24 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Dillon County, South Carolina
Adjacent to Dillon County, South Carolina
► Florence County (73) ► Horry County (199) ► Marion County (24) ► Marlboro County (39) ► Columbus County, North Carolina (4) ► Robeson County, North Carolina (17)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|About 0.4 miles NW is Reedy Creek Springs, known for the medicinal value of its water. Here, before the turn of the century, William B. Allen laid out a quadrangle of a few acres, planted water oaks, and built a pavilion, hotel, cottages, and . . . — — Map (db m17312) HM|
|This house, located ¼ mile east, was built about 1857 by Joel Allen, Baptist minister who organized and served many churches in the Pee Dee area 1838–1884. He represented Marion County in the S.C. General Assembly 1870–1872. His son, . . . — — Map (db m17839) HM|
|Originally in colonial Craven County, this area became part of Georgetown District, 1769; Liberty County, 1785; Marion District, 1798; and Marion County, 1868. The movement to separate this county from upper Marion County began some years before the . . . — — Map (db m24722) HM|
|First settler, first merchant, first mayor, first postmaster, chairman of first school board. Post Office in his store—20 feet north of this point. This memorial erected in 1990 by his family. — — Map (db m16821) HM|
|Founder of Dillon and Father of Dillon County. A man of firm convictions, gentle manners and generous impulses, who loved and believed his fellow man. A loyal citizen, a public benefactor, who gave freely of the fruits of a rich and resourceful mind . . . — — Map (db m24725) HM|
|This house was built in 1890 as the home of James W. Dillon, the father of Dillon County, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Purchased by the Dillon County Historical Society in 1967, it was moved to this site and restored as a . . . — — Map (db m24747) HM|
|This church, founded in
1892, built its first
sanctuary at West Main St.
and Third Ave., where the
Dillon County Courthouse
now stands. That lot was
donated by James W. Dillon
(1826–1913), for whom the
town and county are named.
The . . . — — Map (db m18513) HM|
|Duncan McIntire, a licensed minister who preached in Gaelic for those who could speak no other language, organized this Presbyterian congregation shortly before 1829. The present vernacular Gothic Revival structure was completed by 1851. A number of . . . — — Map (db m121862) HM|
| Town of Dillon.
Dillon was laid out by civil engineers of the Florence Railroad Company following a plan by John H. David, a local physician. The town was incorporated by the General Assembly on December 22, 1888, and its boundaries extended . . . — — Map (db m16826) HM|
|In 1792 Major William Ford built a dam at each end of Bear Swamp, creating a millpond and building a grist mill. This area was known as Ford’s Mill for many years. In 1870 Dr. C. T. Ford sold the property to his brother-in-law, Joseph N. Page, who . . . — — Map (db m27945) HM|
|On December 22, 1801, one acre on the north side of Bear Swamp was deeded for the use of the Baptist Society. Local tradition says that the meeting house which stood on this tract was built in 1780s and was used as a camp site by travelers between . . . — — Map (db m5084) HM|
|This Baptist Church, constituted in 1802, has ordained eleven ministers, provided a missionary to Brazil, and has assisted in establishing a number of other churches. The present house of worship, dedicated in 1883 with portico added in 1970, is on . . . — — Map (db m17815) HM|
|Built next door to his residence, this c. 1915 brick building served as the medical office of Dr. Henry Edwards, one of Latta's first physicians,[ Picture included] and subsequently the dentist office of his son Luther. [Picture included] Luther's . . . — — Map (db m45335) HM|
|Andrew Carnegie was born in Scotland in 1835 as the Industrial Revolution was sweeping across Great Britian. Seeking a better life his family arrived in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania while Andrew was a small child. From a bobbin boy in a cotton mill . . . — — Map (db m45146) HM|
|Following the War Between the States and during the Reconstruction Era southern railroads were in complete disarray. By the 1880s, through mergers and new investments, the "Golden Era of Railroads" emerged in the country and literally rolled into . . . — — Map (db m46255) HM|
Pine Hill A.M.E. Church
This church, founded in 1876, was in Marion County before Dillon County was created in 1910. At first on S.C. Hwy. 34, the church acquired this site in 1891 when Alfred Franklin Page (1863-1929) and . . . — — Map (db m48927) HM|
|In rural communities throughout the country, the local general store was the focal point of town activities. Not only did these stores serve to provide the necessities of life, they offered a gathering point for the exchange of information and more . . . — — Map (db m45600) HM|
Robert Earl Atkinson, Sr.
1899 - 1970
Co-founder of Dilmar Oil Company, Inc. in 1931 to sell Shell Oil products in Dillon and Marion Counties. In 1946 the Atkinson family became the sole owners of Dilmar. In 2010 Dilmar is . . . — — Map (db m46602) HM|
|The house was originally constructed by Daniel Washington Biggs and his business partner in the late 1880s. They owned a large sawmill in the area and needed a place to board northern lumber buyers visiting their mill. It operated as a boarding . . . — — Map (db m46093) HM|
|In 1911 W. C. Allen led a movement for a public library in Latta and was authorized by the town council to negotiate with Andrew Carnegie for funds. After the town complied with conditions set by Mr. Carnegie, he donated $5,000 and C. F. Bass of . . . — — Map (db m44749) HM|
| Herod W. Williams was concerned about the education of his children as were many parents in Latta. With the help of farm hands Allen constructed a one room school on his property. When the school opened in 1877 there were fifteen students who paid . . . — — Map (db m46692) HM|
|This church was established prior to 1803 and was known as Liberty Chapel. The present structure, built in 1871, is significant both for its architecture and as a reflection of Methodism in the Pee Dee area. A Victorian adaptation of the classic . . . — — Map (db m17842) HM|
|David Satterwhite was granted 177 acres here in 1789 by Charles Pinckney, Governor of S. C. In 1855 this tract passed into the hands of The Rev. James A. Cousar, who added a three acre tract in 1858 on which he built the present house, gin house and . . . — — Map (db m17841) HM|
|This cotton press, built in 1798 according to tradition, is thought by many to be the oldest in existence. It was first owned and used by John Bethea III, and later by Henry Berry. Powered by oxen or mules rotating the beam to tighten the press, it . . . — — Map (db m17773) HM|