Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Alexandria, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Alexander Fulton Park Marker image, Touch for more information
April 7, 2018
Alexander Fulton Park Marker
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexander Fulton Park
Alexandria City Halls Alexandria's first city hall, built in 1860, was one of the few buildings not burned in 1864 when the town was razed by federal troops during the Civil War's Red River campaign. However, the building's 20-foot wide sidewalk . . . — Map (db m116042) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexandria
Side A Unnamed during the colonial period, Alexandria's beginnings as the major city in central Louisiana are traced to ca. 1797, when the "seat of justice" for Rapides Post was transferred from the north to the south bank of Red River. By . . . — Map (db m38290) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexandria Daily Town Talk / Old Courthouse Square
Alexandria Daily Town Talk

The newspaper's first edition appeared on March 17, 1883. It was the inspiration and work of two printers, Edgar Hammond McCormick and Henarie Morrison Hule. McCormick, the senior partner, was a native of St. . . . — Map (db m116013) HM

Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexandria Library
This site, located in the town's center square, was set aside for public use on the original town plat commissioned by Alexander Fulton in 1805. The building was constructed solely for advancement of culture and learning in 1907 by Caldwell . . . — Map (db m38292) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Alexandria's Oldest Hospital
The Alexandria Sanitarium, founded by six area physicians, was opened January 1, 1903 in a former hotel at Second and Lee streets "to provide for a skillful treatment of medical and surgical cases of any nature." In 1905 the first building at Third . . . — Map (db m38294) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Arna Wendell Bontemps Home
Bontemps, noted black author-poet, scholar and pioneer in children's literature, was born in Alexandria, Louisiana on October 13, 1902. he was baptized February 22, 1903 at St. Francis Xavier Caathedral. Arna, son of Paul Bismark and Marie . . . — Map (db m117847) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Central Louisiana Chamber of Commerce 100th Anniversary
The Central Louisiana Chamber of Commerce was founded on March 30, 1914 at the Hotel Bentley by 250 business and professional leaders to foster unity and opportunity for the region. — Map (db m116004) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — City Of Alexandria Post Des Rapides
The site for the City of Alexandria was first surveyed by Samuel Levi Wells, II on the land belonging to Alexander Fulton. The city was platted into 81 squares by Frederick Walther for Fulton on February 1, 1805. In 1807, Alexandria was named the . . . — Map (db m116681) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Commercial BuildingBuilt c. 1915
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38319) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Edwin Epps House
Completed in 1852 and owned by Edwin Epps, a former overseer of Oakland Plantation, the Edwin Epps House is located where LSU Alexandria stands today. This single story Creole cottage was originally built on Bayou Boeuf near Holmesville in . . . — Map (db m116044) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Emmanuel Baptist Church
The Alexandria and Pineville Baptist Church was organized in Pineville, Louisiana, on September 6, 1881, with twelve charter members. The name of the Church was changed to Emmanuel Baptist Church on March 30, 1892. In 1897, a wooden Sanctuary at . . . — Map (db m38320) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — England AFB Heritage Park
A symbol of all airmen past, present, and future, the England Air Force Base Heritage Park is a proud reminder of the Air Force's role in our nation's military history. Each of the five aircraft displayed here valiantly contributed to the defense of . . . — Map (db m10104) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — England Air Force Base History
England Air Force Base, which officially closed on December 15, 1992, began as the Alexandria Army Air Base on October 16, 1942 and was formally activated on February 12, 1943, was comprised of 2,604 acres and had two runways -- one north-south . . . — Map (db m37973) WM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Epps House
Built in 1852 by Edwin Epps. Originally located near Holmesville on Bayou Boeuf about three miles away. From 1843 to 1853, Epps, a small planter, owned Solomon Northrup, author of famous slave narrative Twelve Years A Slave.Map (db m87280) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Epps HouseSolomon Northup's Gateway To Freedom
Constructed in 1852 for the Edwin Epps' family, this single story Creole cottage was originally located on Bayou Boeuf near Holmesville in Avoyelles Parish. Relocated to Bunkie, LA in 1976, the house was moved to the LSUA campus in 1999 and . . . — Map (db m116037) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II
The 23d Tactical Fighter Wing accepted its first A-10 Thunderbolt II in December 1980. Nicknamed The Warthog by its pilots, the A-10 was designed to provide close air support for ground forces. One of the most advanced features of the A-10 was its . . . — Map (db m10110) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Headquarters 1st Calvary Division, Army of West La., May 8, 1864
"Headquarters 1st Calvary Division, Army of West La., May 8, 1864 General Order No. - The Brig. Gen. commanding takes occasion to call the attention of their comrades to the gallantry displayed by the officers and men of Terrell's and . . . — Map (db m118259) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Kent Plantation House
Kent House, the oldest known standing structure in Rapides Parish, was built by Pierre Baillio, completed in 1800. Baillio constructed the house on land received through a Spanish land grant circa 1794. — Map (db m38288) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Little Walter
Walter Jacobs, "Little Walter", lived at this site. The Blues legend was born in Marksville, and learned to play harmonica while living in Alexandria. He played often with Muddy Waters and Jimmy Rogers in the 1950's, and heavily influenced Rock . . . — Map (db m117997) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Louisiana Maneuvers
In 1940 Lt. Gen. Stanley D. Embrick of the U.S. Army Fourth Corps Area, Atlanta, Ga., selected central Louisiana as site of training maneuvers to prepare American forces for possible involvement in war in Europe. Louisiana's 1941 maneuvers were the . . . — Map (db m38321) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — LTV Aerospace Vought A-7D Corsair II
When the 23d Tactical Fighter Wing came to England AFB in 1972, the Flying Tigers flew the A-7D Corsair II attack aircraft. For seven months in 1973, A-7 aircraft from the 74th Tactical Fighter Squadron of the 23 TFW deployed to Thailand to support . . . — Map (db m10111) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — North American F-86 Sabre
The Flying Tigers flew the F-86, one of the first swept-wing jet fighters, in the early 1950s. Known as the 23rd Fighter Interceptor Group, the unit provided air defense for the Northeastern United States while stationed at Presque Isle AFB, Maine. . . . — Map (db m10112) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Oakland Hall
In late February 1961, the LSU Board of Supervisors chose a name for the first new permanent building to be constructed on the campus, selecting Oakland Hall in honor of Oakland Plantation, the land on which the campus was located.

Construction . . . — Map (db m116005) HM

Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Oakland Plantation
In the early 1800's Josiah Chambers purchased 6,000 acres. His son, Josiah Chambers, Jr., upgraded the property, built a race track and developed transportation links via roads, bayou navigation and railroad, eventually expanding to almost . . . — Map (db m117593) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Old Rapides Bank Building
This structure was built on property that once belonged to Alexander Fulton. He had acquired it at the end of the 18th century from Marguerite Cecile Christophe Varrangue. Various persons occupied this site until it was acquired by Rapides Bank in . . . — Map (db m38324) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Post-Civil War Alexandria
Side A After having been ravaged by fire during the Civil War, Alexandria was rebuilt and, with the building of railroads after Reconstruction, regained its place as the commercial, financial, medical and transportation center of central . . . — Map (db m38287) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Rapides Parish Governors
Four 19th century Rapides Parish residents served Louisiana as governor. Joseph Marshall Walker (1784-1856), a Bayou Rapides cotton planter, was governor 1850-53 -- the first to be installed in the newly-designated Baton Rouge capital. During his . . . — Map (db m38325) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Red River
Side A Twenty-seven miles southeast of Tucumcari, New Mexico, Red River originates in the watershed of the Frio Draw on the Llano Estacado at an elevation of about 5000 feet. Flowing eastward through Palo Duro Canyon, it subsequently forms . . . — Map (db m38326) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Republic F-105 Thunderchief
From 1964 to 1972 the Flying Tigers flew the F-105 tactical fighter bomber at McConnell AFB, Kansas, where the Tigers functioned as both an operational unit and a training unit. Two of its squadrons served in Vietnam. While at McConnell, the Flying . . . — Map (db m10109) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Republic F-84F Thunderstreak
Relocated from Bringhurst Park and unveiled on 25 April 1992 during a 391st FBS homecoming, it has that squadron's markings, its operations officer as pilot, its weapons NCOIC as crew chief. This airplane is dedicated to all the ‘cold . . . — Map (db m10107) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Complex
When Poste du Rapides was established in Pineville the Catholic mission of St. Louis des Apalachees was founded. Mass was said in private homes in the new town of Alexandria. A chapel built in 1817 was the first church of any denomination in this . . . — Map (db m38327) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — St. James Episcopal Church
The first congregation was organized in 1844 by the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, first Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana. The first cornerstone at Second and St. James Streets was laid in 1851. The Rev. Amos Dunham McCoy was first rector. Federal Troops . . . — Map (db m117848) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — The Guaranty Eagles
Carved of Indiana limestone, originally a part of the Guaranty Bank Building constructed in 1921. Salvaged in 1965 during a major building remodeling, and returned to Guaranty in 1981. — Map (db m38328) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — The Hotel Bentley
The hotel was built in 1907-1908 by Joseph A. Bentley, prominent lumberman and businessman. Bentley came to Central Louisiana from Pennsylvania to engage in the sawmill business and the cutting of the virgin pine forest which was the first serious . . . — Map (db m38323) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — The James Wade Bolton House
When Alexandria was first surveyed as a town in 1805, this site was one-half block south of the public square. In 1899, James Wade Bolton, one of the prominent Alexandria banking family, acquired this property. The house is exemplary of the Queen . . . — Map (db m116002) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — The Rotary Club of Alexandria, Louisiana
The Rotary Club of Alexandria, Louisiana

Was chartered December 1, 1916. It is the fourth oldest club in Louisiana and the 259th in the Rotary world.

As of 2007, there were over 32,000 clubs in 200 countries with more than 1,200,000 . . . — Map (db m116059) HM

Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Thomas Courtland Manning1825-1887
Side No. 1 On this site in 1906, the City Library known as the Manning Memorial Library was opened, named in honor of a 19th century resident who served his State and his Nation. Hundreds of his personal volumes were donated to this library, . . . — Map (db m38291) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement