Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saint Tammany Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Abita Springs Marker image, Touch for more information
October 14, 2016
Abita Springs Marker
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Abita Springs — Abita Springs
Old Choctaw village which derived name from nearby medicinal springs. Last Choctaw burial and execution grounds, used until about 1880, located nearby. — Map (db m98938) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Bicentennial Covington #1Historical Point of View
In 1907, Guido Alexius and his sons Alfred, Cintio and John, founded Alexius Brothers and Company; and later his son Horace joined in the business. In 1915, this landmark establishment, originally a gym, was purchased. Later in the 20th century, . . . — Map (db m124019) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Bicentennial Covington #2Historical Point of View
Three rivers and several Indian trails converged in the area where Covington was founded. These major trade routes are what placed Covington at the center of commerce. They became the lifeline of trade and transport between points north of Lake . . . — Map (db m115599) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Christ Episcopal Church
Built 1846 by Jonathan Arthur of London for descendants of English settlers in British West Florida. Consecrated by Bishop Leonidas Polk, April 11, 1847. Christ Church is the oldest public building being used in Covington. — Map (db m99661) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Columbia Street
Columbia Street meets the river at the Columbia Street Landing. It was the first place visitors saw when they arrived in Covington. It was also the last stop on land for the area's principal exports on their way to market via the Bogue Falaya River . . . — Map (db m111591) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Columbia Street LandingBirthplace of Covington
An active harbor where schooners and steamers once docked. Established in the early 1800's, providing a vital link to other river cities transporting cotton, lumber, bricks, whiskey and mail. Oyster luggers brought fresh oysters regularly through . . . — Map (db m99520) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Courthouse Square and Historic Oaks
Courthouse Square and Historic Oaks These graceful oaks were planted hundreds of years ago, predating the street plan of 1813. The WWI monument seen in the image on the right is all that remains at this site following the demolition of the . . . — Map (db m100636) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Covington
John Wharton Collins donated land and founded Town of Wharton in March, 1813, named for his grandfather, John Wharton. Legislature changed name on March 11, 1816, to Covington, honoring Gen. Leonard Covington, 1812 War hero. — Map (db m98762) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — H.J. Smith and Sons Hardware and MuseumBicentennial Covington - Historical Point of View
Founded July 4, 1876, H.J. Smith and Sons Hardware and Museum is the oldest hardware and general store in the parish, housing unique artifacts pertaining to the history of Covington. Of note are the dugout cypress canoe and lead coffin. It is a . . . — Map (db m115765) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Original Homestead of Walker Percy
Homestead owned by Walker Percy, who was an American author and philosopher. He is best known for his philosophical novels set in and around New Orleans, the first of which, The Moviegoer, won the U.S. National Book award for fiction. Walker Percy . . . — Map (db m115405) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Public "Ox Lot" ParkingYou're in Ox Lot 16
Unique to Covington's downtown business district and a credit to our forefathers, our original town grid layout allowed for public squares in the middle of each block for the purpose of trade and commerce. Farmers would bring their oxen-laden carts . . . — Map (db m98940) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Public "Ox Lot" ParkingYou're In Ox Lot 18
Unique to Covington's downtown business district and a credit to our forefathers, our original town grid layout allowed for public squares in the middle of each block for the purpose of trade and commerce. Farmers would bring their oxen-laden carts . . . — Map (db m115782) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Reconstruction PeriodBicentennial Covington - Historical Point of View
During the Reconstruction Period, trade was still slow as the main source of land transportation was still the ox and the wagon. From the mid-1800s, the railroads were primarily used access the area's vast timber reserves, but once built, they were . . . — Map (db m115598) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Saint Peter Church
L'Abbé Jouanneault built the predecessor of St. Peter Church on the Bouge Falaya in 1843. The first resident pastor was Fr. J.M. Giraud, appointed in 1863 to serve Covington, Madisonville, Bedico, and Abita Springs. In 1892 Fr. Joseph Koegerl, . . . — Map (db m98979) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — St. Tammany Parish World War I Memorial
Erected and Dedicated To The Soldiers Of World War I 1920 Restored 2010

By St. Tammany Parish Kevin Davis, Parish President. — Map (db m115380) WM

Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — The Covington Bank and Trust BuildingCirca 1885
Probably the most significant economic development, not only for Covington but for the parish as a whole, was the establishment of the bank. The Covington Bank & Trust was established in these original quarters. It is the oldest commercial building . . . — Map (db m100622) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — The Southern Hotel
At the turn of the 20th century, Covington was famous for its healthful, healing environment. Excursionists came by schooner and by rail to breathe the pine-scented air and drink the pure waters. To accommodate the many guests, Covington, like other . . . — Map (db m103558) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Walker Percy(1916-1990)
Covington resident, where he wrote, among others, Lancelot, The Second Coming, Love in the Ruins, The Thanatos Syndrome, The Last Gentleman, and The Moviegoer, which won the National Book Award for fiction, co-founder Fellowship of . . . — Map (db m98852) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Lacombe — Abbé Adrien E. Rouquette
Abbé Rouquette (1813-1887), poet and priest, lived as missionary among Choctaw Indians in region of Bayou Lacombe from 1859 till his death. The Choctaw called him "Chata Ima," meaning "Like a Choctaw."

French: Abbé Rouquette . . . — Map (db m123582) HM

Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Madisonville — Civil War Earthworks
One of two lines of fortifications excavated from January to March 1864 by Union forces "on fatigue duty" soon after their capture of Madisonville. Intended to defend the town from Confederate attacks coming from the surrounding countryside. The . . . — Map (db m99702) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Madisonville — Madisonville
Originally called "Cokie" (from Coquille) because of the abundance of shells in the area. Renamed for Pres. James Madison, c. 1811. Site of Navy Yard in early 1800's. According to legend, Gen. Andrew Jackson, enroute to New Orleans in Nov. 1814, . . . — Map (db m99129) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Madisonville — Madisonville Cemetery1800 to Present
Resting place of pre-Louisiana Purchase colonial settlers, veterans of the War of 1812 and the Civil War, and many men and women of great importance to local and national history. — Map (db m103702) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Madisonville — Steam Powered "Groundhog" Sawmill
The steam engine assembled here is typical of many such engines employed as portable power plants from the time of their introduction 1847 through the 1930's. This engine was built by the Geiser Manufacturing Company of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, . . . — Map (db m108672) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Madisonville — War of 1812 Memorial
These six men of the 2nd Division 13th Regiment Louisiana Militia fought at the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812 and are buried in unmarked graves Auguste Badeaux             Samuel Ott William Cooper               Charles Parent, Jr. . . . — Map (db m99727) WM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — Battle of Lake Pontchartrain
On October 16, 1779, the British living between "Bayou La Combe and the River Tanchipaho," surrendered to Captain William Pickles who had won a naval battle off this shore on September 10, 1779, and thereby ended the Revolutionary War in Louisiana. — Map (db m98937) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — Fontainebleau Plantation Sugar Mill
These ruins are all that remain of Fountainebleau Plantation, once the summer home and plantation of Bernard de Marigny. Born in 1785 to a family closely tied to the earliest colonial efforts in Louisiana, Marigny accumulated and lost a fortune in . . . — Map (db m103252) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — Greater Mandeville Veterans Memorial
Dedicated To The Memory Of Those Who Died In The Defense Of Our Country And All Who Served In The Cause Of Freedom — Map (db m125146) WM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — Lake Pontchartrain Causeway
At 23.87 miles long, the Causeway is the world's longest bridge over water. The first span was completed in August 1956. Due to increased traffic, a second span opened in May 1969. The Causeway piloted major construction of prefabricated, . . . — Map (db m99537) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — Lake Pontchartrain Causeway BridgeNational Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
The original 23.86 mile-long structure, which now carries the Southbound traffic, was designed by the firm of Palmer & Baker. When opened in 1956, the structure was the longest bridge in the world by more than 15 miles. In building the bridge, which . . . — Map (db m99805) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — Our Lady Of The Lake Church
Early in the eighteenth century, Catholic missionaries evangelized Choctaw, Chinchuba and other Indian tribes and sub-tribes on the northern shore of Lake Pontchartrain, among pioneer priests was Fr. Michael Baudouin, S.J., superior of the Jesuit . . . — Map (db m98907) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — Sugar Mill Operation
This sugar mill operated similarly to other steam-powered mills of the mid 1800's. Molasses was drawn out of raw sugar cane by heating it in five kettles known as the "batterie." The cane juice was transferred from the largest kettle called the . . . — Map (db m105877) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Mandeville — West Florida Republic and St. Tammany Parish
St. Tammany Parish was among the Spanish-governed West Florida parishes and not included in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. Residents revolted against Spanish rule September 1810, creating the Republic of West Florida. The republic lasted 74 days, . . . — Map (db m99523) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — 1st United Methodist Church
Oldest Methodist Assembly in Slidell. Founded in a brush arbor on Sept. 26, 1887 as Methodist Episcopal Church South. Joined the Louisiana Conference in 1894. Present site dedicated July 16, 1961. — Map (db m103375) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — City of Slidell CentennialNov. 13, 1888 - Nov. 13, 1988
Named for diplomat and U.S. Senator John Slidell of Louisiana by son-in-law Baron Frederic Erlanger, one of the financiers of New Orleans and Northeastern Railroad. Incorporated Nov. 13, 1888. — Map (db m103255) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — Fritz Salmen
. . . — Map (db m107868) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — History of Camp SalmenPreserving Yesterday's Heritage
The 130 acres of the Camp Salmen Nature Park were once part of the Salmen Brick and Lumber Company. Many bricks used to build New Orleans were manufactured on this site. The only remaining building in the camp is of historical and architectural . . . — Map (db m108074) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — John SlidellSon of the South — 1793-1871
In 1883, Baron Erlanger named our city in honor of his father-in-law, John Slidell. Slidell had been a confidant of two American Presidents and a powerful member of the U.S. Senate from which he resigned in 1861, when Louisiana seceded from the . . . — Map (db m103376) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — John Slidell
John Slidell was an American politician and diplomat. Born in New York City in 1793, he later moved to New Orleans, where he practiced law from 1819 to 1835. He married Mathilde Deslonde, a member of a respected family. A member of the state House . . . — Map (db m103417) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — John Slidell1793-1871
John Slidell rose to prominence as a Louisiana politician in the decades before the War Between the States. A lawyer who began his career as a businessman, he moved to New Orleans in 1819. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in . . . — Map (db m103519) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — Original Lone Star Republic1810
Panel 1 In 1810 residents of Louisiana's Florida Parishes rose in an armed insurrection and overthrew the Spanish government. Panel 2 The Independent Republic of West Florida existed for 74 days before being forcibly annexed . . . — Map (db m108363) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — Salmen LodgeCirca 1830
Affectionately called Salmen Lodge by the Scouts, this French Creole cottage was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 and is one of a few early structures preserved along Bayou Liberty. Built by one of the early settlers with . . . — Map (db m108131) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — Slidell Town Hall and Jail
Built in 1907, this building replaced the original wooden Jail and Mayor's Office. It was the Town Hall until 1954 and the Jail until 1963. The town's fire engine was located in the addition from 1928 until 1954. — Map (db m103256) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — Slidell: An Overview
Slidell, Louisiana was founded in 1883 during construction of a major new railroad from New Orleans to Meridian, Mississippi. The New Orleans and Northeastern Railroad established a building camp at first high ground north of Lake Pontchartrain . . . — Map (db m103422) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — St. Tammany Fishing Pier
The St. Tammany Fishing Pier was built from sections of the original I-10 Twin Span Bridges which opened December 21, 1965. Tens of thousands of cars used these bridges to cross Lake Pontchartrain between Slidell and New Orleans until the morning . . . — Map (db m115758) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Waldheim — Waldheim Church
Built be German Settlers Dedicated September 12, 1875 as BONIFACE CHURCH by The Rev. J.B.A. Ahrens, D.D. Presiding elder, Louisiana District German Mission Conference of East Texas and Louisiana Methodist Episcopal Church, South Services in . . . — Map (db m108345) HM

45 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.