Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Eaton County Michigan Historical Markers

 
1845 Eaton County Courthouse Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, August 6, 2018
1845 Eaton County Courthouse Marker
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1719 — 1845 Eaton County Courthouse
This building served as Eaton County's courthouse from 1846 to 1872. The first courthouse was built in Bellevue in the 1830s. In 1840, Charlotte became the county seat, and in 1844 the county supervisors voted to erect a new courthouse on the . . . — Map (db m126072) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1371 — Center Eaton United Methodist Church
On November 30, 1878, the local Methodist class purchased land for a church from Benjamin and Catherine Spotts for $25.00. Church men cut and hewed the logs for the building. The Reverend B. E. Paddock dedicated the church on November 10, 1881. . . . — Map (db m126010) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — S190 — Eaton County / Eaton County Courthouse Square
Eaton County Eaton County was organized in 1837 and named for President Andrew Jackson's war secretary, John H. Eaton. Pioneers had come to Bellevue, the first county seat, in 1833. The county was settled chiefly by New Englanders who . . . — Map (db m121314) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L187 — First Congregational Church of Charlotte
This handsome brick church was completed in 1881. Seven persons organized the congregation in 1851 in nearby Carmel Township. Moving to Charlotte the next year, they held services in the wooden courthouse and in 1856 built the city's first place of . . . — Map (db m121366) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — History of the Bennett Park Dam
The dam at Bennett Park was built around 1907 to provide cooling water for a stream generated water works facility. Additionally, it served as a local recreational attraction for many members of the community who would swim and fish here. The . . . — Map (db m126182) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2076 — Joseph & Mary Hall House
Local builder Nathan Johnson built this house around 1845 for Charlotte's first physician, Joseph P. Hall, and his wife, Mary. The house was moved from the business district to this site in 1868. Many professionals lived here, including . . . — Map (db m126029) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2154 — Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church
Side 1 Served for many years by circuit riding ministers, the Methodist congregation dates from 1838, making it Charlotte's oldest religious society. People worshipped at the home of Jonathan Searles, in a temporary courtroom in the Eagle . . . — Map (db m121387) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — S691 — Luren D. Dickinson / The "Country Capitol"
Luren D. Dickinson Michigan's thirty-seventh governor, Luren D. Dickinson (1859-1943), prided himself on being a frugal farmer. As a young man he taught school and served as principal of Potterville High School before becoming . . . — Map (db m125995) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — "Growing Progress"By Artist Thomas Sheering
Provided by the children of Victor J. and Rosella C. Huhn, in loving memory of their parents who were longtime Grand Ledge residents. The Huhn family started their journey in the United States much the same as a majority of immigrants by . . . — Map (db m125647) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — L1943 — Blake's Opera House
Constructed in 1884 as a roller skating rink, this building was purchased by Peter Blake and opened as Blake's Opera House in 1886. Here, audiences enjoyed talent shows, vaudeville, silent movies and athletic contests. Between 1928 and 1984, the . . . — Map (db m122824) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 9 — Bring Bricks Back to Nature
With over 40,000 bricks produced a day there were bound to be a few bad bricks. As you walk deeper into the wooded trails look closely at what appears to be hills of trees and vegetation. LOOK AGAIN - these hills are the remains of . . . — Map (db m122706) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — L593 — Fitzgerald Park
Migrant Indian tribes led by the famous Chief Okemos called this area "Big Rocks." They came here in early spring to tap the sugar maples. Later, the beauty of the ledges and woods attracted the Grand Ledge Spiritualist Camp Association which, in . . . — Map (db m122708) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — S511 — Governor Frank D. Fitzgerald Home
Governor Frank D. Fitzgerald Home Here lived Frank D. Fitzgerald who served his first term as governor 1935-36. His second term, starting in January 1939, was cut short by his death in this house in March of that year. Born in Grand Ledge . . . — Map (db m122729) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — Grand Ledge 1909
Look to your left and up to see the water tank built in 1909. There, an enterprising photographer took this photograph, perhaps the first aerial view of Grand Ledge. He captured a section of the Grand River where the north and south sides were . . . — Map (db m125656) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — L1644 — Grand Ledge Chair Company
Built in 1906 — Map (db m125646) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — Preston's Grocery - Preston's BarMichigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Preston's Grocery - Preston's Bar founded in 1914 for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m125591) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 4 — Quarrying and Carrying
The large pieces of shale rock that were dynamited from the quarry were carried up to the top of this hill by mining carts and dumped into the crusher which pulverized these 400 pound slabs into a dusty chalk which was sent down to the Pug Mill room . . . — Map (db m122657) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — Shane Jewelry CompanyMichigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Shane Jewelry Company founded in 1883 for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contributing to . . . — Map (db m122826) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 8 — The Old Boiler Room and Sand House
The structure in front of you was referred to by many of the workers as the old boiler room, being the original boiler room for the factory. Through changes in ownership and updating of equipment this building was turned into a storehouse once . . . — Map (db m122652) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 7 — Through Fire, Depression and War - The Legend Lives On
Although currently only a partial wall of this 300 foot kiln remains, this brick factory has withstood over a century of brick production through five separate owners, a fire which spread throughout the plant in 1927, the depression era of the . . . — Map (db m122705) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 3 — What's Buried Down Below?
Looking down hill from this area you may notice a pond. Once two types of shale were processed from this quarry and used for brick making. It was said that at one time this quarry was over 60 feet deep and that during the last years of operations . . . — Map (db m122653) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 2 — Where You are Standing Wasn't Always Woods
Looking at this wooded park it is hard to imagine that from 1914 to 1947 this area was cleared of trees and was the home of up to 11 buildings which made up a brick factory. The longest of which was the kiln reaching some 300 feet from this point . . . — Map (db m122660) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Grand Ledge — 6 — Why Lincoln Bricks Were Better
This building, known as the New Boiler room, was attached to a unit known as the gas producers. This gas was produced from coal. Producer gas was different from illuminating gases because no by-products such as smoke or coal tar were released. . . . — Map (db m122707) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Potterville — L1296 — The Potterville United Methodist Church
Side 1 The Potterville United Methodist Church was organized after the Reverend Hiram Nichols held a revival meeting in Potterville in 1867. The congregation appointed a building committee in 1875 and began work on the church in the spring . . . — Map (db m125966) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.