Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pittsburg, Texas Historical Markers

 
Abernathy House and marker image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
Abernathy House and marker
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 18101 — Abernathy House
David Harper Abernathy was born in 1858 in Arkansas. He moved with his family to Pittsburg in 1864. After learning business in Nashville, Tennessee, David returned to help Run his father's dry goods store. He was a major leader in town and was . . . — Map (db m139316) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9789 — Camp County
Formed from Upshur County Created April 6, 1874 Organized June 20, 1874 Named in Honor of John Lafayette Camp 1828-1891 Soldier – Lawyer – Statesman. Member of the Constitutional Convention 1866, State . . . — Map (db m139379) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 13073 — Camp County Courthouse
The Texas Legislature created Camp County from the northern part of Upshur County in 1874, and voters chose Pittsburg as their county seat. The county built its first courthouse in 1881. As Pittsburg grew, the two-story brick edifice became too . . . — Map (db m139364) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9788 — Colonel John L. Camp (1828-1891)
Came to Texas from Alabama in 1849. Practiced law and taught school in Gilmer.

In Civil War, organized and was elected captain of Co. E, 14th Texas Cavalry (dismounted), unit in famed Gen. M. D. Ector's brigade. In thick of fight, in . . . — Map (db m139372) HM

Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9793 — Cotton Belt Depot
The narrow gauge Texas & St. Louis (Cotton Belt) Railroad arrived in Pittsburg in 1880. William Harrison Pitts, founder of Pittsburg, had donated land for a railroad depot in 1875. This depot, the second built on this site, was completed in 1901 and . . . — Map (db m139324) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 15465 — First Carnegie Library in Texas
At 1898 request of firm mining coal in Pittsburg, philanthropist Andrew Carnegie gave $5,000 to match local pledges and build the first Carnegie Library (of 31) in Texas on this site. The masonry building was also the opera house and city hall. . . . — Map (db m139361) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9796 — First Methodist Church of Pittsburg
The charter members of this church, organized in 1857 by the Rev. J. W. Harvey Hamill, included Major and Mrs. W. H. Pitts and others in the Pitts family, for whom this town was named. The congregation worshipped first in a log structure, then . . . — Map (db m139363) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 11790 — Pitts Family Cemetery
The Pitts Family Cemetery was established by William Harrison Pitts, founder of Pittsburg, according to family history. The earliest burial on this site was that of Sarah Richardson Harvey Pitts, the third wife of W. H. Pitts and mother of their . . . — Map (db m139328) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9805 — Pittsburg
Anglo settlement of this area began in the 1850s. The W. H. Pitts (1815-1898) family arrived from Georgia in 1854, and soon were joined by more settlers from the southern United States. Pitts donated land for a townsite, which was named in his . . . — Map (db m139320) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9807 — Riley Cemetery
The oldest documented grave in this cemetery, that of Louise Gillum, dates to 1859. The land was acquired by John Riley, Sr. from A.W. Smith in 1875, and became known as Riley Cemetery. Early settlers buried here include John and Elizabeth Keeling . . . — Map (db m47883) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9808 — Saint Beulah Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
The C.M.E. Church in Pittsburg was organized by the Rev. Joseph Lloyd, who came here between 1870 and 1889. The name St. Beulah was adopted after this sanctuary was constructed in 1896. The wood frame Gothic revival building has an asymmetrical . . . — Map (db m139370) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 15475 — Shootout at the Pittsburg Depot
A domestic dispute involving George "Dallas" Smart, wife Annie and U.S. Army Lt. John W. Heard resulted in a public confrontation here on Feb. 10, 1885 as Heard planned to leave town. In the ensuing struggle, fueled by a crowd, Heard shot and killed . . . — Map (db m139321) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9810 — Stafford-Paris House
This Victorian residence with ornate gingerbread woodwork was built in 1899 for the family of Eugene Fore. In 1913 it was sold to Camp County Sheriff J. D. Stafford, who lived here for 24 years. Dr. Ernest Paris, a prominent local chiropractor, and . . . — Map (db m139319) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9794 — The Ezekiel Airship
Baptist minister and inventor Burrell Cannon (1848-1922) led some Pittsburg investors to establish the Ezekiel Airship Company and build a craft described in the biblical book of Ezekiel. The ship had large, fabric-covered wings powered by an engine . . . — Map (db m139367) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 9797 — W. L. Garrett Building
Constructed in the 1890s, this building began as a one-story commercial structure. W. L. Garrett (1867-1931) bought the property in 1902 for his mercantile business and in 1923 added a second story. In addition to Garrett's store, the building also . . . — Map (db m139360) HM
Texas (Camp County), Pittsburg — 11791 — William Harrison Pitts (1815 - 1898)
Born in Georgia to Hardy and Drucilla (Neal) Pitts, William Harrison Pitts moved his plantation household to this area by 1854. He purchased 200 acres and built a home near this site. A settlement began to spring up, and a post office was . . . — Map (db m139325) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement