Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Runnels County Texas Historical Markers

 
Abilene & Southern Depot image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, July 13, 2016
Abilene & Southern Depot
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 14601 — Abilene & Southern Depot
On S. 7th Street (U.S. 83) south of Sealy Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Morgan Jones (1840-1926), a Welsh-born railroad builder, and his nephews Morgan C. (1876-1964) and Percy Jones (1885-1951) built the Abilene & Southern Rail Line in 1909 between Abilene and Ballinger. This stone structure was finished soon after the . . . — Map (db m95923) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 288 — Ballinger
On 7th St. (U.S. 83) at Hutchings Ave. (U.S. 67), on the right when traveling north on 7th St..
Originally called Hutchins City. Promoted by Santa Fe Rwy. Named for Judge William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), railroad attorney and townsite official. Distinguished Texas statesman, veteran of the Mexican War. In the Civil War helped establish . . . — Map (db m61476) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 732 — Carnegie Library Building
On 8th Street north of Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This native limestone library was built in 1909-11 with funds from New York industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Local banker Jo Wilmeth donated the land and the Rev. J. D. Leslie, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, served as . . . — Map (db m72229) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 816 — Charles H. Noyes
On Hutchings Avenue (U.S. 67) at South 7th Street (U.S. 83), on the right when traveling north on Hutchings Avenue.
(1896-1917) Charles H. Noyes, 21, died when his horse fell while rounding up cattle on the Noyes' ranch. His father and mother, Gus and Lula Noyes, erected monument in 1919 as a tribute to their son and all Texas cowboys. Pompeo Coppini of . . . — Map (db m64007) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 976 — Colorado River Ferry Crossing
Near S. 8th Street 0.1 miles south of Kempner Avenue.
Used in 1880s for travel on Ballinger–San Angelo Road. Rates fixed by the county court ranged from one cent for a head of livestock to one dollar for 6 horses and a wagon.      Ferry was in use until building of first cedar and pine wood . . . — Map (db m95194) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — Company C, 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Division
On Hutchings Avenue east of 7th Street, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m72231) WM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 1817 — First Presbyterian Church
On N. Broadway Street (State Highway 158) at Phillips Avenue, on the right when traveling south on N. Broadway Street.
On July 26, 1886, soon after the railroad town of Ballinger was founded, a Presbyterian church with nine charter members was organized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Burt. A small frame sanctuary served the congregation until this structure was . . . — Map (db m95195) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 13790 — Hoffman Cemetery
On County Road 115 0.4 miles south of County Road 117, on the right when traveling south.
Historic Texas Cemetery — Map (db m96061) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 2685 — J.W. Clampitt(November 25, 1849 - May 20, 1927)
Near Hutchins Avenue (U.S. 67) 0.1 miles south of County Road 230, on the right when traveling south.
Pioneer Texas cattleman and law officer. Reared in Denton County, he joined brother-in-law in ranching, 1883–1886.They moved to “Free Grass” county of Presidio and ran Chalk Valley Ranch. Sometimes had to drive cattle 50 miles to . . . — Map (db m116223) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — Pickettville
On U.S. 67, on the right when traveling east.
County's first permanent settlement. Founded 1862 by Wm. Guest and Richard Coffey families, and R. K. and Henry Wylie. They built Picket houses and resided here 4 years. They also erected Picket corrals, later used by trail drivers John and . . . — Map (db m72286) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — Runnels County
On Hutchings Avenue (U.S. 67/83) east of 7th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Formed from Bexar and Travis Counties Created February 1, 1858 Organized February 16, 1880 Named in honor of Hiram G. Runnels 1796 - 1857 Lawyer and Governor of Mississippi Member of the Texas Legislature County Seat, Runnels . . . — Map (db m72285) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 4392 — Runnels County Courthouse
On Hutchings Avenue (U.S. 67/83) east of 7th Street, on the right when traveling west.
Constructed here, 1888-89, after hotly contested battle with Runnels City for county seat. (County had been organized 1880.) Structure stands on one of largest courthouse squares in Texas – 2 city blocks. Plot set aside prior to townlot . . . — Map (db m72233) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — Runnels County Veterans Memorial
On Hutchings Avenue (U.S. 63/87) east of 7th Street, on the right when traveling east.
This memorial monument area is dedicated this date, Nov. 11, 1994, to the men and women of Runnels County who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America, especially to those who so gallantly gave their lives to make this a free . . . — Map (db m72232) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 4530 — San Clemente Mission(Site Located 10 Miles Southeast)
On U.S. 83 0.5 miles from Farm to Market Road 2406, on the right when traveling north.
The first mission known to have been established in Texas east of the Pecos River, San Clemente was a hastily built, two-room structure located on a hill about 17 mi. S. of present Ballinger. (Some historians place the site farther south, near . . . — Map (db m96034) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 4390 — Site of the Town of Runnels
On Farm to Market Road 2887 0.1 miles north of County Road 342, on the left when traveling north.
First county seat of Runnels County Established in 1880 as Runnels City Declined after removal of the county seat to Ballinger in 1888 — Map (db m95239) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 5064 — St. Mary, Star of the Sea, Catholic Church
Near N. 6th Street south of Crosson Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Early Roman Catholic worship services in Ballinger were held by missionaries in a church building constructed in 1895. In 1910, during the pastorate of the Rev. J.B. Frigon, this building was completed to serve the congregation. Constructed of . . . — Map (db m95196) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — 5173 — Sylvester Adams(March 9, 1834 - Feb. 3, 1889)
Near Farm to Market Road 2887 0.6 miles south of County Road 261.
Born in Tennessee, Adams as a youth came to Texas with his father. A firm believer in the Confederate cause, he served at Galveston during the Civil War.      He helped organize Runnels County; was first county judge, 1880-1884; also served . . . — Map (db m95238) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Ballinger — War on Terror Memorial
On 8th Street north of Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated to the men and women who served during the War on Terror. 9/11/01 - — Map (db m72230) WM
Texas (Runnels County), Miles — 12170 — Miles Methodist Church
On Broadway Street at 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway Street.
In a small grove of trees beside a deep spring-fed pool known as China Mott, the Methodists of Miles built a tabernacle of willow and brush in 1891, shortly after the birth of Miles itself. Brother Smith, a circuit rider from Navarro County, was . . . — Map (db m95952) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Miles — 5459 — Old Thiele Building
Near Robinson Street (Farm to Market Road 1692) at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built 1904 by Joe Thiele (1850-1940), sheep rancher and civic leader. Native stone used here was dug at Willow Creek (2 mi. W). First floor housed Runnels County National Bank; upstairs was Miles Opera House–social and cultural center of . . . — Map (db m95951) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Norton — 3259 — Maverick
On State Highway 158 0.3 miles east of County Road 297, on the right when traveling east.
Founded in the 1870’s. Named for Samuel A. Maverick (1803-1870), who came to Texas 1835. Fought in the Texas War for Independence. In Secession Convention, 1861, he was made one of the commissioners to negotiate surrender of United States troops in . . . — Map (db m95277) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Norton — 3613 — Town of Norton
On Farm to Market Road 383 at Eastland Street, on the right when traveling north on Road 383.
Named for George W. Norton of Kentucky, who about 1882 bought and later developed the divide between Oak and Valley creeks. Post office, established in 1894, was at first in home (1.5 mi. NE) of postmaster Marion A. Wilkerson. This facility and a . . . — Map (db m82408) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Norton — 3211 — Townsite of Marie
On County Road 214 1 mile east of County Road 215, on the right when traveling east.
Settlement of this area of Runnels County began at the end of the 19th century. Attracted by the good climate and farmland, Charlie Black (1868-1946) arrived in the area in 1899. Another early settler was Walter Gentry, and when a post office was . . . — Map (db m82409) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Norton — 5671 — W.H. Brown(Oct. 21, 1853 - Sept. 19, 1875)
Near County Road 297 0.3 miles south of State Highway 158, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Georgia. With his parents came to Texas 1857. He and a brother, John, were Texas Rangers – W.H. “Billy” serving June-December 1874.      Billy Brown was the last man killed by Indians in Runnels County, in a fight to . . . — Map (db m95278) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Novice — 108 — Alec Simmons
Near Farm to Market Road 382 0.6 miles south of County Road 181, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
Civil War soldier from Lemon Gap (7 miles northwest). Was buried here in an unmarked grave prior to 1897. — Map (db m79246) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Novice — 1077 — Cotton Production in Runnels County
On Farm to Market Road 382 0.3 miles north of County Road 189, on the right when traveling north.
In 1884, when most of Runnels County was range for livestock, R.F. Counts (1838-1892) planted an experimental cotton field near this site. His success encouraged other area farmers, who raised 88 bales in 1888. First cotton gin in the nearby town of . . . — Map (db m78283) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Novice — 1083 — Counts Cemetery
On County Road 181 0.2 miles west of Farm to Market Road 382, on the left when traveling west.
Earliest known interment was that of a child, Mary Louisa Hale, on Nov. 30, 1880. In Jan. 1884, Andy and Christian Fannin sold 4 acres to M.C. Bright, J.M. Carter, R.F. Counts, John A. Chambers, J.M. Givens, D.W. and William Hale, Alf. A. Hanscomb, . . . — Map (db m79245) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Novice — 1042 — Old Townsite of Content
On County Road 189 at County Road 194, on the left when traveling east on County Road 189.
Named because of contentment of this valley. Founded 1881 by Dan W. Hale. Michael C. Bright, 1882 settler, early county commissioner, had a general store at this site. Family worked for progress of the area. Renamed “Tokeen”, town . . . — Map (db m79243) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Novice — 4195 — Ranger Campsite
On Farm to Market Road 382 0.3 miles north of County Road 189, on the right when traveling north.
One-half mile east of here, some twenty-five to thirty Texas Rangers of Company E were stationed in 1874, under the command of Capt. W.J. “Jeff” Maltby. They kept sentries posted on nearby “Ranger Peak” to guard against . . . — Map (db m78285) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Novice — 4198 — Ranger Peak
On Farm to Market Road 382 0.3 miles north of County Road 189, on the right when traveling north.
Named for Company E, Texas Rangers, which was stationed ½ mile east of peak in 1874. Atop peak, Rangers (under Capt. W.J. “Jeff” Maltby) kept a lookout for Indians. Outfit was part of the Frontier Battalion, organized to protect . . . — Map (db m78284) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Rowena — 3844 — Oldest Rock Building in City
On Depot Street at Victor Street, on the left when traveling south on Depot Street.
Completed in 1903. 24-inch walls are made of sand and lime mix mortar. Originally used as grain and feed store. — Map (db m12077) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Rowena — 18345 — Rowena
On Edward Street (Farm to Market Road 2133) at Mary Street, on the right when traveling east on Edward Street.
Rowena was originally laid out by Paul J. Baron in 1897. A Santa Fe Railroad section house known as Rowena Station had been established in the area in 1888; however, the post office officially denied this name as it too much resembled Ravenna in . . . — Map (db m108601) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Rowena — 4979 — Sons of Hermann LodgeNo. 216
On Edward Street (Farm to Market Road 2133) west of Concho Road, on the right when traveling east.
Organized in 1904 as Rowena Chapter of the Sons of Hermann, worldwide benevolent fraternal organization.      Named for German national hero and tribal leader Hermann the Defender (18 B.C. - 19 A.D.), who helped break Roman power east of the Rhine . . . — Map (db m96031) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Rowena — 16206 — SPJST Lodge No. 49
On Concho Road (Farm to Market Road 2133) south of Ewald Street, on the right when traveling south.
On May 2, 1904, eighteen charter members organized SPJST Lodge No. 49 in Runnels County. Founded just eight years after the SPJST’s organization, Lodge No. 49 continued the Czech-Texan benevolent society’s goals of promoting fellowship and Czech . . . — Map (db m96032) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Rowena — 5162 — Sweet Home School
On Old Sweet Home School Road (County Road 252) 0.2 miles north of County Road 253, on the right when traveling south.
The need for education in this rural area was met in 1902, when a two-room school was started on Emil Helm’s farm (1.5 mi. NW). The name “Sweet Home” was chosen by Henry Kriegel, one of the first trustees. In 1922 the school was moved to . . . — Map (db m96033) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Wingate — 4137 — Community of Pumphrey
On Farm to Market Road 1677 at County Road 309, on the right when traveling south on Road 1677.
Founded about 1899. Named for Wm. M. Pumphrey (1849-1937), early settler. A deacon of the Baptist Church, he would put his organ in a wagon on weekends and take it, his wife and 11 children to attend services in Wingate.      In 1900, as the . . . — Map (db m81912) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Wingate — 3269 — Site of Old Communities of Mazeland and Wilmeth
On Farm to Market Road 383 south of County Road 378, on the right when traveling south.
Mazeland (2½ mi. SW) was founded in 1903 when a post office and store opened on A.B. Hutchinson’s ranch. Community was probably named for the corn or “maize” which grows in the area. A one-room school, built 1 mi. W. (1904), later . . . — Map (db m81913) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — Blue Gap Post Office
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) north of E. Dale Street, on the right when traveling north.
Named for Gap in Table Mountain. Established Feb. 14, 1878; post office transferred in 1882 to the town of Content 2 miles north. The one-room structure has hand-hewn cedar rafters, cedar shingle roof, and walls of roughly-hewn oak logs. Also served . . . — Map (db m77996) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 17593 — Chick Inn Diner
On S. Main Street (U.S. 83) 0.2 miles south of County Road 385, on the right when traveling south.
Mass production of the automobile ushered in an era of business expansion and increased mobility. Food stands and booths quickly appeared along roadways for hungry motorists. These stands eventually evolved into the drive-in, complete with curb . . . — Map (db m104061) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 1108 — Crews
On State Highway 153 at Farm to Market Road 382, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 153.
Settled in 1880's. Named for C.R. Crews, Ballinger businessman. Mrs. Betty Sims was earliest voluntary teacher–mail carrier. School was built 1890 (with the Rev. Mr. Lockhart, first teacher). Post office established 1892 in Wise & Broughten . . . — Map (db m79248) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 1285 — Drasco Community
On Farm to Market Road 2595 at Farm to Market Road 2405, on the right when traveling west on Road 2595.
Originally called County Line. Name changed when general store owner R.O. Kerr applied for a post office and was granted one under name Drasco on Dec. 16, 1904. (Post office site is across street, south.) Kerr was postmaster until 1909.      First . . . — Map (db m81910) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 3713 — Old Cotton Oil Mill
On N. Melwood Street at W. College Street, on the left when traveling north on N. Melwood Street.
First local industrial plant. Processed cottonseed into cake, meal, hulls, oil. Gave city good payroll, a work whistle marking times of day, and a good aroma.      Built 1909-10 by Bird, Hall & Mertz, of San Angelo. Stone for millhouse was . . . — Map (db m82479) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 4061 — Poe Chapel
On State Highway 153 at Farm to Market Road 384, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 153.
Named in honor of William Wyatt Poe, who came to Texas from his native Alabama in late 1870. Married Jerusha Evaline Cline in 1885; had ten children.      Moved family to Runnels County, 1904. Gave land for school and church buildings. Was school . . . — Map (db m77945) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 4291 — Robert Cooke, M.D.
Near N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at W. College Street.
Born in Emory, Texas, youngest son of William and Nancy Cooke.      Attended Waco College (now Baylor University); medical school in Kentucky, received degree, 1886.      Began practice, Kentuckytown. Moved to Winters area in 1889. Became town’s . . . — Map (db m82478) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 4317 — Rock Hotel
Near W. Dales Street (Loop State Highway 438) at N. Melwood Street, on the right when traveling west.
This two-story native stone commercial structure was built by Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Heath, who operated a local mercantile in partnership with Ira Beard. Constructed to accommodate early travelers and workers on the railroad, the Rock Hotel was . . . — Map (db m95281) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 13307 — St. John's Lutheran Church
On W. Parsonage Street at N. West Street, on the right when traveling west on W. Parsonage Street.
Fritz Armbrecht, accompanied by his friend August Spill, Sr., was reportedly the first Lutheran to arrive in this area. The men came from Comal County in the 1880s and bought property, bringing their families here in 1890. Armbrecht’s land included . . . — Map (db m95280) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 17911 — Winters
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) north of E. Dale Street, on the right when traveling north.
From its beginning as a west central Texas frontier community Winters grew from a retail support center for the surrounding agricultural community to a small-town railroad link to an oil, gas and manufacturing center. Settlement of the area of . . . — Map (db m82443) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5870 — Winters Brass Band
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at E. College Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Main Street.
Focus of social life during Winters’ early years, the band played throughout the area for box suppers, old settlers reunions, and political campaigns. Charles Grant organized the group in 1901 (sever years after the town was incorporated) and . . . — Map (db m82477) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5871 — Winters FFA Chapter
On Poplar Street at N. Heights Street, on the right when traveling east on Poplar Street.
In the fall of 1928, a Future Farmers Club was organized with 30 members of the vocational agriculture class at Winters High School. The same year, a national Future Farmers of America (FFA) Club was started in Kansas City, Mo. On April 10, 1930, . . . — Map (db m95279) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — Winters Korean Veterans Memorial
Near N. Rogers Street at Novice Road (Farm to Market Road 1770).
In Honor Of Korean Veterans — Map (db m82613) WM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5872 — Winters Lodge No. 743, A.F. & A.M.
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at E. Dale Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Main Street.
Founded in upper room of schoolhouse ten years before Winters became a town. Chartered Dec. 7, 1892. First officers: J.T. Brown, Worshipful Master; Ervin Brown, Senior Warden; W.S. Mullin, Junior Warden.      After a 1910 fire, lodge moved to . . . — Map (db m82444) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — Winters Public Library
On Main Street (U.S. 83) north of Dale Street (Loop Texas Highway 438), on the right when traveling north.
Founded on January 4, 1954 by Miss Myra Glover Dedicated on October 13, 1963 Because she has given so generously of herself for the benefit of all, the Citizens of Winters, Texas, dedicate this library to Miss Myra Glover . . . — Map (db m71705) HM
Texas (Runnels County), Winters — 5873 — Winters State Bank
On N. Main Street (U.S. 83) at W. Dale Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Main Street.
Founded 1906 by John Q. McAdams, who served 17 years as cashier, and since as president. Original capitalization was $15,000.      First located immediately south; moved to this site 1909.      Bought Farmers & Merchants State Bank, 1913; First . . . — Map (db m82445) HM

53 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement