Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Grundy County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid Wide shot image, Touch for more information
By Tom Gillard, December 27, 2009
Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid Wide shot
Tennessee (Grundy County), Altamont — 2E 51 — Forrest's Murfreesboro RaidJuly 10, 1862
On Main Street (Tennessee Route 56) at Tennessee Route 108, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Col. Nathan Bedford Forrest's brigade, having left Chattanooga July 9, bivouacked here enroute to his capture of Murfreesboro. The Brigade then consisted of the 8th Texas Cavalry (Wharton), 2nd Georgis Cavalry (Lawton), and Woodard's Kentucky . . . — Map (db m25919) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Beersheba Springs — 2E 25 — Beersheba Inn
On Scenic Tennessee Route 56 0 miles west of Hege Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
1/4 mile southeast. In 1837 several log structures were built and later joined together. Later buildings of handmade brick were added. Enlargement to present form was made by Col. John Armfield in 1857. In antebellum days the courtyard was the scene . . . — Map (db m25917) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Beersheba Springs — 2E 52 — Forrest's Murfreesboro RaidJuly 10, 1862
On Tennessee Route 56, on the right.
Col. Nathan Bedford Forrest's brigade passed here enroute to its junction with additional units, to be followed by a further advance on the Federal garrison and stores at Murfreesboro. Leaving Chattanooga on July 9, the brigade here consisted of the . . . — Map (db m25918) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Beersheba Springs — 2E 42 — Mary Noailles Murfree1850-1922
On Tennessee Route 56 at Dahlgron Street, on the left when traveling east on State Route 56.
Described as "Tennessee's foremost woman writer of fiction." she used the pen name Charles Egbert Craddock for over thirty years. The Tennessee mountains and the Civil War were used as the settings for her novels and short stories, and she gathered . . . — Map (db m25915) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Gruetli/Laager — 2E 43 — Gruetli
On Tennessee Route 108 at 20th Ave South, on the right when traveling east on State Route 108.
Apparently named for a commune in the canton of Glarus, Switzerland, it was founded by Peter Staub, native of that locality, and 100 Swiss families who bought land here, on April 11, 1896. Since 1880, normal increases in population and the desire . . . — Map (db m81630) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Gruetli-Laager — 2E 71 — Melchior Thoni, Jr1849 - 1926
On Tennessee Route 108 0.3 miles west of 18th Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
One of the original Swiss settlers of Gruetli in 1869, Melchior Thoni become one of the most famous woodcarvers of Tennessee, executing carvings in the old Governor’s Mansion and the altar of Christ Church in Nashville. About 1880, among his many . . . — Map (db m60430) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Monteagle — 2E 76 — Monteagle Sunday School Assembly
On Assembly Avenue (Tennessee Route 41-a) at College Street, on the right when traveling north on Assembly Avenue.
MSSA differed from other Chautauquas and is significant is that it was ecumenical from the beginning. Known as the Chautauqua of the South, it has conducted annual assemblies for religious and educational programs without interruption since 1883. In . . . — Map (db m56195) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Pelham — 2E3 — Grundy County
On Hillsboro Highway (U.S. 41), on the right when traveling south.
Established 1844: named in honor of Felix Grundy of Virginia. Chief Justice of the Kentucky Supreme Court; Rep. in Congress from Tenn. 1811-1814. US Senator 1829-38. Attorney Gen. in President Van Buren's Cabinet. At the time of his death in 1840, . . . — Map (db m26596) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Tracy City — 2E 58 — Fiery Gizzard
On Altamont Street (U.S. 41) at Railroad Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Altamont Street.
(obverse) Nearby, in the early 1870’s, a crude experimental blast furnace was built by Samuel E. Jones for the Tennessee Coal and Railroad Company. Called “Fiery Gizzard”, the furnace was to determine if coke burned from local . . . — Map (db m60429) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Tracy City — 2E 61 — Lone Rock Coke Ovens
On 7th Street (U.S. 41) at 9th St, on the left when traveling west on 7th Street.
The Tennessee Coal and Iron Company in 1883 built 120 coke ovens 6 miles east to help supply its growing iron works. The company contracted with the state, and convicts worked the ovens until 1896. On August 13, 1892, Tracy City miners, who opposed . . . — Map (db m60428) HM
Tennessee (Grundy County), Tracy City — Roho The Coalminer
On U.S. 41.
The Miner's Legacy of Hard Work, Devotion To Family, Concern for Community, and Patriotism Has Had A Continuous Influence On Succeeding Generations To Honor Them And Preserve The Memory Of Their Contribution

The Town Of Tracy City Dedicates . . . — Map (db m86246) HM


11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement