Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wakulla County Florida Historical Markers

 
Marker detail: Port of Havana image, Touch for more information
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Marker detail: Port of Havana
Florida (Wakulla County), Crawfordville — Supplies Are LowFlorida De Soto Trail — October 11, 1539
It’s October 11, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his army have stopped for the winter at the village of Anhayca, just north of here. Low on supplies, De Soto has dispatched his trusted Captain, Juan de Añasco… As we are desperate for . . . — Map (db m126593) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), Crawfordville — F-394 — Wakulla Springs Archaeological & Historic District
This location is significant as it represents relationships between human culture and natural resources from the settlement systems of the Paleoindian period to the recent historic past, a period of nearly 15,000 years. There are 55 recorded . . . — Map (db m101862) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), Saint Marks — Tallahassee - St. Marks Railroad1831
(side 1) This recreational trail follows the alignment of the historic Tallahassee-St. Marks Railroad, the first Florida railroad chartered by the territorial government in 1831. See back for more information (side . . . — Map (db m125493) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), Sopchoppy — F-456 — Old Sopchoppy High School
Constructed in 1924 and accredited in 1928, this was the first high school built in Wakulla County. The original stucco section, an "H"shaped design with one central area and three classrooms on each side, was made possible when Sopchoppy citizens . . . — Map (db m101143) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — Bo Lynn's Grocery"Miss Joy's"
(front side) In 1936 J. T. "Bo" Lynn founded Bo Lynn's Grocery market to serve the community of St. Marks. A wide variety of goods, including groceries, clothing, gasoline, automotive and boat parts, and fishing supplies were made . . . — Map (db m117216) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — Fort St. Marks Military Cemetery
Here are interred the remains of 19 soldiers of the 4th and 7th Regiments of the United States Infantry and the 4th Battalion of the United States Artillery. These men were members of the garrison of 200 stationed here during the United States . . . — Map (db m67114) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — Port Leon1838 - 1843
The former town of Port Leon, once the terminal for the Tallahassee-St. Marks Railroad, was located across the St. Marks River about two miles south of here. Reverse: Port Leon, A Ghost Town Two Miles South 1838-1843 . . . — Map (db m67270) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — Princess Malee "Milly" Francis
In Grateful Remembrance for a heroic and humanitarian act of courage in saving the life of an American soldier in March, 1818

Princess Malee "Milly" Francis

(c 1803 – 1848)

Woman of the Creek (Seminole) Indian Nation, . . . — Map (db m116505) HM

Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — F-131 — San Marcos de Apalache
Wooden stockades were built here by the Spanish in 1680 an 1758. In 1758, these were destroyed by a hurricane which drowned the garrison. A masonry fort was begun in 1759 but was soon abandoned to the Indians for a trading post and Indian . . . — Map (db m67113) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — San Marcos de Apalache
This is the site of the original Spanish fortifications. The first fort was a flimsy wooden fort started in 1678 and completed in 1679. The second fort, also of wood was built in 1718 on this site. A hurricane flooded this fort in 1758 and forty men . . . — Map (db m67115) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — F-207 — St. Marks Lighthouse
Noted lighthouse builder Winslow Lewis began work on the Saint Marks structure in 1829. Eroding shores forced relocation a short distance inland in 1842 to its present location. The adjoining keeper’s house is not original having been rebuilt on . . . — Map (db m67106) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — Telltale BonesFlorida De Soto Trail — October 16, 1539
It’s October 16, 1539… In searching this area for a usable harbor, Hernando de Soto’s captain Juan de Anasco has found evidence of Pánfilo de Narváez’ expedition of 1528… In an overgrown clearing, we have discovered many horse skulls and . . . — Map (db m126594) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.