Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Roane County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Historic Roane County Courthouse Museum image, Touch for more information
By Donald Raby, January 1, 2002
Historic Roane County Courthouse Museum
Tennessee (Roane County), Kingston — 1F 25 — Capitol for a Day
On Sept 21 1807, the State Legislature met on this site, and immediately resolved to "adjourn forthwith from Kingston," to meet in Knoxville on the 23rd. This brief meeting was in technical fulfillment of terms in a treaty with the Cherokees by . . . — Map (db m32685) HM
Tennessee (Roane County), Kingston — KingstonFormer State Capital
(west side) The Second Capital of Tennessee In 1806, the General Assembly of Tennessee passed a resolution that its next meeting be “at the town of Kingston near South-West Point.” On Monday, September 21, 1807, the . . . — Map (db m42951) HM
Tennessee (Roane County), Kingston — Roane County War of 1812 Memorial
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of the American soldiers and sailors of the War of 1812 who enlisted here. This tablet is erected by the Tennessee National Society United States Daughters of 1812 and the Court of Roane . . . — Map (db m42950) WM
Tennessee (Roane County), Oak Ridge — 1F 37 — Oak Ridge
In 1943, Oak Ridge was created as the residential center for the Clinton Engineering Works. Located on the northeast corner of a 59,000-acre reservation acquired by the government in 1942, the community was designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, . . . — Map (db m82315) HM
Tennessee (Roane County), Oak Ridge — 1F 45 — Poplar Creek Seminary
Wheat Community Citizens established the Poplar Creek Seminary in 1877 as a center of higher education for area children. The Seminary's name was changed in 1886 to Roane College, chartered by the state of Tennessee as an accredited college. At its . . . — Map (db m88463) HM
Tennessee (Roane County), Oak Ridge — 1F 38 — The Wheat Community
The Wheat Community was settled during the middle of the 19th century and took its name from the first postmaster, Frank Wheat. The area had originally been known as Bald Hill. Roane College, a liberal arts college, operated here from 1886-1908. . . . — Map (db m121332) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.