Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Windsor, Ontario Historical Markers

 
1748 Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, August 9, 2010
1748 Marker
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — 1748
. . . — Map (db m37519) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — French Settlement on the South Shore
Front - In English Windsor is the oldest known site of continuous settlement in Ontario. The government of New France, anxious to increase its presence on the Detroit River, offered land agricultural settlement on the south shore in 1749. . . . — Map (db m37343) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — Hiram Walker1816 - 1899
Massachusetts born, Hiram Walker had by the 1850s become a successful general merchant, distiller and grain dealer in Detroit. After Michigan adopted prohibition in 1855 he acquired land across the river in Canada where he established a distillery . . . — Map (db m37377) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — Hull's Landing 1812
On July 4, 1812, Brigadier-General William Hull, commander of the North Western Army of the United States, landed with about 2,000 men near this site. He issued a proclamation stating that he came here to liberate Canada from oppression. The British . . . — Map (db m34302) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — Jesuit Mission to the Hurons
In 1728 a mission to the Huron Indians was established near Fort Pontchartrain (Detroit) by Father Armand de la Richardie, S.J. The mission was moved to Bois Blane Island and the adjacent mainland in 1742. In 1747 it was destroyed by disaffected . . . — Map (db m37386) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — Montreal Point in 1782The Huron First Nation's gift to the Roman Catholic Church
In the year 1782 the Huron First Nation gave Montreal Point to the Diocese. The Jesuit Fathers constructed the Assumption Parish in 1787, the first Roman Catholic Parish west of Montreal, Quebec. Today the park, named Assumption, is owned and . . . — Map (db m37389) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — Original Home of Major F.A. Tilston V.C. Armoury
This armoury was named after Major Fred Tilston, a true military hero of this community. Maj. Tilston, a member of the Essex Scottish, was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest award for bravery, for his exploits at the Battle of Hochwald Forest . . . — Map (db m42292) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Battle of Windsor - 1838
Early on December 4, 1838 a force of about 140 American and Canadian supporters of William Lyon MacKenzie crossed the river from Detroit and landed about one mile east of here. After capturing and burning a nearby militia barracks, they took . . . — Map (db m37172) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Capture of Detroit
Confident of victory, General Hull had invaded Canada in July 1812, but failed to take advantage of his early success and the demoralization of the defenders. Fear of the Indians then rallying to the British cause and an inability to maintain supply . . . — Map (db m34321) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Detroit River
The Detroit River is unique in Canada, the United States and indeed, the world. Its shores embrace the largest metropolitan area on any international border - but rather than separating communities, the river connects them culturally and . . . — Map (db m37378) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Francois Baby House
This house and adjacent farmland were the property of François Baby (1763-1856), first member for Kent in the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada (1792-96), militia officer and Assistant Quarter Master General during the War of 1812. When the . . . — Map (db m34303) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Great Western Railway
The main line of “The Great Western”, from Niagara Falls through Hamilton and London to Windsor, was opened in 1854. The company extended its line from Hamilton to Toronto in 1855, from Komoka to Sarnia in 1858, and from Glencoe to Fort . . . — Map (db m100728) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray, PC., C.C., Q.C.
The Rt. Hon. Gray represented the west side of Windsor in the House of Commons from June 1962 to January 2002. He was elected thirteen consecutive times - a record - and set another record for continuous days of service in the House of . . . — Map (db m37496) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Siege of Detroit 1763
Shortly after the founding of Detroit in 1970 a village of Ottawa Indians was established on the south shore of the river in this vicinity and its inhabitants lived on friendly terms with the French garrison and settlers. However after the British . . . — Map (db m36944) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — The Underground Railroad in Canada
From the early 19th century until the American Civil War, settlements along the Detroit and Niagara rivers were important terminals of the Underground Railroad. White and black abolitionists formed a heroic network dedicated to helping free and . . . — Map (db m37379) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement