola, projecting eaves, and symmetrically grouped windows distinguish its architecture. This building is located in the 580 acre densely . . . — Map (db m64730) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — 19th Michigan Infantry Memorial
1861 – 1865    The 19th Mich. Inf. Was organized at Dowagiac, ‘62. Henry C. Gilbert, Colonel, left camp Sept. 14, ‘62 with 995 men. Mustered out of service Jun. 10, ‘65    Total Enrollment      1206    Killed in Action      54 . . . — Map (db m75366) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — Big Tree
This is the third 16 ft. section from the largest Tulip tree in Michigan. When this tree was blown down in May of 1984, it was approximately 300 yrs old and over 225 ft. tall. — Map (db m75361)
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — Dowagiac Civil War Monument
(South Side) Erected by H.C. Gilbert Post No. 47 G.A.R. Comrs. Fred E. Lee, Prest. J. Edwards, 1st Vice Prest. H. Goddings, 2nd Vice Prest. H.S. McMaster, Sec. Willis M. Farr, Tres. 1861-1865 (North Side) Cass . . . — Map (db m64761) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — Dowagiac World War I Memorial
(Southeast Panel) "It is an investment not a loss when a man gives his life for his country." (Northeast Panel) City of Dowagiac Floyd Ibbotson • Avery B. Wilkinson • David H. Starrett • Otis Messenger • Elmer . . . — Map (db m75362) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — Dowagiac World War II - Korean Conflict - Vietnam War Memorial
Proudly we pay tribute to those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II and Korea. World War II Arthur F. Abendroth • Charles W. Ball • John C. Clancy Jr. • Raymond Cowham • Alvin Cox • Bernhardt Dahlke • Paul E. Davis • . . . — Map (db m75367) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1977 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
Circuit-riding ministers established a Methodist class in Silver Creek Township in 1843. Five families attended the earliest meetings, held in the home of Leroy L. Curtis, the first class leader. In 1844 the Reverend David Whitlock was appointed . . . — Map (db m64737) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1724 — Indian Lake Cemetery
Indian Lake Cemetery has been in use since the 1840s and contains the remains of many of the earliest settlers of Silver Creek Township. Many of the community’s first funerals were held in a log schoolhouse immediately to the south of here. In 1852 . . . — Map (db m75358) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — Pickett's Corner
. . . — Map (db m75972) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L348 — Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church
Chief Leopold Pokagon and his tribe of Potawatomi Indians built a log church here in 1838 and deeded the forty acres of land on which it stood to the Catholic Bishop of Detroit. Pokagon, who came to Silver Creek Township from his village outside of . . . — Map (db m64735) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1028A — St. Paul's Church / Episcopal Church
(Obverse Side) St. Paul's Church Under the leadership of Justus Gage (1805-1875), this structure was built as a Universalist church. Completed at a cost of $3,000, it is Dowagiac's oldest public building. At the time of completion, . . . — Map (db m64731) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — The Dowagiac River Watershed / Lunker Structures
(Side One) The Dowagiac River Watershed A watershed is all of the area that drains into a common body of water. The snow and rain that falls within the watershed boundaries, and does not evaporate, will drain into the Dowagiac . . . — Map (db m75359)
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — Willis M. Farr
Farr Park is named for Michigan native and Civil War veteran Willis M. Farr, born August 1, 1844, who was an industrialist and a Dowagiac city alderman in the 1880's. Mr. Farr was a partner in Dowagiac Manufacturing Co., a maker of grain drills. . . . — Map (db m75368) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L821A — District Schoolhouse
This late-Victorian schoolhouse was built in 1874-75. Constructed at a cost of $3,000, it is made of locally manufactured yellow and red brick. The 1882 Cass County History described it as "the best rural schoolhouse in the State." Its two . . . — Map (db m64644) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — Schoolhouse Bell
The District No. 5 bell was originally installed in 1875. The Bell was removed from the building in 1964, during remodeling, and sold to a local farmer. It was later sold to James Loop, who took it to his home in Wichita, Kansas. In 1996, the bell . . . — Map (db m64646) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L652A — Smith's Chapel
The first Methodist church in Milton Township was organized in 1839. The following year, this church was built and named Smith's Chapel to honor Canon Smith, who had contributed generously to the construction of the church. Smith, a native of . . . — Map (db m64740) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L2079/354 — The Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
In 1831, Luther Humphrey of the American Home Missionary Society organized the Presbyterian Church of Edwardsburg. He described the village as "a few log cabins...standing amongst the bushes and brush." Members worshipped in homes until the chapel . . . — Map (db m122217) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Howard — Howard Township Hall
The first white settlers located in this vicinity about 1826. The first school was held in an abandoned log cabin in the northwest part of the township in 1833. Howard Township was organized by an Act of the Territorial Legislature on March 7, 1834. . . . — Map (db m64741) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Jones — L1817C — Poe's Corners
In 1835, George Poe (1779-1851) emigrated from Crawford County, Ohio, and settled on land deeded to him by the U.S. government. Within two years he acquired 520 acres of land in Newberg Township. Many members of the Poe family settled in this . . . — Map (db m64546) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Marcellus — Honor Roll of War Veterans of Marcellus and Vicinity
War of 1812 John M. Bauder • Samuel Bridge • J. Haley Brown • Edward Littell • John Savage • Justus Sheffield • Fordice Sheldon Black Hawk War Joseph Bair Civil War Benj. F. Adams • Wm. P. Akerly • Hugh Anderson • . . . — Map (db m75288) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Marcellus — Honor Roll War Veterans of Marcellus and Vicinity
World War II Harry H. Abrams • Jack Abrams Jr. • John R. Allyn • Amy Wells Anderson • ★ Richard J. Anderson • Edwin Hugh Anthony • George A. Arnott • Floyd Artis • Bert Bainbridge • ★ Paul Bainbridge • Duane W. Bair • Lee L. . . . — Map (db m75326) WM
Michigan (Cass County), Pokagon — L668 — Methodist Episcopal Church / The Old Rugged Cross
(Obverse Side) Methodist Episcopal Church Circuit-riding Methodist ministers held religious services in Pokagon Township during the 1830s and 1840s. A class was organized in Sumnerville in 1840. In 1876 the Methodists purchased . . . — Map (db m64747) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Sumnerville — S666/L667 — Sumnerville Mounds / Sumnerville Cemetery
(Obverse Side) Sumnerville Mounds Between the first and fourth centuries A.D. Hopewell Indians built nine burial mounds near here. The six remaining earthen mounds reflect the Hopewellian culture, which flourished in the Eastern . . . — Map (db m64742) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Vandalia — Birch Lake Meeting House
Quakers from the mid-Atlantic region settled here during the 1830's. This is the site of the meeting house, built in 1856, which replaced a log cabin dating from 1837. The congregation contained many active Abolitionists, and this area soon became . . . — Map (db m68407) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Vandalia — S137 — The Underground Railroad
Vandalia, prior to the Civil War, was the junction of two important "lines" of the "Underground Railroad." Slaves fleeing through Indiana and Illinois came to Cass County, where Quakers and others gave them shelter. Fugitives seeking a refuge in . . . — Map (db m64724) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Vandalia — The Underground Railway
This boulder commemorates a station of the Underground Railway used from 1840 to 1850. It was the home of Stephen Bogue who aided runaway slaves on their way to freedom. — Map (db m68754) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.