During the depression era of the 1930s the federal government initiated a number of work projects. Two of these, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Project Administration (WPA) were located at this site from 1933 until 1941. . . . — — Map (db m69568) HM
Professor of Botany at the University of Wisconsin. Noted ecologist and outstanding authority on the vegetation of Wisconsin. A founder of the Wisconsin State Board for the Preservation of Scientific Areas, and its first chairman, 1952-1955. — — Map (db m69569) HM
Towns like Boscobel developed along the Lower Wisconsin River as a result of the confluence of transportation networks.
[map of stagecoach routes between Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River]
In the 1830s and 1840s, . . . — — Map (db m47936) HM
With the growth of Boscobel as a shipping point for products from the region, a dependable crossing of the river became an economic necessity. The city was incorporated in 1864 so it could issue bonds for the construction of a bridge.
. . . — — Map (db m46758) HM
"And they stood every man in his place round about the camp." Judges 7:21
One night in September 1898 two salesmen, John H. Nicholson and Samuel E. Hill, shared room 19 in the Central Hotel, Boscobel. They wondered if some organization could . . . — — Map (db m43533) HM
Long before people came to what we now call Wisconsin, the Ice Age shaped the land.
The lower Wisconsin River Valley looks as it does today because the glaciers covering eastern and northern Wisconsin 10,000 years ago melted . . . — — Map (db m46757) HM
About 11,000 years ago, Native people moved into what is now Wisconsin. In the Chippewa [Ojibwe] language, Wisconsin means "gathering of the waters."
The Native American found a land of many possibilities. Animals such as mammoth, . . . — — Map (db m46772) HM
When Wisconsin Territory was established by Congress in 1836, more than a dozen communities eagerly sought to become the capital. Daniels, Denniston, and Company of New York offered this building free if Cassville were chosen. When the Legislature . . . — — Map (db m43565) HM
Cassville's first ferry, a 40-foot rowboat, crossed the Mississippi River in 1833. In 1836, the ferry carried a 23-year-old New Yorker named Nelson Dewey across the river. Dewey was lured to Cassville by its promise as the potential capital of the . . . — — Map (db m43673) HM
This Memorial is Dedicated to the Noble, the Proud, the Brave Thanks to Them, Our Country's Still Free and Our Stars and Stripes Still Wave
Dedicated to the Men and Women of the Cassville Area Who Served . . . — — Map (db m79958) WM
Cassville was named for Lewis B. Cass, governor of the Michigan Territory. The earliest mention of the present site was by Henry Schoolcraft in 1820. The settlement began in 1827 when a lead-smelting furnace and a government warehouse were erected . . . — — Map (db m43544) HM
Fennimore's narrow gauge train, affectionately known as the "Dinky," operated from 1878 to 1926, far longer than most 3-foot gauge lines in Wisconsin. At a nearby depot, standard and narrow-gauge trains exchanged their passengers and freight. Trains . . . — — Map (db m23570) HM
Late in 1831, when Wisconsin was still in Michigan Territory, Lucius Lyon, U. S. Commissioner on the survey of the northern boundary of the State of Illinois, set a post and erected a mound of earth 6 feet square at the base and 6 feet high, at a . . . — — Map (db m39020) HM
When Nelson Dewey left his parents' home at Hamilton, New York, at the age of 23, he traveled by stage coach, steamer, sailing vessel, horse-back, and on foot to reach Wisconsin. The trip took five weeks, and Dewey arrived in Cassville in June of . . . — — Map (db m21489) HM
In 1850, pioneer African-American families began arriving in this area when Charles and Caroline Shepard and Isaac and Sarah Shepard arrived from Fauquier County, Virginia. The Shepards came with William Horner, the great-nephew of their former . . . — — Map (db m23181) HM
In 1848, William Horner of Warren County, Virginia, and his former slaves, the Shepard family, hitched a team of oxen to wagons and ventured west to Wisconsin. They arrived at this point, later to be known as Pleasant Ridge.
The Shepards bought . . . — — Map (db m23182) HM
Popular subscription for this Civil War monument was started on September 16, 1862 and completed with public funds. The monument was dedicated on July 4, 1867 "and to the memory of the brave soldiers of Grant County who fell in defense of universal . . . — — Map (db m21488) HM
The Rock Church, originally part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, stands on land donated by a pioneer settler, Bosman Clifton, in memory of his daughter.
Construction began in 1851 and men and women alike, worked long and hard for several . . . — — Map (db m47089) HM
Wisconsin's first college devoted wholly to training teachers, the Platteville Normal School, opened here on October 9, 1866, in Rountree Hall, which since 1853 has housed its predecessor, the Platteville Academy. The Academy (1842-1866) had . . . — — Map (db m33681) HM
Settled in response to the discovery of lead ore in the area, the original Village of Platteville was platted in 1835. Designed around existing miners' diggings, and lead ore smelters, Platteville was patterned after English villages with narrow . . . — — Map (db m33132) HM
(from the memoirs of John H. Rountree): "During the fall of 1827 my partner and myself purchased a mineral prospect that had been discovered, by finding small pieces of lead mineral in the litter piles of dirt scratched out by the badger to make . . . — — Map (db m33280) HM
One of Wisconsin's earliest mining communities, Potosi was settled in 1829 after lead ore was found near St. John Mine. Named for the silver mining town of "Potosi" in Bolivia, South America, the village began as three separate settlements and . . . — — Map (db m119347) HM