Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tiffin, Ohio Historical Markers

 
Camp Ball Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
Camp Ball Marker
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 3-74 — Camp Ball
In July 1813 a detachment of soldiers under Lt. Col. James V. Ball built a supply fort here along the military road that ran along the west bank of the Sandusky River. Ball chose this site for its large spring of cold water, which he enclosed within . . . — Map (db m17977) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 8-74 — Camp NobleThe Buckeye Vanguard
This is the site of Camp Noble, named for Congressman Warren P. Noble, who obtained the officer’s commission for William H. Gibson as the colonel of the 49th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Companies of 100 began to arrive here August 12, 1861 from . . . — Map (db m141529) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 4-74 — Early Electric Illumination, 1884
When St.Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated on January 6, 1884, an ornate brass chandelier presented by the Edison Electric Light Company provided illumination for the ceremony. Wired for electric lighting before its completion, St. . . . — Map (db m140953) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — Fort Ball
1813. This Tree Marks The Site of Old Fort Ball Built in 1813 by Order of General Harrison. — Map (db m104132) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 12-74 — Founding of Tiffin
In 1822 Josiah Hedges purchased the land that would become Tiffin from the Delaware Land Office. By March, this land, situated across the Sandusky River from old Fort Ball (War of 1812) was surveyed and platted by General James Hedges, the brother . . . — Map (db m119964) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 9-74 — Mercy Hospital of Tiffin / The Sisters of Mercy Come to Tiffin
The Pastor of St. Mary’s Church, Rev. Thomas F. Conlon, met with the newly appointed bishop of the Toledo Diocese, the Right Rev. Joseph Schrembs, to discuss building a charity hospital for the community. Community leaders and physicians promoted . . . — Map (db m140838) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 11-74 — Rezin W. Shawhan & the Seneca County Museum
The Seneca County Museum is the former home of local businessman Rezin W. Shawhan. Born in 1811, Shawhan arrived in Tiffin in 1832 and opened a store with his brother Lorenzo. The store’s success enabled Rezin to expand his interests into real . . . — Map (db m140870) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 10-74 — State's First Female Lawyers
Side A In 1873, Tiffin's Cronise sisters became the first women admitted to the Ohio Bar. At that time, Ohio did not provide for the admission of women attorneys. On April 4th 1873, Nettie Cronise applied to the district court. Despite . . . — Map (db m100140) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 6-74 — Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
A) In 1858, the Sandusky Dayton Cincinnati Railroad Company took control of the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad line and built the Tiffin passenger depot in 1862, which served as one of the six railroad depots in the Tiffin area. As a result of the . . . — Map (db m119969) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement