Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hutchinson County Texas Historical Markers

 
Ace Borger Home Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
Ace Borger Home Marker
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 77 — Ace Borger Home
The founder of Borger, Missouri-born Asa P. ("Ace") Borger (1888-1934), established other cities in Texas and Oklahoma before he platted this townsite in 1926 and helped transform a rowdy oil town into a stable community. In 1928-29 . . . — Map (db m93318) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 319 — Battle of Adobe Walls
Fifteen miles to the site of the Battle of Adobe Walls Fought on November 25, 1864 between Kiowa and Comanche Indians and United States troops commanded by Colonel Christopher Carson 1809 – 1868 This was "Kit" Carson's . . . — Map (db m93256) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 17949 — Beale Road
Edward Fitzgerald “Ned” Beale was a significant figure in 19th century America. In his long career, he was a naval officer, military general, explorer, diplomat, rancher and frontiersman. He fought in the U.S. - Mexico War, emerging as a . . . — Map (db m93344) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 375 — Bents Creek — (About 15 miles east)
Named for Charles (1799-1847) and William Bent (1809-1869), famed for frontier trading with mountain men and "wild" Indians. As early as 1835 they came from their headquarters near present La Junta, Colo., to trade with . . . — Map (db m93255) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 17603 — Booker T. Washington School
Two years after Borger's founding, a 1928 scholastic census counted five African American students in two families. Bethel Baptist Church, on the city's west side, hosted the first school for black children, with Mrs. Tallie Anderson Smith, who . . . — Map (db m93316) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — Borger 1929 Jail
Texas Rangers came to Boomtown Borger in 1929, to clean out the town of corruption, bootlegging, and prostitution. Prisoners were chained together and secured to a log such as this one. This crude jail was used to hold them until their day in court . . . — Map (db m93320) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 16744 — East Ward Elementary School
In 1926, even though the city of Borger had not yet been formally organized, some of the citizens petitioned the Hutchinson County Commissioners Court to incorporate an independent school system. Borger I.S.D. was officially organized on Jul. 28, . . . — Map (db m93317) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 1748 — First Methodist Church of Borger
A. P. "Ace" Borger purchased 240 acres of land here in January 1926 and began to establish a new town. Within ninety days, the oil field town named for Borger had a population of more than 50,000 people. The Rev. W. M. Lane, the presiding elder . . . — Map (db m93340) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 2017 — Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail
Josiah Gregg (1806-50) blazed the Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail in 1840 as a shorter route between the U.S. and New Mexico. He crossed this site on March 17, 1840, while returning to Arkansas from a trading expedition to Santa Fe and . . . — Map (db m93343) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — Fritz Thompson Bridge — Dedicated 1975
Fritz Thompson was Hutchinson County Commissioner from 1937 through 1952, during which time much of the highway system in Hutchinson County was conceived. He was Borger City Manager from October 1, 1953 to September 30, 1956, during which time he . . . — Map (db m93257) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 15271 — Girl Scout Little House
This community landmark has its origins in Borger's prewar oil boom. In early 1941, Hudson Davis opened a car dealership here, moving his family from Amarillo. Hudson and his wife Ruby immediately became involved in civic activities, with Hudson . . . — Map (db m93341) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 2247 — Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building
After the discovery of oil in this area, Borger developed as a townsite in 1926. Gus (1895-1971) and John Yiantsou (1881-1948), Greek immigrants, came here from St. Louis and opened a restaurant. Gus bought this property and in 1927 erected this . . . — Map (db m93339) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 12096 — Plemons Cemetery
The town of Plemons was settled about 1898 when James A. Whittenburg, an area rancher, built a dugout house in a hill overlooking a bend in the Canadian River about seven miles northeast of this site. The town was named for Barney Plemons, son of . . . — Map (db m93254) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — Quanah Parker Trail — Texas Plains Trail Region
Battles at Adobe Walls near here: Comanches & Allied Tribes 1864 Quanah Parker & Allied Tribes 1874 Arrow Sculptor: Charles A. Smith — Map (db m93321) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 4818 — Site of John and Maggie Weatherly Half-Dugout Site — (1 mile west)
This structure is a copy of a half-dugout erected in 1898 near this location by John (1865-1944) and Maggie Weatherly (1875-1968). The High Plains offered no native stone or timber for building materials. Instead, . . . — Map (db m93342) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 5578 — Twentieth Century Club
Borger, the oil-boom town that sprang to life here in 1926, had among its otherwise transient and rowdy early citizenry, a social and professional group of people accustomed to a more refined cultural and literary environment. Such a person was . . . — Map (db m93319) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Fritch — 12095 — Antelope Creek Ruins
Plains Village Native Americans occupied a series of interconnected rock dwellings near here from about 1200-1500. Called "Texas' first apartment house," the ruins have been the focus of numerous excavations through the years. Made of native . . . — Map (db m71822) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Skellytown — 12442 — Spring Creek School
Established in 1900, a year before Hutchinson County was formally organized, the Spring Creek School is an early and significant part of the county's educational heritage. In that year, W. B. Haile and other area ranchers collected funds to buy . . . — Map (db m93759) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Stinnett — Adobe Walls Battle Ground
Here on June 27, 1874 about 700 picked warriors from the Comanche, Cheyenne and Kiowa Indian tribes were defeated by 28 brave frontiersmen: James Hanbahan • Billy Tyler • “Bat” Masterson • Dutch Henry • Mike Welch • — Keeler • . . . — Map (db m63864) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Stinnett — 1286 — Drift Fence
Famed cattleman Charles Goodnight established one of the first ranches in the Texas Panhandle, the JA ranch, in 1876. Later that year Thomas S. Bugbee established the first cattle ranch in Hutchinson County. As a result of soaring beef prices . . . — Map (db m71820) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Stinnett — 1690 — First Battle of Adobe Walls — (November 25, 1865)
Largest Indian battle in Civil War. 15 miles east, at ruins of Bent's Old Fort, on the Canadian. 3,000 Comanches and Kiowas, allies of the South, met 372 Federals under Col. Kit Carson, famous scout and mountain man. Though Carson made a . . . — Map (db m93248) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Stinnett — 2602 — Hutchinson County Courthouse
Hutchinson County, named for prominent judge and writer Anderson Hutchinson, was one of 54 counties created out of the District of Bexar in 1876 by the Texas Legislature. It was not until 1901, however, that the county was officially organized. That . . . — Map (db m93250) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Stinnett — 2 — Isaac McCormick Cottage — "Birthplace of Hutchinson County"
Built 1899 with materials hauled at great peril across the Canadian - then without a bridge. Mr. McCormick, his wife, Capitola, and eight children lived in a covered wagon and a tent while they put up their house. Home became cradle of county . . . — Map (db m93249) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.