Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clay County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Founding of Fort Gaines Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
Founding of Fort Gaines Marker
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 1814 Boundary / Founding of Fort Gaines
1814 Boundary The boundary line defined in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (August 1814) between the confederated Creek tribes and the United States extended eastward from the mouth of Cemochechobee Creek south of here to a point near Jesup, . . . — Map (db m47225) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-1 — Clay County
This County created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 16, 1854, is named for Henry Clay, famous statesman who died in 1852. Near fort Gaines, the County Site, stood the actual Fort built in 1816 for defense in the Creek Indian Wars and named for Gen. . . . — Map (db m47761) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — Clay County Courthouse
Clay County Courthouse is the oldest courthouse in the Pataula Judicial Circuit and one of the oldest in South Georgia. Construction began in 1871 and it was completed in 1873 as shown by Grand Jury Presentments recorded in Minute Book B pages 195, . . . — Map (db m47762) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-6 — Fort Gaines
One of several forts on Georgia’s western frontier for the protection of white settlers, Fort Gaines was established in 1816 by order of Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, commander of a large district, who used this as his headquarters. Containing two . . . — Map (db m48308) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-7 — Fort Gaines Guards
Organized in 1836 under the command of Col. J. E. Brown, for 74 years the Fort Gaines Guards was one of the best and, later, the oldest military organization in western Georgia. Kept intact between wars, the Guards fought in the Indian and Mexican . . . — Map (db m47097) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-9 — Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines
The son of James Gaines, Revolutionary soldier and relative of five Presidents, General Gaines (1777–1849) was born in Virginia. From 1801 to 1804 he built the military highway from Nashville, Tenn., to Natchez, Miss. He made the arrest of . . . — Map (db m47515) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-3 — Historic Sites
DILL HOUSE ~ John Dill (1788-1856) of S.C., military aide to Gen. Gaines, commander of Fort Gaines, and leading pioneer citizen, is said to have built this, “the finest home on the frontier,” with money his wife had saved while a captive . . . — Map (db m47203) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-5 — In the Confederacy
CONFEDERATE FORT - To protect Fort Gaines from Federal gunboats, Confederate Army engineers in 1863 laid out a fort here, commanding a full view of the river for two miles below. A large magazine of lumber and sand was built about 60 feet from the . . . — Map (db m46934) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — Mt. Gilead Baptist ChurchFort Gaines, Georgia
This church was constituted on July 21, 1822, under the leadership of the Rev. Jim Davis, when Fort Gaines was part of Early County. Land for the church was donated and deeded by J. Hugh Edge. The first building, which also served as a schoolhouse, . . . — Map (db m47207) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — Oakland High School
Founded in the 1880’s Oakland High School’s name was derived from oak trees which grew in abundance at this location when the school building was constructed. The school originally had 10 grades. Mrs. Arlene Newton Richardson taught here from 1908 . . . — Map (db m47764) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — Oketeyeconne / Chattahoochee Theater
Oketeyeconne Oketeyeconne, or Okitiyakani, was a Hitchiti-speaking Lower Creek town located near here on the east bank of the Chattahoochee River south of Sandy Creek during the late frontier period. Described in 1799 by Benjamin Hawkins, . . . — Map (db m47227) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-2 — Old Cotton Hill Seminary
Here stood the Cotton Hill Male and Female Seminary incorporated by an Act of the Legislature March 6, 1856, but in existence before that time. Professor Norman Flavius Cooledge, uncle of President Calvin Coolidge, who had come to Georgia for the . . . — Map (db m47103) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — Old Pioneer Cemetery
This was the first established cemetery of Fort Gaines. The earliest death date on a stone marker is 1830. The tombs of Georgia Militia General John Dill and his family are found in an enclosed lot. Reverend John E. Brown, second president of the . . . — Map (db m47792) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-4 — Queen City of the Chattahoochee
Known by the Indians as A-Con-Hollo-Way Tal-lo fa (Highland Town), Fort Gaines, established as a frontier fort in 1816 by Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, was chartered as a town in 1830 and named for Gen Gaines. A shipping point for cotton planters for many . . . — Map (db m47100) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — 030-8 — Site of Fort Gaines Female College
In 1857, the Legislature authorized a lottery to complete this college, chartered in 1838 as Fort Gaines Female Institute. It was finished in 1859. Sereno Taylor was the first principal, followed by John W. Grant. The large college building was used . . . — Map (db m47794) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — The 1836 Fort
In May of 1836 the 88th Regiment of the Georgia Militia built a small fort in anticipation of an attack by the Creek Indians. The Steamer Georgian had arrived crowded with women and children fleeing from the Indian uprising at Roanoke . . . — Map (db m48229) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — The Old Lattice Bridge
Side 1: The second covered bridge across the Chattahoochee River, connecting Clay County, Georgia and Henry County. Alabama was constructed between 1867-69. Bonner and Walden, a New York construction company, were the original contractors . . . — Map (db m48057) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — Toney-Standley House
Side 1: Local Tradition maintains that the Toney-Standley House was built about 1803 by Mr. William Toney. It is reputed that on two occasions Toney had as his overnight guest Aaron Burr, third Vice- President of the United States. . . . — Map (db m50651) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Georgetown — New Lowell United Methodist Church / New Lowell School
New Lowell United Methodist Church Methodist Episcopal Church worship services were conducted in this area during the early 1840’s in a brush arbor. The original church, known as Lowell, was destroyed by fire during the Civil War. From 1865 to . . . — Map (db m23419) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.