Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Dumfries, Virginia Historical Markers

 
“Camp Fisher” Civil War Campsite Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin W., January 16, 2008
“Camp Fisher” Civil War Campsite Marker
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — “Camp Fisher” Civil War Campsite
The 2nd & 11th Mississippi Infantry Regt’s. (C.S.A.) camped here from Oct 1861 to Mar 1862. They named their camp in observance of the 6th North Carolina’s Camp Fisher (1 Mile to the NW). The 6th N.C. was the first Reg’t. to establish quarters in . . . — Map (db m3820) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Carey M. Perkinson
This building is dedicated to Carey M. Perkinson for his years of service to the Dumfries-Triangle Vol. Fire Dept. & Auxiliary and the Dumfries-Triangle Rescue Squad August 1993 — Map (db m86256) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Colonial Dumfries - Williams Ordinary
Williams Ordinary is believed to have been built in the 1760s, although the exact construction date is unknown. The building’s symmetrical façade features header bond, a brick pattern rarely found in Virginia. This building was one of the most . . . — Map (db m3297) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Dumfries - Love’s Tavern
Dumfries, an important Potomac River port chartered in 1749, became strategically significant in the autumn of 1861 when Confederate forces built batteries along the Potomac River nearby to blockade Washington, D.C. Gen. William H.C. Whiting, . . . — Map (db m3207) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Dumfries Cemetery
At this location stood the Quantico Chapel, a log church, serving the first settlers of Overwharton Parish ca. 1667 — Map (db m7301) HM
Virginia (Prince WIlliam County), Dumfries — E-82 — Dumfries Raid
On 26 December 1862, Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuard led 1,800 cavalry out of Fredericksburg on his third and last major raid. Stuart divided his column and on 27 December launched a two-pronged attack on Dumfries, a major Union supply base. The garrison . . . — Map (db m2177) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Dumfries Rest Area
Dedicated May 11, 1965 by Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson — Map (db m7398) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — 15 — Graham Park
Just east of this location along the Quantico creek was the plantation known as Graham Park. This property was patented by John Graham (1711-1787) who came to Virginia from Scotland about 1733. Graham is known as the founder of Dumfries since the . . . — Map (db m519) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — E-83 — History of Dumfries
Dumfries, first settled in the early 18th century, became in 1749 the first town in Prince William County chartered by the House of Burgesses. It soon grew in wealth and importance as a major port, rivaling Alexandria, Baltimore, and New York in . . . — Map (db m520) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — In Memory — Anderson
In Memory of those who sacrificed their lives in defense of our country — Map (db m7303) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Montclair Veterans Flagpole
Dedicated to the brave Montclair residents who served our country in Operation Desert Storm. — Map (db m7395) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — G-18 — Neabsco Mills Ironworks
The Neabsco Mills Ironworks complex, under the ownership of three generations of the Tayloe family, of Richmond County, operated between 1737 and 1828. Located near this site, it was one of the longest continually operating ironworks in present-day . . . — Map (db m2105) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Potomac Path
The Potomac Path, or King’s Highway, was a major transportation route linking the northern and southern colonies in colonial America. Following an ancient Indian trail, the road assumed great importance for overland travel between the colonies and . . . — Map (db m5365) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Prince William County Court House
Dumfries - 1760–1822. Forty yards southerly of this spot stood the third court house of Prince William County. The brick in this monument came from the foundation of this old court house, and was donated present owners of said court house . . . — Map (db m2274) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Quantico Church
This site was the location of the 1745 stone church and the frame edifice of the Dettingen Parish in the twentieth century. Here lies the mortal remains of the Dumfries pioneers, from 1667. — Map (db m7296) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — E-53 — Revolutionary War Campaign of 1781
The roads through Prince William County were important routes for the Revolutionary War campaign of 1781. In April, the Marquis de Lafayette passed through the county on the King's Highway with a portion of Gen. George Washington's Continental Army. . . . — Map (db m522) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Revolutionary War Patriots and War of 1812 Veterans
Revolutionary War Patriots and War of 1812 Veterans known to be interred in Historic Dumfries Cemetery Revolutionary War QM Timothy Brundige 1754 - 1822 PVT George Smith 1765 - 1822 Patriot Thomas Cave 1745 - 1802 PVT William Ford - . . . — Map (db m85566) WM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Rippon Lodge
Built by Richard Blackburn of Ripon, England circa 1745, Rippon Lodge was home to many noted individuals including Colonel Thomas Blackburn, a former aide to General George Washington, Judge Wade Ellis, a Federal Judge in Washington, D.C., and . . . — Map (db m5366) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — 19 — Troop Movements and Camp
Prince William militia opened a road nearby in preparation for the Yorktown Campaign of 1781. French and American cavalry, wagon trains, and cattle unable to use the ferry at Woodbridge, traveled this road, fording the river at Wolf Run Shoals on . . . — Map (db m2166) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Weems Botts Museum
The Weems-Botts House offers a fascinating history on Virginia’s oldest chartered town and two of the more colorful personalities to have lived here: the Rev. Mason Locke Weems and attorney Benjamin Botts. Weems, biographer of George Washington, was . . . — Map (db m5371) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Weems-Botts House
Weems-Botts House Dumfries, Virginia Marked by Bill of Rights Chapter, NSDAR October 6, 1996 Also on the house: This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m2360) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Weems-Botts House
Built in 1747, the Weems-Botts House is one of the oldest surviving structures in Dumfries. The smaller, original section of the house comprised two rooms and served as the Quantico Church vestry until the town confiscated it during the American . . . — Map (db m101526) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — William Grayson Bandstand Memorial
Erected by The Prince William County Historical Commission in observance of the American Independance Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m2362) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Williams Ordinary
Built in the form of an eighteenth century mansion, neither a construction date nor a builder for the Ordinary is known. It has been suggested that it was built around 1765 by James Wren because of the many stylistic parallels between it and the . . . — Map (db m5368) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Dumfries — Willoughby Tebbs
Revolutionary War Soldier Willoughby Tebbs 2 LT, QM, Grayson's Regt, VA 1759 - 1803 — Map (db m6129) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.