Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clinton, Tennessee Historical Markers

 
City of Pearls Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, December 30, 2017
City of Pearls Marker
Tennessee (Anderson County), Clinton — City of Pearls
In 1895, Sam Hendrickson (pictured) started Clinton's pearling industry. Clinton's citizens used braille boats (pictured) with braille hooks (pictured) to drag the bottom of the Clinch River for mussel shells (pictured). Young's Island (pictured) . . . — Map (db m112097) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Clinton — 1D 41 — Clinton High School
Following a court order by Federal District Judge Robert L. Taylor, on August 27, 1956, 12 black students, now known as "The Clinton 12", enrolled in Clinton High School without incident, making it one of the first desegregated public high schools . . . — Map (db m121331) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Clinton — Prelude: The Green McAdoo School
Freedman's Hill, or Foley Hill as it came to be known, has long been an educational site for the African American community, whether in the schoolhouse built by the Freedman's Bureau after the Civil War, later destroyed by fire, or the churches of . . . — Map (db m70646) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Clinton — 1D 20 — The Market Place of Pearls
From about 1895 to 1936 Tennessee was one of the nation's six leading states in marketing pearls. Clinton was listed as one of three Tennessee towns known as centers of the pearling industry. New York dealers came regularly to Clinton during the . . . — Map (db m112098) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement