On West Main Street at North Well Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
Atop the Edwards Plateau, extending into the scenic Nueces Valley. Angora goat capital of the world. The economy is based on ranching. Wild game is abundant. Created in 1858 and organized 1883 from old Bexar district. Named for Haden Edwards . . . — — Map (db m122862) HM
Late Victorian structure of rusticated limestone, quarried in Southwest Texas. Contractors were Davey and Schott, of Kerrville, 1891. Roof was damaged by 1927 storm that killed 70 people. It was afterward restored.
Recorded Texas Historic . . . — — Map (db m122857) HM
On West Austin Street at North College Street, on the right when traveling west on West Austin Street.
This congregation traces its beginning to organized religious gatherings led by the Rev. D. O. McAllister in a schoolhouse located on property owned by Mary Buswell in 1893. Early worship services were also held in a public schoolhouse and in the . . . — — Map (db m122864) HM
On West Austin Street at North Sweeten Street, on the right when traveling west on West Austin Street.
Built in 1916 by Jesse Walter Gilmer (1883-1961), the two-story Gilmer Hotel was originally wooden, with an upper gallery on the east and south sides. It was frequented by traveling salesmen as well as local ranchers and other visitors. The dining . . . — — Map (db m143115) HM
On West Austin Street at North College Street, on the right when traveling east on West Austin Street.
Formed in Missouri, 1898. Moved to Texas, 1924; to Rocksprings, 1926. Houses complete records on Angora Goats registered in U.S. Pictures of breeders and champion goats on display. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965 — — Map (db m122866) HM
On North Well Street at East Austin Street, on the right when traveling north on North Well Street.
First stone store in town; built 1920-21 by G. M. Carson, merchant. His 1904 general store (on this site) was for years only establishment in county selling caskets. Present store withstood 1927 tornado that killed 72 here; is still owned by the . . . — — Map (db m122858) HM
The town of Rocksprings traces its beginnings to 1889, when J.R. Sweeten dug the first water well in the area to serve new settlers. Three years later, in 1892, Sweeten donated two acres of land to be used as a community cemetery.
There were . . . — — Map (db m143117) HM
On East Main Street at North Well Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street.
Local businessman Street Gilmer and D. H. Comparette of Kerrville built a long distance telephone line from Rocksprings to Kerrville in 1898. They installed the town's first telephone in Newton & Smart's store. The phone was later moved to Gilmer's . . . — — Map (db m122856) HM