Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Montana National Register Sign Program Historical Markers

Aluminum plaques "Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior in cooperation with the Montana Historical Society."
256 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 56
 
A Tribute to Sidney Edgerton Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, May 12, 2018
A Tribute to Sidney Edgerton Marker
Montana (Beaverhead County), Dillon — A Tribute to Sidney EdgertonMontana's Unsung Hero
Sidney Edgerton arrived at Bannack from Ohio in September 1863 to begin his appointment as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Idaho Territory. The massive territory encompassed Idaho, all of Montana, and the western half of Wyoming, with the . . . — Map (db m124263) HM
Montana (Beaverhead County), Dillon — Bannack Historical District
Bannack epitomizes the tough, primitive towns that sprang up with gold discoveries. Its story also illustrates a century of survival, through boom and bust periods associated with resource extraction and technological advances. On July 28, 1862, . . . — Map (db m124262) HM
Montana (Broadwater County), Townsend — State Bank of Townsend
J. P. Kearns came to Townsend from Benton, Wisconsin, in 1899. Business-educated and experienced, Kearns astutely recognized the town’s need for a new financial institution and founded the State Bank of Townsend only three months later. The bank was . . . — Map (db m141732) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — 105 North Broadway
Local physician Dr. Samuel Souders owned this commercial lot in 1909 when Dan Davis, an advocate for the construction of a fancy opera house, proposed it for the construction of his vision. The newspapers reported weekly for several months on Davis’ . . . — Map (db m45384) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Alcazar (Star) Theater
A combination moving picture theater and boarding house were the original tenants of this two-story masonry building, completed in 1908. Several directors managed the rather short-lived Alcazar, including Steve Roman, whose family long monopolized . . . — Map (db m45387) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — B.P.O.E. Lodge #534
Americans organized much of their social life around fraternal groups at the turn of the twentieth century. The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks provided an important social and charitable outlet for Red Lodge's professionals, who circulated . . . — Map (db m45395) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Carbon County Courthouse
Butte architect P. J. Donahue drew the plans for the 1899 landmark after fire destroyed its predecessor. Situated at the busy northern end of the commercial district, the building today provides an excellent example of restrained, classically . . . — Map (db m45402) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Carbon County Hospital And Sanitarium
When prominent local physician and surgeon Dr. Samuel Souders built this magnificent hospital in 1909, it was considered “state-of-the-art.” Amenities included a central heating system, wide doorways and hallways, an elevator, and . . . — Map (db m45404) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Charles Antilla Building
This two-story building was under construction in 1907, and for a short time housed part-owner Charles Antilla’s dry goods store. In 1912, new owners Ed Ricketts and C. V. Lucas located their Okay Meat Market, later the Red Lodge Meat Market, on the . . . — Map (db m45388) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Hawkes & Son Photography Studio
Photographer Mark E. Hawkes and his son Charley built a photography studio at this location where much of Red Lodge’s history was documented in pictures. Charley later struck out for Great Falls, and son Harry joined Mark. Hawkes & Son sold the . . . — Map (db m45405) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Iarussi Building
In the 1920s Italian shoemaker Ludovico Iarussi (later changed to Jarussi) owned this property containing his shop and several frame commercial buildings. In 1929 Iarussi razed the older shops and constructed the present building. Financially . . . — Map (db m45409) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Labor Temple
Red Lodge Miner’s Local No. 1771 had grown to more than a thousand members when this labor temple was built in 1909. The United Mine Workers of America organized nationally in 1896 and by 1898, Local No. 1771 had 200 members. The building is a . . . — Map (db m45412) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Neithammer Brothers Meat Market
German-born Victor and Otto Neithammer first established their meat market on North Broadway in 1912, raising their own livestock to supply this and other local family-run stores. Because the Neithammers' employees represented many ethnic groups, . . . — Map (db m45415) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Picket Block
Designed by Red Lodge carpenter and amateur architect Frank A. Sell and built by W. T. Pernham in 1902, this impressive brick commercial building was home to the Red Lodge Picket and, after 1918, the Picket-Journal, the primary news . . . — Map (db m45416) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Plunkett's Hardware
High transom windows that provide interior light for a mezzanine commercial display area are an interesting design feature of this well-constructed commercial building. The simple chain-patterned ornamentation of buff brick across the tall parapet . . . — Map (db m45419) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Pollard Hotel
The Rocky Fork Coal Company constructed this hotel, originally the Spofford, which welcomed its first guests on July 4, 1893. This architectural landmark, built before the commercial district was platted, originally had its main entrance on 11th . . . — Map (db m45390) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Red Lodge Commercial District
Rapid growth of the young town of Red Lodge coincided with the arrival of the Northern Pacific Railroad’s branch line in 1889. The area became Montana’s leading coal mining region. Town lots were platted by the secretary of the Rocky Fork Town and . . . — Map (db m45386) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — The Iris Theater
Originally intended as a meeting hall with storefront space, tenants Byton Down and Robert Pryde redesigned the building’s ground floor before its completion for use as a theater. When the Iris opened in 1925, residents viewed it as welcome . . . — Map (db m45410) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — W. A. Talmage Company Hardware
A keen sense of the town’s future prompted businessman William Talmage to move his hardware business away from the busy commercial center a few blocks south to this building in 1894. When other businesses began to move to the newly platted main . . . — Map (db m45420) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Belt — Belt Commercial Historic District
Pennsylvania native John Castner discovered rich coal deposits along Belt Creek in 1870. Within just a few years, he and Fort Benton trader T.C. Power opened a commercial coal mine near here. The partners sold coal for use by the Great Northern . . . — Map (db m143650) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Belt — Belt Jail
Lewis and Clark named nearby Belt Butte for its girdle of rocks and, in 1877, John Castner named his town Belt. Coal brought Castner here, and Fort Benton was the first market for his Castner Coal Company. Then, in 1889, the Boston and Montana . . . — Map (db m143649) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — 305 Third Avenue NorthNorthside Residential Historic District
A graceful wraparound porch with square posts, a central entry beneath a projecting gable, and transomed windows distinguish this charming vernacular example of the Greek Revival style. Inside, a rounded hall ceiling adds lovely period elegance. The . . . — Map (db m143826) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — 315 Fourth Avenue NorthGreat Falls Historic District
Great Falls’ premier residential street, Fourth Avenue North, gained 24 new homes between 1900 and 1910. Among them was this substantial residence, constructed in 1904 for bookkeeper Edgar Newlon and his wife Anna. The home is a classic American . . . — Map (db m143823) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — A.W. Kingsbury HouseNorthside Residential Historic District
Pictured in 1909 in the Great Falls Tribune under the headline “A Great Falls Residence,” this Queen Anne style house was hardly typical of its day. An imposing two-and-one-half-story structure, the elegant home was built in 1901 for . . . — Map (db m143815) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Abe and Carrie Kaufman ResidenceNorthside Residential Historic District
A dramatic living room fireplace, crystal chandelier, and boxed-beam dining room ceiling are among the original fixtures continuing to decorate the interior of the Abe and Carrie Kaufman residence. Neoclassical, Craftsman, and Victorian detailing . . . — Map (db m143816) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Anaconda Company Manager's HouseNorthside Residential Historic District
The Boston and Montana Consolidated Copper and Silver Mining Company, later acquired by the Anaconda Company, chose a treeless bluff overlooking the river to locate its smelter and refinery in 1892. Among the seventeen managers’ houses built at . . . — Map (db m143828) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Arvon BlockGreat Falls Central Business Historic District
During the busy 1890s, Great Falls’ business district swarmed with activity. City boosters such as pioneer rancher Robert Vaughn expressed confidence in the town’s future by investing in commercial real estate. Vaughn commissioned an unknown . . . — Map (db m143679) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Boyd HouseGreat Falls Northside Residential Historic District
By 1910, the Queen Anne style had lost much of its allure. Once admired, its artistic jumble of angles, textures, and colors had become reviled as cluttered and artificial. This rejection of complexity was gradual, and many houses—like this . . . — Map (db m143856) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Bus Depot and GarageGreat Falls Central Business Historic District
Streamline Moderne architecture celebrated America’s engineering prowess. The style—which offered an optimistic response to the woes of the Great Depression—promised a better future through technology. Its celebration of speed and . . . — Map (db m143678) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — C.E. Davis ResidenceNorthside Residential Historic District
Charles E. Davis, “expert watchmaker and jeweler,” arrived in Great Falls with his wife, Grace, in 1900. With Charles’ two brothers, the couple opened a store on bustling Central Avenue, selling jewelry, watches, cut glass, gifts, and . . . — Map (db m143805) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Cascade County Courthouse
Spirited revelry in the streets of Great Falls greeted news of the creation of Cascade County in 1887. Named county seat, Great Falls grew quickly, with county offices located in various downtown buildings. In 1891 voters approved the . . . — Map (db m101873) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Depot
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway was constructed between 1907 and 1909, the last transcontinental railroad to cross Montana. Its service to Great Falls during the homestead boom supported the city’s establishment as a major urban center . . . — Map (db m141948) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Cowboys Bar and MuseumGreat Falls West Bank Historic District
Former Great Falls “cowhands” held a reunion in 1938. Now grown men, as boys they had earned money herding local milk cows in and out of town each day or driving range cattle through the city streets. Membership soon expanded beyond . . . — Map (db m143671) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Dubbs BlockGreat Falls West Bank Historic District
A shortage of steel and limited purchases of nonessential goods during World War II caused the automobile industry to skyrocket after the war ended. As the troops came home and the economy recovered, Montana experienced this boom as well. By the . . . — Map (db m143772) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — F.W. Woolworth BuildingGreat Falls West Bank Historic District
A close look at the Woolworth Building’s upper floors makes evident that it was originally two separate, but closely related edifices. Connecting arches over second-story windows, a decorative metal cornice, and a crowning brick parapet distinguish . . . — Map (db m143769) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — First Methodist Church
First Sermon by Reverend Jacob Mills 401 Central Avenue 1884 Reverend Francis Asbury Riggin and Reverend William Wesley Van Orsdel secured present Church site 1886 First Sanctuary 1888 Second Sanctuary 1902 Educational . . . — Map (db m143773) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — First United Methodist Church Parsonage
The pioneer Methodist circuit rider William Wesley Van Orsdel—better known as “Brother Van”—arrived in Fort Benton, Montana, on the steamboat, Far West, in 1872. For forty-five years, he traveled on horseback, by wagon, by . . . — Map (db m143788) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Great Falls Central Business Historic District
An eclectic cultural landscape has long characterized the West Bank. Separated from downtown Great Falls by the broad Missouri River, the larger neighborhood has hosted a varied mix of industrial, residential, and commercial development since the . . . — Map (db m143758) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Great Falls Civic CenterGreat Falls Railroad Historic District
Clean lines, formal monumental openings, and restrained revival details mark the 1939 Great Falls Civic Center as a municipal Art Deco style building. The Works Projects Administration provided most of the funding for the building. The . . . — Map (db m143680) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Great Falls West Bank Historic District
An eclectic cultural landscape has long characterized the West Bank. Separated from downtown Great Falls by the broad Missouri River, the larger neighborhood has hosted a varied mix of industrial, residential, and commercial development since the . . . — Map (db m143676) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Lemon Boarding HouseGreat Falls West Bank Historic District
Beneath the façade of this solid-looking building stands a much older wooden boarding house. In 1891, only seven years after the founding of Great Falls, a two-story dwelling stood on this lot. Mrs. S. H. Lemon ran the boarding house in 1896 and . . . — Map (db m143770) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Liberty TheatreGreat Falls Central Business Historic District
Thirty-six hundred people watched Nomads of the North at the grand opening of the Liberty Theatre in August 1921. A musical score, played on a $47,000 Wurlitzer organ, accompanied the silent film. An overflow crowd of two thousand toured the . . . — Map (db m143756) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Masonic TempleGreat Falls West Bank Historic District
Freemasons trace their history to the stonemasons of Medieval Europe, an association referenced in the design for the Great Falls Masonic Temple. Constructed in 1914, the three-story building features a dramatic central tower and steep gable bays . . . — Map (db m143771) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — McCulloh ResidenceGreat Falls Northside Residential Historic District
Carroll B. McCulloh and his wife Ella constructed this elegant two-story brick home in 1911, raising their two children here. Its two-and-one-half stories, simple box shape, low-hipped roof, large central dormer, wide overhanging eaves, and offset . . . — Map (db m143855) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — 444 — Methodist Parsonage
Historic Methodist Parsonage Home of Brother Van Built 1910 — Map (db m143787) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Murphy Maclay Hardware StoreGreat Falls Central Business Historic District
In the 1880s Murphy, Maclay and Co. sold everything from flour and fine teas to window glass and blasting powder. Edgar Maclay and John Murphy established the firm with stores in Helena and Fort Benton in 1882. Two years later they sent Worden Wren . . . — Map (db m143754) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — New Park HotelGreat Falls Central Business Historic District
Town founders Paris Gibson and Herbert Chowen built the original Park Hotel in 1892 to serve travelers disembarking at the nearby Great Northern Depot. When the hundred-room hotel burned in a 1913 fire, Park Hotel owners hired prominent Great Falls . . . — Map (db m143753) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Northside Residential Historic District
Great Falls founder Paris Gibson was drawn to the power of the falls of the Missouri where he vowed to found an industrial center of “unsurpassed beauty.” Backed by railroad magnate James J. Hill, Gibson hired H. P. Rolfe to plat the . . . — Map (db m143857) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Quigley HouseNorthside Residential Historic District
By 1908, Montana’s agricultural boom was in full swing, and real estate agents like John Quigley, whose firm offered farms “on 20 years payments,” seemed poised to make a fortune. That year forty-eight-year-old Quigley built this large . . . — Map (db m143807) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — S.H. Kress and Company
Thirty-six hundred people watched Nomads of the North at the grand opening of the Liberty Theatre in August 1921. A musical score, played on a $47,000 Wurlitzer organ, accompanied the silent film. An overflow crowd of two thousand toured the . . . — Map (db m143757) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — St. Ann's Cathedral
Shortly after Pope Pius X established the Diocese of Great Falls in 1904, Great Falls’ first bishop, Matthias Lenihan, hired Montana architect John Hackett Kent to design a cathedral equal to those in Europe. Kent, who helped design the Montana . . . — Map (db m141924) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — T.E. Collins Mansion
Irish-born Timothy Collins followed the gold stampedes to Montana but soon turned to law and politics. For a time in the 1870s he was the only attorney practicing in Meagher County. Elected to the territorial legislature several times, Collins was a . . . — Map (db m143677) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Terrill ApartmentsNorthside Residential Historic District
Apartment buildings were good investments in rapidly expanding communities like Great Falls, which grew from 17,000 to 26,000 between 1910 and 1920. Owners reported waiting lists for units, which ranged from rooms in old-fashioned “apartment . . . — Map (db m143824) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Toole ResidenceNorthside Residential Historic District
The front canted bay window hints at the modest one-story Queen Anne style residence that lies at the core of this elegant home. In 1891, the house was one of only two on the block. A small back addition had been added by 1900, when Mandeville . . . — Map (db m143822) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Union Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
At the center of the African American community in Great Falls for more than a century, the Union Bethel AME Church began holding regular services in the first fire station in 1890. The following year African American residents gathered with white . . . — Map (db m143792) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — Ursuline Academy
The Sisters of the Order of St. Ursula came to Montana in 1884 to establish schools for Indians. When the homestead movement created a need for more urban educational facilities, the Great Falls Townsite Company offered the sisters any two city . . . — Map (db m143791) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — W.K. Floweree HouseNorthside Residential Historic District
A grand home on a large corner lot, this Colonial Revival residence bespeaks the prominence of its first owners. Banker, rancher, and state senator William Floweree and his wife, Norma, built this brick two-and-one-half-story home in 1916. Its . . . — Map (db m143806) HM
Montana (Cascade County), Great Falls — William & Isabel Shea HouseGreat Falls West Bank Historic District
William and Isabel Shea built this cozy one-story brick home in 1929. With its distinctive low profile, clipped-gable shingle roof, stucco siding, exposed rafter tails, and multi-pane windows, the inviting residence is a classic Craftsman style . . . — Map (db m143670) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Bank of Northern Montana
The bank was established June 1, 1880, by T. E. Collins, Charles Duer and L. H. Hershfield and Brother. It was first located in the Benton Record Building, then moved to this location in October 1881. The bank remained here until the large two-story . . . — Map (db m142100) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Choteau House
I.G. Baker and T. C. Power built the original Thwing House in 1868. Under the watchful eye of Mrs. Thwing, this “downtown” hotel competed with the Overland. The hotel closed in 1870 and was rented as military officers’ quarters. It . . . — Map (db m142134) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Chouteau County Courthouse
Minneapolis architects Kees and Fisk drew the plans for this magnificent Queen Anne style courthouse which opened in 1884. As the seat of one of Montana's nine original counties, its grand appearance represents the early affluence of this "Chicago . . . — Map (db m142451) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Church of the Immaculate Conception
When fire destroyed the original Church of the Immaculate Conception in 1905, this beautiful Tudor style structure of rough cut stone and ornamental half-timbered gables replaced it in 1907. Salvaged from the blaze was a bell christened in 1880 for . . . — Map (db m142454) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Davidson and Moffitt Harness Shop
Fort Benton’s building boom of 1887-1884 saw the construction of many commercial buildings made of locally produced soft brick. This fine example was built in 1881 as a saddlery by Davidson and Moffitt of Helena. The River Press Company, publisher . . . — Map (db m142064) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Fort Benton Bridge
When railroads replaced steamboats, Fort Benton's importance as a trade center declined. In response, Fort Benton businessmen formed the Benton Bridge Company to construct a bridge across the Missouri River to capture the trade of the rapidly . . . — Map (db m142414) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Fort Benton Engine House
The Fort Benton Engine House, built in 1883, and the Grand Union Hotel are two of only a few structures remaining to remind us of the rapid expansion here during the flourishing steamboat days. When Fort Benton incorporated in 1883, a volunteer fire . . . — Map (db m142417) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Fort Benton Historic District
Founded in 1846 as the fur trade transitioned fro furs to buffalo robes, Fort Benton was both a trading post and a center for distribution of Indian annuities. In the early 1860s, Montana's gold rush and the initiation of steamboat traffic made the . . . — Map (db m142173) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Grand Union Hotel
This grandiose, three-story Italianate style hotel welcomed weary river travelers to the Gateway of the Northwest, offering guests a luxurious refuge before setting out for less civilized destinations. Its opening in 1882 came at the end of the . . . — Map (db m142062) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — H.J. Wackerlin Hardware Company
This structure opened in 1882 during Fort Benton’s “glory days” as Montana’s largest hardware store. T. C. Power and Hans Wackerlin operated the business. Wackerlin, a tinsmith, had come to Fort Benton in 1867 aboard the steam boat . . . — Map (db m142136) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — I.G. Baker Home
From the 1850s to 1887, Fort Benton was the trade center for this region of the American and Canadian West. Like others who chose to stay when the fur trade declined, I.G. Baker (last American Fur Company factor at the fort) turned to new endeavors. . . . — Map (db m142133) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Masonic Building
Members of Masonic Lodge #25 built this brick structure in 1882, housing their temple on the second floor. Grocer W. H. Burgess rented first floor space. Economic decline in the late 1880s caused the Masons to lose title, and Burgess, too, went . . . — Map (db m142103) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — McGraw's Saloon
Originally built to house the Stockmen’s National Bank, this solid structure represents typical pre-1900s commercial architecture. Its 1890 construction is significant as one of the few buildings erected after Fort Benton’s heyday and before . . . — Map (db m142102) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Pacific Hotel
In 1864, Mills and Douglas operated a restaurant and hotel on this corner. Mills and Robert S. Culbertson went into partnership in 1877, opening a new establishment called the Centennial Hotel in celebration of the United States' 100th birthday. . . . — Map (db m142104) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Fort Benton’s oldest church, is the oldest Episcopal Church in Montana. In continuous service since August 11, 1881, it appears today almost as it did upon opening. Architecturally, this Gothic style building is a fine . . . — Map (db m142329) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Stockmen's National Bank
Originally built to house the Stockmen’s National Bank, this solid structure represents typical pre-1900s commercial architecture. Its 1890 construction is significant as one of the few buildings erected after Fort Benton’s heyday and before . . . — Map (db m142101) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — T.C. Power Building
In 1867, merchant T. C. Power, destined to become one of the state’s wealthiest and most influential men, brought his first wagonload of goods to Fort Benton, where he set up shop in a borrowed tent. Still in business in 1916, Power constructed a . . . — Map (db m142137) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — T.C. Power Dry Goods Store
T. C. Power and Bro. was founded in 1868 at approximately this location. Initially housed in a wooden building, the store was moved in 1879 to a large brick structure across the street. When the firm expanded, a hardware store was built next door . . . — Map (db m142135) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — 108 Hawthorne AvenueJudith Place Historic District
The Empire Land Company constructed many of Judith Place’s most fashionable residences, including this one- and-one-half-story Craftsman style home circa 1914. Reflecting the Progressive Era’s emphasis on efficiency, the company adopted the . . . — Map (db m143460) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — 521 West MainLewistown Central Business Historic District
In March of 1914, four hundred local business owners protested locating Lewistown’s new post office on this site, claiming that the call for bids was not properly advertised. Most favored housing the post office in the Masonic Temple building. . . . — Map (db m143414) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Abraham and Mary Walton Hogeland House
In the 1870s, ranchers and prospectors looking for gold in the Judith Mountains clamored for military protection as they settled a region recently controlled by the Blackfeet. In response, the federal government constructed Fort Maginnis in 1880. . . . — Map (db m143506) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — All Purpose ShopLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
During World War II, the Army Corps of Engineers built almost 1,300 airfields. These rapidly constructed facilities followed standardized plans, all of which included an All Purpose Shop. The unassuming one-story buildings served as the bases' . . . — Map (db m143570) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Armament BuildingLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
Sand-filled “Blue Beetle” practice bombs with a five-pound black powder charge were loaded here for placement in the B-17s’ bomb bays. The practice bombs were later dropped in 1,000-foot circles during the daytime and on lighted targets . . . — Map (db m143572) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Attix ClinicLewistown Central Business Historic District
Dr. Frederick F. Attix came to Lewistown in 1901 where he set up one of the first local medical practices. Dr. Attix traveled 70,000 miles in his horse and buggy visiting patients in mining camps, often operating by lamplight in bunkhouses. On April . . . — Map (db m143417) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Bank of Fergus CountyLewistown Central Business Historic District
Kent and Bell, designers of the Montana State Capitol, drew the plans for this Renaissance Revival/Beaux Arts- inspired building of sandstone and brick, completed in 1904. The bank was Lewistown’s first, founded in 1887 by S. S. Hobson, James H. . . . — Map (db m143365) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Bombsite Storage BuildingLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
Barbed wire encircled this double-compartment storage building and a 24-hour sentry kept armed guard. The top secret Norden bombsight, a mechanical analog computer, was accessed through bank vault doors, removed carefully for training missions, and . . . — Map (db m143576) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Bon-TonLewistown Central Business Historic District
Built around 1893, the Bon-Ton is one of four remaining pre-1900 masonry structures in the Central Business Historic District. The term bon-ton means “a good or elegant form or style; regarded as fashionably correct.” This structure is . . . — Map (db m143410) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Camouflage BuildingLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
The United States Army Air Force (USAAF) trained its field maintenance crews in camouflage painting to make aircraft difficult to distinguish from the ground. Constructed in the spring of 1943, this building was designed for teaching and . . . — Map (db m143595) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Carnegie LibraryCourthouse Historic District
Lewistown's first library opened in 1897 with 269 books in a corner of Mary Hanson's millinery shop. When Mrs. Hanson left town two years later, the collection moved to the office of Elizabeth Peeples, county superintendent of schools. In 1905 . . . — Map (db m143418) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Courthouse Historic District
In 1879, Metis—people of French and Chippewa-Cree descent—homesteaded in this area, near the army’s Camp Lewis. Many street names memorialize these settlers, who included Francis A. Janeaux and Paul Morase. But open range cattle . . . — Map (db m143419) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Crew Chief Building
The mechanics that kept the heavy four-engine bombers, known as “flying fortresses,” aloft and the crew chiefs that coordinated the efforts of their teams had offices in this building. The squadrons that trained at Lewistown, Glasgow, . . . — Map (db m143574) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — HangarLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
The airfield’s immense hangar dominates the flight apron and appears much as it did when World War II vintage B-17s roared down the runway. Construction of the airfield began in July 1942. The original hangar plans were soon modified, increasing the . . . — Map (db m143591) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Hopkins GroceryLewistown Central Business Historic District
Welsh immigrant Archibald Hopkins settled in central Montana in the 1870s, where he raised produce for sale to local markets. Hopkins watched Lewistown grow from a small trading post to an established community before linking his fortunes to the . . . — Map (db m143458) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Knerr-Tubb Block / Armory HallLewistown Central Business Historic District
Rubble stone construction with brick veneer became Main Street’s preferred design after 1909. The elegant façade of this business block is an early example of the newer style, constructed before 1911 when locally produced bricks became available. . . . — Map (db m143459) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Lehman BunkhouseCourthouse Historic District
Two distinct buildings of different origins but with a shared purpose rest companionably side by side on this site today. Pioneer merchant Charles Lehman constructed the handsome stone segment in the 1890s as a rooming house for his unmarried male . . . — Map (db m143507) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Lewiston Satellite Airfield Historic District
In the dark days following the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, Congress appropriated massive defense appropriations. The US Army selected Great Falls, Montana, as the site of a major air base. Concurrent with its construction were . . . — Map (db m143590) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Lewistown Mercantile CompanyLewistown Central Business Historic District
Rail transportation in the early twentieth century brought homesteaders to Fergus County and cemented Lewistown’s role as a regional commercial center. The General Brokerage Company of Grand Rapids, North Dakota, financed this stunning warehouse for . . . — Map (db m143355) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Lewistown Silk Stocking Historic District
The seven large residences that comprise Lewistown’s mansion, hence “silk stocking,” district were built during the city’s period of greatest prosperity, from 1904 to 1919. In this small neighborhood, central Montana’s major . . . — Map (db m143504) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Mackey Building (Montana Tavern)Lewistown Central Business Historic District
Constructed during the 1911 half-million-dollar Lewistown building boom, the $20,000 Mackey Building sits directly over Big Spring Creek. A blend of Romanesque and Classical Revival styles, the structure maintains much of its original façade, . . . — Map (db m143360) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — McDonald and Charters BlockLewistown Central Business Historic District
The beautiful blending of brick and handcut stone in this 1905 business block serves as a fine example of Lewistown’s distinctive architecture. Romanesque Revival arches, Renaissance Revival wall layering, and an Italianate cornice speak to the . . . — Map (db m143413) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Montana BuildingLewistown Central Business Historic District
This elaborate six-story brick structure represents a visible sign of the stability and prosperity in Lewistown in 1916 and stands as the architectural anchor of the Central Business District. The construction of this mixed Neoclassical and Revival . . . — Map (db m143364) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Operations and Alert Building
Planning and scheduling of the training missions took place in this one-story T-shaped building during an eleven- month period in 1942-1943. After November 1942, when the first of the four-engine B-17 bombers roared down the airfield, they filled . . . — Map (db m143575) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Phillips Drug CompanyLewistown Central Business Historic District
One of four remaining pre-1900 masonry structures in the 300 block of Main, this structure at 322 and 324 West Main Street originally housed a restaurant and drug store. “Prescriptions our Specialty” proclaimed an early advertisement for . . . — Map (db m143411) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Power Mercantile Building
Possibly one of the first architect-designed stone buildings along Main Street, the Power Mercantile Building is the most visible example of Lewistown’s stone architecture. Merchant Francis Janeaux became indebted to supplier T. C. Power and lost . . . — Map (db m143379) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Pre-War Hangar
Local businessman Harrison Green established Lewistown’s first airport at this location in 1928, intending to sell it to the city or operate it as a private enterprise. The city, however, established its own airport in 1933 just across the road from . . . — Map (db m143593) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Quartermaster WarehousesLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
Caring for the squadrons of men who trained at the airfield was no easy task. It required a permanent host crew of approximately 150 to keep the base running smoothly. In addition to providing the actual training, members of the host crew assured . . . — Map (db m143596) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Recreation BuildingLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
Essential for maintaining morality and morale, the Recreation Building was one of the busiest spots on base. A host of activities provided wholesome entertainment to occupy the airmen's off-duty hours. Events included amateur nights on Mondays, . . . — Map (db m143573) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Saint Leo's Catholic ChurchLewistown Central Business Historic District
Lewistown’s first Catholic church was a small frame structure built in 1888. Visiting priests from distant St. Peter’s Mission, Great Falls, and Fort Benton celebrated mass for the French-Canadian, Indian, and settler congregations. The first . . . — Map (db m143456) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — The HubLewistown Central Business Historic District
Lewistown’s population tripled between 1900 and 1910 and the booming building trade attracted stonemasons and craftsmen, many of them Croatian immigrants, who settled here. The upper façade of this 1908 one-story commercial building, revealed during . . . — Map (db m143363) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Thompson-Lewis House
Stone buildings constructed by skilled Croatian stonemasons are intrinsic to Lewistown’s unique personality. Peter Tuss, who built this home with Anthony Weingart in 1902, was one such prominent craftsman. Constructed for Citizens’ Electric Company . . . — Map (db m143505) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Training BuildingLewistown Satellite Airfield Historic District
During World War II, many aircrews came to Lewistown for the final phase of their training. Here they logged an average eight hours of ground school for every hour of flying time. In this building the men studied aircraft identification, learned . . . — Map (db m143592) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Warr BuildingLewistown Central Business Historic District
Austin W. Warr employed renowned architect John H. Kent—one of the architects for the Montana Capitol Building—to design the Warr Building. Warr organized the Lewistown Telephone Company in 1899. Upon completion of this new office . . . — Map (db m143359) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Warr-Lane BuildingLewistown Central Business Historic District
The banner year of 1913 saw close to $1.5 million spent in Lewistown on construction. Two thirds of that sum went toward new, elegant business blocks. The city’s rapid growth—from approximately a thousand people in 1910 to over five thousand . . . — Map (db m143412) HM
Montana (Fergus County), Lewistown — Wiedeman ApartmentsLewistown Central Business Historic District
As Lewistown’s population doubled between 1910 and 1920, the community found itself short on living space. According to the paper, newcomers had difficulty procuring “even the most indifferent dwelling accommodations.” G. R. Wiedeman . . . — Map (db m143455) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), Three Forks — Sacajawea Hotel
Arrival of the Milwaukee Railroad caused Three Forks to move (1908-1910) one mile up the Missouri River from its 1863 townsite, as happened with many sister towns in the developing West. Milwaukee Railroad purchasing agent John Q. Adams saw need for . . . — Map (db m141722) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — 4 — Oregon Shortline TerminusWest Yellowstone Historic District
In 1905 Union Pacific officials began construction of a branch line in the pine-forested wilderness from Ashton, Idaho, to the western edge of Yellowstone Park. As the final tracks were laid in 1907, Samuel P. Eagle, Alex Stuart, Charles Arnet and . . . — Map (db m123342) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — 1 — Union Pacific Identification Pylon
This Property Contributes To The West Yellowstone Oregon Shortline Terminus Historic District Listed In The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior In Cooperation With The . . . — Map (db m103600) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — 123 East Broadway
Local rancher Lee Degenhart financed the construction of this building in 1910. Fred Haverty, a contractor from Hal, Montana, who later ran a car dealership here in Philipsburg, was the builder. Design features include the original ornamental leaded . . . — Map (db m45224) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — C.T. Huffman Grocery
Built circa 1887, Lutey's Grocery and the Barrett and Jacky Harness Shop originally shared occupancy of this one-story commercial building. By the 1890s, Valentine Jacky shared this building with C. T. Huffman who supplied groceries to Philpsburg . . . — Map (db m45226) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Courtney Hotel
Brothers Morris and Humphery Courtney built this multi-purpose building in 1918 with the profits from manganese mining acquired during World War I. The building speaks to the coming of the automobile as the basement housed the Granite County Garage . . . — Map (db m49371) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Granite County Courthouse
The first permanent home for Granite County offices was completed in 1913. Prominent Montana architects John Link and Charles Haire designed the building. Its cut stonework is, appropriately, made of Montana granite. Granite County commissioners . . . — Map (db m45229) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Granite County Jail
The Granite County Jail was constructed in 1896, three years after Granite County was carved from two adjacent counties and Philipsburg made the county seat. The town served as a hub to extensive area mining and, later, ranching. The jail was the . . . — Map (db m45228) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — J.K. Merrill and Sons Dry Goods
The excellent design and spacious interior of this two-story commercial building represents Philipsburg’s prosperity and substantial population during the 1890s. Constructed for J.K. Merrill and Sons between 1892 and 1894, Freyschlag Huffman and . . . — Map (db m49370) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Kaiser House
Michael Kaiser, founder of Philipsburg Water Company, built this grand hotel in 1881. One of Philipsburg's oldest masonry structures, the original hotel boasted a wrap-around porch extending halfway around the building. Second-story French doors, . . . — Map (db m45218) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Masonic Temple
Meetings in Philipsburg of Flint Creek Lodge No. 11 date back to 1867. This structure, built in 1911, provided a permanent home for the community-oriented fraternal organization. Chambers for lodge meetings occupy the entire top floor. The ground . . . — Map (db m45222) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — McDonald Opera House
Prominent businessman Angus A. McDonald constructed this two-story masonry theater in 1891. A metal-covered stage loft rises above the roof as evidence of the structures historic function. Beneath the south end were dressing rooms for the traveling . . . — Map (db m49373) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Morse Hall
Colonel J.W. Morse built Morse Hall in 1887. This elaborately detailed public lecture hall also served as county courthouse after 1893, an opera house, town hall, library and general community center. Its splendid second story dance floor was the . . . — Map (db m45213) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Philipsburg
Philipsburg's early-day fortunes ebbed and flowed with mining. Today, its historic district is one of Montana's best preserved late-19th-century mining towns, with commercial, public and private buildings dating from the boom period of silver . . . — Map (db m45209) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Philipsburg Historic District
Philipsburg's early-day fortunes ebbed and flowed with mining. Today, its historic district is one of Montana's best preserved late-19th-century mining towns, with commercial, public and private buildings dating from the boom period of silver . . . — Map (db m45210) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Pizer Building
One of a network of Jewish merchants who supplied miners in the Rocky Mountain West, nineteen-year-old Benjamin Pizer arrived in Helena from Poland with his wife Jessie Silverman and their newborn son David in 1869. With limited capital, he . . . — Map (db m45217) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Sayrs' Building
First known as the Hyde Block, this building was constructed by banker Joseph Hyde and his wife, Mary, in 1888. It housed the First National Bank until the silver crash of 1893. In 1904, Frank Sayrs purchased the building and it has since held a . . . — Map (db m45220) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Weinstein Building
Around the mountain from the mining camp of Cable in 1866 came Polish-born merchant William Weinstein with a wagon-load of goods to sell. He became Philipsburg's first general merchant, constructing the eastern half of this building in the late . . . — Map (db m45212) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Wilson Brothers Building
Charles A. and Frank J. Wilson, brothers from Wisconsin, built and established their businesses in this building by 1888. The building originally housed a furniture store on one side, a feed store on the other and a miners' boarding house/living . . . — Map (db m45214) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philpsburg — Walker Commercial Building
Prominent Missoula architect A. J. Gibson designed and built this two-story commercial building in 1905. The fine design includes a metal modillioned cornice and panels with a full height glass storefront and polished granite skirt below. The Walker . . . — Map (db m45223) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — A.D. Smith House
Alexander “Nosey” D. Smith came to Havre as a Great Northern Railroad conductor when the first trains came through town in the mid-1890s. He purchased two lots for $5 in 1897 and built this late Victorian Folk style home in 1902. . . . — Map (db m142676) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Boone/Dalrymple House
The sunburst motif on the front gable end of this single-story, hipped-roof residence signals the builder’s debt to the Queen Anne style. Havre pioneer Daniel H. Boone and his wife, Elizabeth, owned the four-square residence. Built before 1903 and . . . — Map (db m142675) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Company Officers' Quarters (Apartments)Fort Assinniboine
A battlement-topped octagonal turret—a traditional military architectural symbol—distinguishes Fort Assinniboine’s Company Officers’ Quarters. Built in 1880 under supervision of Major J. C. C. Lee, the six-unit building asserted . . . — Map (db m142742) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Company Officer's Quarters (Duplexes)Fort Assinniboine
A row of thirteen mansard-roofed officer's quarters, flanked by two flat-roofed apartment buildings, defined the north east side of the parade grounds. Ten of the buildings were duplexes, most like this one, designed to house married officers and . . . — Map (db m142798) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Fort Assinniboine
According to the United States War Department, Fort Assinniboine was established in 1879 “for the purpose of protecting the citizens of Montana from the hostile incursions of Indian tribes dwelling in that region; and especially ... the Sioux . . . — Map (db m142772) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — GuardhouseFort Assinniboine
With its graceful dormer and full-length front porch supported by Tuscan columns, the front of this one-story, hipped-roof building looks like an attractive and comfortable residence. The back of the building, with its small, arched barred windows . . . — Map (db m142774) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Havre Post Office and Courthouse
Red brick, finely crafted stonework, and a colonnade reminiscent of a Greek temple brought an imposing federal symbol to Havre in the 1930s. Securing state and federal funds for this post office was an expression of optimism during economic . . . — Map (db m142645) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — LibraryFort Assinniboine
The post’s first library was relegated to a small space at the back of the Signal Corps office, but in 1888-89 the military spent $1,409.13 to build a one-story, brick, hipped-roof library with multiple wings. A visiting Helena reporter called the . . . — Map (db m142773) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Lou Lucke Sr. House
The quintessential businessman, Lou Lucke arrived in Havre in 1903, where he founded a shoe repair and later a clothing store and a dry cleaning business. He also speculated in real estate. When the homestead boom in turn boomed Havre, Lou and local . . . — Map (db m142672) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Non-Commissioned Officers' QuartersFort Assinniboine
In its final years as a military outpost in 1904 and 1905, Fort Assinniboine underwent an extensive effort to expand and modernize its facilities. Great Falls contractors Frank Coombs and Duncan Brothers built this residential duplex in 1905 for . . . — Map (db m142679) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Officers' Amusement Hall
In its final years as a military outpost in 1904 and 1905, Fort Assinniboine underwent an extensive effort to expand and modernize its facilities. Great Falls contractors Frank Coombs and Duncan Brothers built this residential duplex in 1905 for . . . — Map (db m142741) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Post ExchangeFort Assinniboine
Frontier capitalist C. A. Broadwater received the contract to provide locally manufactured bricks and timber, hauled from the Bear’s Paw Mountains, to construct Fort Assinniboine. He hired five hundred Métis (mixed-blood Chippewa-Cree) from the . . . — Map (db m142775) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Root CellarFort Assinniboine
Before refrigeration, rural Americans preserved perishables in root cellars. The fort’s first root cellar, a 100-by-20- foot structure, was built in 1879-80. In 1902 the government invested $3,900 (about $237,000 in 2011 dollars) to replace the . . . — Map (db m142799) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
Havre's first Episcopal church service was held in 1900 at Fort Assiniboine, south of Havre. After the arrival of the Reverend Leonard J. Christler in 1907, regular services were conducted in town. The Reverend Christler immediately began plans for . . . — Map (db m142671) HM
Montana (Hill County), Havre — Wahkpa Chu'gn Buffalo Jump
Immense herds of bison once roamed the great North American prairies. As many as 30 million of the great shaggy beasts moved seasonally in herds of 25 to 300, following the same patterns year after year. Bison, or buffalo, were the lifeblood of the . . . — Map (db m142638) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Anaconda Hotel(Fairweather Inn)
The oldest section of this building, dating to 1863, was first a simple one-story building which housed a restaurant called the “Young American Eating House.” A butcher shop followed from 1866 to the 1880s, and then in the 1880s the . . . — Map (db m49474) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Barlett’s Blacksmith Shop
Virginia City boomed and land prices soared accordingly in 1863 and 1864, a trend well illustrated in the earliest ownership transactions of this choice commercial property. On May 13, 1864, George Parker paid $800 for the lot and sold it for $1400 . . . — Map (db m49441) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — C. L. Dahler House
Two small houses shared this choice corner location in 1866, but after 1875, photographs reveal the unmistakable steeply pitched roof and central gable of this splendid Gothic Revival style residence. Expansion and remodeling during the 1890s . . . — Map (db m117044) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Creighton Stone Block
Brothers John A. and Edward Creighton came west scouting the first transcontinental telegraph lines from Omaha, Nebraska, to the coast. Temporarily settling in Virginia City, Edward hired Thompson and Griffith to construct this building, the . . . — Map (db m117047) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Dance and Stuart Store
James Stuart and his brother Granville set up the first sluice boxes in the northern Rockies in 1852. Delaware native Walter B. Dance came to Gold Creek in 1862. James Stuart and Dance opened their mercantile in November, 1863. One of Virginia . . . — Map (db m49442) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Dr. Don L. Byam Residence
Light timber framing with board-and-batten walls characterizes this early home original to the Nevada City townsite. Inside, the original, well-preserved, muslin-covered walls are a rare example of a frontier decorating technique. The cabin’s . . . — Map (db m117035) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — E. L. Smith Store
The design of this false-fronted wooden shop, built in 1863, includes hand hewn timbers and bay windows which are said to have been Montana's first "show windows.” The Star Billiard Hall was an early tenant, followed by a shoe dealer and . . . — Map (db m117093) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Elling Bank
Bankers Nowlan and Weary set up business in this brick-veneered building, one of the town’s oldest stone structures, in 1864. Three well-proportioned gothic arches with elaborate tracery, removed during 1910 remodeling, originally graced this stone . . . — Map (db m49486) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — F.R. Merk Block
Gold dust was the common currency when George Higgins built this sturdy “fire-proof stone” business block circa 1866. F.R. Merk leased the new building for his mercantile, advertising fancy and staple groceries, liquors, Queensware, . . . — Map (db m49440) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Finney House
Construction layers of this original homestead tell much of Nevada City’s ‘boom and bust’ history. In 1864, miner Frank Finney and his bride, Mary, moved into a cabin on this property that had been constructed the previous year. The cabin forms the . . . — Map (db m49567) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Frank Prasch Blacksmith Shop
Like the blacksmith shop next door, this early building was probably a dance hall or saloon in the mid-1860s run by owner John Trollman. In 1865 Trollman was one of Virginia City’s seventy-three licensed retail liquor dealers. By the 1870, a larger . . . — Map (db m49410) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — G. Goldberg Store(McGovern Dry Goods)
This 1863 building features a classic Greek Revival style storefront with French doors, typical of the 1860s frontier. The lintel above the door still bears the name of G. Goldberg, who ran the Pioneer Clothing Store Company prior to 1866. The . . . — Map (db m49469) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Green Front Boarding House
These two adjoining log houses were probably built by Calvin Holly and William Douglas as dwellings in the late 1860s. By 1890, the two buildings were operated as “female boarding houses” or house of prostitution run by madames Myrtle . . . — Map (db m49385) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Metropolitan Meat Market
George Gohn was one of the first to arrive at Alder Gulch in 1863 where he and Conrad Kohrs set up a meat market in a log cabin. Alkali dust sifted through the chinks and covered the meat prompting Gohn to experiment with various other locations . . . — Map (db m49479) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Pfouts and Russel(Rank’s Drug – Old Masonic Temple)
Paris Pfouts, Vigilante president and Virginia City’s first mayor, was instrumental in laying out the town. He and his partner, Samuel Russell, built a log store on this site in summer, 1863. Local hell-raiser Jack Slade was arrested here on March . . . — Map (db m49484) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — S. R. Buford & Company
Rounded arches and a tall false front characterize Virginia City's first brick building, built by clothing merchant E. J. Walter in 1875. It is said that construction using locally produced bricks was accomplished as a test before the building of . . . — Map (db m117100) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — S.L. Simpson Building(Barber Shop)
This narrow frame building may be one of Virginia City’s earliest structures, dating to the summer of 1863 when buildings like this were rented for up to $175 during the initial gold rush. Its odd-sized door appears to have been locally handmade. . . . — Map (db m49412) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Sauerbier Blacksmith Shop
A notorious dance hall was the original occupant of this 1863 building which encompasses a small cabin of V-notched logs, one of the first built in June of that year. Tall French doors and a few dentils clinging to the facade recall its former dance . . . — Map (db m49407) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Smith & Boyd Livery Stable
This false-fronted rubble stone barn was constructed by Smith and Boyd circa 1900, replacing a log livery stable. The stone part of the building and the front doors and windows remain as they were at the turn of the century. The barn was converted . . . — Map (db m49387) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Stonewall Hall
From 1865 to 1875 when Virginia City was Montana’s territorial capital, the Territorial Legislature met on the second floor of this stone building. Constructed in 1864, it is Montana’s oldest standing capitol building. The second floor also housed . . . — Map (db m49439) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Strasburger’s Colorado Store(Jewelry Store)
This property contributes to the Virginia City Historic District • Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior • In cooperation . . . — Map (db m49470) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Thompson-Hickman Library and Museum
William Boyce Thompson and his wife, Gertrude Hickman, were born in Virginia City to parents of early pioneers. The couple moved to New York City, but retained local ties. The Thompsons provided the funds to build this facility housing a public . . . — Map (db m117107) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Virginia City National Historic Landmark District
The spectacular gold discovery in Alder Gulch on May 26, 1863, led to the rapid growth of this colorful and legendary gold camp town. Thousands of fortune-seekers rushed to the area, and by 1864 the Virginia City area boasted 30,000 residents. Rough . . . — Map (db m49382) HM
Montana (Mineral County), Haugan — Savenac Nursery Historic District
Creation of the National Forest Service in 1905 brought Elers Koch, one of the nation's first professional foresters, to inspect and evaluate the Forest Reserves of Montana and Wyoming. Appointed Forest Supervisor of the Bitterroot and Lolo National . . . — Map (db m123027) HM
Montana (Mineral County), Superior — Superior School
Travelers along the Mullan Road and prosectors lured by the 1869 discovery of gold on Cedar Creek opened the way for settlement of this area. After the placer gold played out and other mining camps became ghost towns, the town of Superior continued . . . — Map (db m123029) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 1028 Wolf StreetNorthside Missoula Railroad Historic District
xpansion of the railroad after the turn of the twentieth century brought many new residents to Urlin’s Addition on Missoula’s Northside. Rental housing such as this one-story Pyramid Cottage style residence, constructed circa 1907 and originally . . . — Map (db m144528) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 140 University AvenueUniversity Area Historic District
Advertised as “The Choice Residence Section of Missoula,” the Hammond Addition attracted successful businessmen like David J. Haviland, who could afford the exclusivity the neighborhood offered. Lots in the Hammond Addition cost $500, as . . . — Map (db m144272) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 315 DalyUniversity Area Historic District
The Craftsman style created such local fervor that in 1911 the Missoulian Publishing Company hosted a local contest offering a Craftsman bungalow style home as the grand prize. That home stands today just outside the University Area district. By the . . . — Map (db m144238) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 415 Connell AvenueUniversity Area Historic District
Contractor E. S. Newton, who purchased this lot in 1910, undoubtedly constructed this fashionable bungalow. With its low-pitched hipped roof and wide, sheltering eaves, the one-story residence was designed to convey a sense of comfort and security. . . . — Map (db m144225) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 425 ConnellUniversity Area Historic District
Insurance agent George F. Gould and his wife, Susie, purchased this lot from the South Missoula Land Company in 1913. The deed stipulated that a dwelling worth at least $3,000 be constructed on the premises within fifteen years. The Goulds, however, . . . — Map (db m144211) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 426 North First Street WestNorthside Missoula Railroad Historic District
One hundred thirty-seven Missoulians—mostly railroad workers—lived in the Ross House, a large hotel complex that occupied half this block in 1890. Ten years later, a covered walkway still connected the two-story wooden building on this . . . — Map (db m144493) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 439 Connell AvenueUniversity Area Historic District
Low-pitched gables, large sheltering eaves with decorative braces, and an inviting front porch supported by “battered” piers mark this circa 1916 residence as a Craftsman style home. Irene Risley, married to railroad supply salesman . . . — Map (db m144209) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 521 University AvenueUniversity Area Historic District
Deed records show that the Northern Pacific Railroad sold this property to the South Missoula Land Company in 1889. Company shareholder A. B. Hammond subsequently platted the Hammond Addition. Buyers of his lots signed an agreement promising to . . . — Map (db m144275) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 613 North Third Street WestNorthside Missoula Railroad Historic District
Born of the 1883 arrival of the Northern Pacific Railroad, the Northside grew with the railroad’s early twentieth- century expansion. Simple housing predominated in the working-class neighborhood, which contained few brick homes. This circa 1904 . . . — Map (db m144526) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — 906 WordenNorthside Missoula Railroad Historic District
As Hellgate trading post grew into Missoula after 1860, farms sprouted north of the city center. The 1883 arrival of the Northern Pacific railroad brought residential construction to the Northside. The new neighborhood housed mainly railroad . . . — Map (db m144525) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Apartment Building at 116 West Spruce
Missoula boasted twenty-six manufacturing enterprises by 1909, including such diverse production as candy, bricks, gas, marble, and meat products. By 1910, the Northern Pacific Railroad shops employed over three hundred workers and the town’s role . . . — Map (db m144772) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — BPOE Lodge #383This Property Contributes to the Missoula Historic District
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the U.S.A., Hell Gate Lodge #383, has offered conviviality, community service, and social support since its founding in 1898. In 1911 lodge members contracted with Montana’s premier architectural firm of . . . — Map (db m144711) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Central Heating PlantUniversity of Montana Historic District
Red-brown brick, cream terra cotta, and huge Tudor style windows belie the utilitarian function of this lofty building. Missoula architects Ole Bakke and Clarence Forbis ingeniously applied the Renaissance Revival style of other contemporary campus . . . — Map (db m144313) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Charles C. Brothers ResidenceUniversity Area Historic District
Two wings at right angles with a two-story section at the juncture form a very unusual floor plan in this unique eclectic residence, built circa 1927 for Charles and Ida Brothers. Inspired by the Prairie style, characteristic architectural elements . . . — Map (db m144274) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Chemistry-Pharmacy BuildingUniversity of Montana Historic District
A Public Works Administration loan and bonds funded the construction of this facility, completed in 1939. Architects R. C. Hugenin of Butte and Norman DeKay of Helena designed the distinctive building amidst criticism over the unusual mixing of . . . — Map (db m144147) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Commanding Officer's QuartersFort Missoula Historic District
Reconstruction of Fort Missoula between 1904 and 1912 transformed the old log and frame complex into a more modern, more attractive facility. The Mission style, at the height of popularity during this period, was well suited to this purpose. The . . . — Map (db m144366) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Company Officers' QuartersFort Missoula Historic District
The reconstruction of Fort Missoula after 1904 equipped the facility to serve as a regimental headquarters. The new cast concrete buildings in the Mission style were built along a curved boulevard a few hundred feet northeast of the original parade . . . — Map (db m144365) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Corbin HallUniversity of Montana Historic District
The construction of this women’s residence hall, completed in 1927, marks the end of an era. It was the last building erected in strict accordance with the Carsley-Gilbert campus master plan and placed within the intended U-shaped dormitory . . . — Map (db m144182) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Dixon-Duncan Block
Two Missoula attorneys on opposing sides of the political arena teamed up to construct this attractive commercial building in 1897. Republican Joseph Dixon, who later became Governor of Montana (1921-1925), began his political career as Missoula . . . — Map (db m144753) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Draper ResidenceEast Pine Street Historic District
Neoclassical influences complement the Queen Anne style in this striking transitional home built between 1905 and 1907. A polygonal two-story bay, hipped roof with intersecting gables and wrap around porch lend visual asymmetry characteristic of the . . . — Map (db m130297) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Forestry BuildingUniversity of Montana Historic District
Completion of this facility in 1922 provided the School of Forestry a permanent home. In the Renaissance Revival style specified by Carsley-Gilbert’s master plan, Missoula architect Ole Bakke designed a distinctive building that vividly proclaims . . . — Map (db m144116) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Fort Missoula
Fort Missoula, established in 1877 to provide military control over western Montana’s Indian tribes and protect local settlers, was the only permanent military post west of the Continental Divide. There was little conflict, but the fort’s . . . — Map (db m123257) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Francis L. Worden ResidenceThis Property Contributes to the East Pine Street Historic District
A steeply pitched roof and a Gothic-arched attic window embellish this Folk Gothic style farmhouse, built by Francis L. Worden in 1874. Worden left New York in 1852 for adventure in California, traveled to Panama, clerked for Washington’s . . . — Map (db m144758) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Frank A. Roberts HomeUniversity Area Historic District
The Craftsman style evolved as the architectural expression of simplicity and domestic harmony, merging nature with the built environment. Its popularity in the early 1900s eased the transition from Victorian fussiness to the modern era. This . . . — Map (db m144236) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Free Speech Corner
In autumn 1909, Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) organizers Elizabeth Gurley Flynn and Jack Jones arrived in Missoula, soon followed by there comrade Frank Little. After renting space for a union hall, they took to the streets, determined to . . . — Map (db m123336) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Gleim Building
Built in 1893, this is an excellent example of vernacular adaptation of Romanesque architecture, with its arched windows, checkerboard banding, and rusticated granite sills. Today the building has been restored on its façade and east and west sides . . . — Map (db m144562) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Gleim Building II
Mary Gleim, one of Missoula’s most colorful characters, built this “female boarding house” at the heart of the red light district between 1893 and 1902. It operated as a brothel until progressive reforms closed the district in 1916. The . . . — Map (db m144561) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Headquarters Building and Daily Company Annex
An exuberant ambassador of the late nineteenth century and its more Spartan complement comprise this architectural duet, whose history spans Missoula’s development. The older and more impressive Headquarters Building, designed by architect John . . . — Map (db m144581) HM

256 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 56
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 10, 2020