Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hancock County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
100 Men D.B.A. Hall Marker (Rear) image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, February 19, 2015
100 Men D.B.A. Hall Marker (Rear)
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — 132 — 100 Men D.B.A. Hall
Front The 100 Men D.B.A. Hall, a longtime center of African American social life and entertainment, was built in 1922 by the One Hundred Members’ Debating Benevolent Association. Over the years the association sponsored many events and . . . — Map (db m80992) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Elmwood Manor
Located here was a two-story, French Creole house, with two-tiered galleries. Although construction may have begun prior to the War of 1812, the house was not completed until 1828. Situated on a large plantation, with Sea Island cotton its . . . — Map (db m108380) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — First Baptist Church of Bay St. Louis
First established as the Elim Baptist Church in 1858, this congregation was dissolved in 1877 and revitalized in April 1896 as First Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. O.D. Bowen. The church moved to this location on Main Street in October . . . — Map (db m108381) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Hancock County Bank
Hancock County Bank opened on October 9, 1899. Weeks later the bank's board of directors purchased this property at the corner of Main Street and South Beach as the site of a new headquarters. Bay St. Louis's first two-story brick building, the . . . — Map (db m108455) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Naval Battle of Bay St. Louis
On Dec. 14, 1814, five U.S. gunboats fired on a British fleet entering Lake Borgne. Their action was the last naval defense of the U.S. before the victory of General Andrew Jackson at New Orleans. — Map (db m78939) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Old Spanish Customs House
On this site stood the "Spanish Customs House," perhaps the oldest structure in Bay St. Louis. The house is believed to have been built by French colonist Hyacinth Caron in 1787. The date of construction is based on an inscription in the . . . — Map (db m108576) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Our Lady of the Gulf
Established 1847 by Bishop J.J. Chanche, S.S., first Bishop of Natchez. Mother church of Hancock County, third oldest Catholic parish on the Gulf Coast and fifth oldest in Mississippi. — Map (db m108548) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Pearl Rivers
The summer home of George and Eliza Jane Poitevent Nicholson, locally known as "Fort" Nicholson, was located here. Better known as "Pearl Rivers." Eliza Nicholson (1849-1896) was a poet, writer, and published of the New Orleans . . . — Map (db m108581) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Publius Rutilius Rufus Pray
Born in Maine, 1793, Hancock Co. judge. Served in Miss. House of Representatives, 1827 - 29. Pres. of St. Const. Conven., 1832. Elected judge of High Court of Errors and Appeals, 1837. Died 1840. — Map (db m80400) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — St. Augustine’s Seminary
Founded 1920 in Greenville, Miss., by Divine Word Missionaries. Moved to Bay St. Louis, 1923. Oldest existing Catholic seminary in Miss. for training of young men as missionary brothers & priests. — Map (db m81044) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — St. Joseph's Academy
On January 7, 1855, a Catholic parochial school was established on this site by the Sisters of St. Joseph who came to Bay St. Louis from Bourg, France at the request of Reverend Louis Stanislaus Buteux, first pastor of Our Lady of the Gulf Catholic . . . — Map (db m108514) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — St. Stanislaus College
Founded 1854, by Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Oldest institution of learning on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. On Beach Boulevard, facing the Gulf, the school became college preparatory in 1923. — Map (db m108379) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Gainesville — Gainesville Volunteers
In 1860, John Deason, a Mexican War Veteran, organized a militia company here. The "Gainesville Volunteers" entered Confederate service in 1861 as Co. G. of the Third Mississippi Infantry. During the Civil War the unit served in the Gulf Coast . . . — Map (db m8755) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — F-1 Rocket Engine
Developed by Rocketdyne, five F-1 engines powered the S-1C first stage of the Saturn V rocket that launched humans to the moon during the Apollo Program and later to the orbiting Skylab spacecraft. The F-1, with 1,522,000 pounds of thrust, is the . . . — Map (db m107962) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — H-1 Rocket Engine
Developed by Rocketdyne, the H-1 rocket engine burned liquid oxygen and propellant RP-1, a kerosene derivative. A cluster of eight H-1 engines powered the Saturn S-1B rocket's first stage, providing a total of 1.6 million pounds of thrust. — Map (db m107987) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Infinity Eagle
It took technology for our natural occurring species to take wings and leave the earth. This sculpture is yet another gift to the people of the Mississippi Coast from renowned artist Marlin Miller and his son, Preston. All of the metal was . . . — Map (db m108139) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — John C. Stennis Space Center
In 1961 President John F. Kennedy announced plans to send humans to the moon. NASA selected this site for an engine testing facility for the Apollo Moon program. During its construction in 1963, nearly 6,100 workers began building three . . . — Map (db m107881) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Logtown
Founded here in 1848, Logtown was home to the Weston Lumber Company, founded in 1889, which became one of the largest lumber milling operations in the United States during the 1920s. By 1961 the last 250 residents were removed to make way for the . . . — Map (db m107866) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Logtown Cemetery and Possum Walk
In the early 1900's, there were 2,000-3,000 residents of Logtown. There was a two-story general store, company offices, homes built in rustic versions of the popular Queen Anne style, a public school with classes through 12th grade, several wooden . . . — Map (db m107883) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Lunar Lander
During the 1960s, this vehicle was used as a trainer by the Apollo astronauts for their moon missions. "The Eagle has landed," said astronaut Neil Armstrong as he and Buzz Aldrin descended in their Lunar Lander onto the lunar surface, . . . — Map (db m108365) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Special Operations Craft Riverine(SOC-R)
The SOC-R is designed as a high speed boat with ample weapons and equipment capacity. Its primary mission is insertion/extraction of SEALs into a low-to-medium threat environment in a riverine area. Secondary missions include providing fire . . . — Map (db m107880) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — TAO Buoy
NOAA completed the Tropical Atmosphere Ocean (TAO) array for the detection of El Niño and La Niña in the Pacific Ocean in 1994 after 10 years of development in which NOAA deployed 400 buoys on 83 separate cruises. Today, NOAA and the Japanese . . . — Map (db m107882) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Tsunami Buoy
In 1995, NOAA began the development of the Deep-ocean Assessment and Detection of Tsunami (DART) system to provide better warnings for tsunami-prone communities. Until 2004, the U.S. operated 6 systems in the Pacific Ocean, however the network has . . . — Map (db m107875) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Brown's Vineyard
Located at this site, Brown's Vineyard, established 1874, was a popular resort during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The wine, produced on site from scuppernong grapes, was marketed and sold across the United States. The vineyard, which . . . — Map (db m49061) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — From the People of Waveland
In appreciation and gratitude to all who gave their time, energy, and money to help us recover from Hurricane Camille. On August 17, 1969 our city was devastated, but those who cared came to her rescue. — Map (db m108426) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Gulfside Assembly
Originally called the Gulfside Chatauqua and Camp Meeting Ground, Gulfside was founded in 1923 by Robert E. Jones, the first black Methodist Bishop. At the time, it was the only resort in the Gulf Region open to black Methodists. In 1980, Gulfside . . . — Map (db m108598) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Hurricane Katrina2005
Never has there been such a volunteer effort than was shown after Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005. We thank all who came to our aid and gave us hope and help after the devastation of this storm. May God Bless. — Map (db m108392) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Sea Song Plantation
The home of Andrew Jackson, Jr., a nephew and the adopted son of President Jackson, was located here. Jackson and his wife Sarah, who named the plantation, lived here just before the Civil War. The Jacksons sold the property in 1861. The house, . . . — Map (db m108577) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — The "Pirate House"
According to local tradition, the "Pirate House," located here, was built as early as 1802 and was frequented by famed pirate Jean Lafitte and his associates. Later remodeled as a Greek Revival structure, the house is believed to have a secret . . . — Map (db m108459) HM

29 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement