Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Johnson County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Nancy Kerlin Barnett Marker image, Touch for more information
By Marc Tobolski, April 2, 2009
Nancy Kerlin Barnett Marker
Indiana (Johnson County), Amity — Nancy Kerlin BarnettBorn May 14, 1793 - Died Dec. 1, 1831
Married to William Barnett, Feb. 29, 1808. He was born Sept. 27, 1786, drowned in Ohio River Sept. 24, 1854. William was the great, great, great grandson of Pocahontas and John Rolfe. Daniel G. Doty, 1846 - 1934, protected his grandmother's grave by . . . — Map (db m18089) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Bargersville — Bargersville School
This is the site of the Bargersville School that opened in 1912 with 162 students as part of White River Township's Center Grove Schools. Students in grades 1-8 attended here until 1937. — Map (db m66835) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Bargersville — Two Cent Road and Three Notch Road
What once was a cow path became a muddy plank road later named the Two Cent Road for the toll charged. A gravel route, it angled southwest across Three Notch Road, a wilderness trail blazed by Indians who marked it slashing three . . . — Map (db m66741) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Edinburgh — Historical Blue River Township
Surveyed August 1820 by John Hendricks; Berry Trail, 1819; John Campbell Cabin, Edinburg, 1820; Elisha Adams Cabin, Amity, 1821; Mauxferry Road, 1823; Freeman Cemetery, 1823; Thompson Mills, 1825-1957; Hamner School and Cemetery, Amity, 1826; . . . — Map (db m66817) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Edinburgh — Thompson Mill
- - - - 1826 - - - - Built by James Thompson and Isaac Collier. 1850 - Thompson erected larger four-story brick mill. All flour used by Union Army during Civil War ground here. After a fire in 1872, John A. . . . — Map (db m66784) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Big SpringHopewell Community
In 1824, settler Simon Covert led Thomas Henderson to Big Spring. A church, school and cemetery were envisioned to the south. Henderson outwitted a man seeking this spring site for a whiskey distillery. His family, vanguard of anti-slavery . . . — Map (db m66766) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Big Spring
1831 - - - 1931 Big Spring Center of Hopewell Settlement This building erected by John Hoefgen, in memory of the early settlers, his Mother, Eliza Demott Hoefgen, and Uncle, Albert List, long an Elder in the . . . — Map (db m66768) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — 41.1992.1 — Birthplace of Paul Vories McNutt
McNutt, born July 19, 1891 at 200 N. Walnut, was Indiana's 33rd Governor (1933-1937), state and national American Legion Commander, I. U. Law School Dean, High Commissioner and first U.S. Ambassador to Philippine Republic. Died March 24, 1955; . . . — Map (db m66821) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — 41.2000.1 — Birthplace of Roger D. Branigin
As Indiana's 42nd governor 1965-1969, championed equal opportunity in education and housing. Earned degrees from Franklin College and Harvard University. Deputy prosecutor of Johnson and Brown counties 1926-1929. Practiced law in Franklin, . . . — Map (db m66820) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — First Cabin in Franklin
A two room log cabin was built on or near this site in March, 1823 by George King, by whose efforts Johnson County was authorized Dec. 31, 1822 and organized March 8, 1823. King donated land for the county seat and Franklin was founded May 22, 1823. . . . — Map (db m66838) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — First Fair in Johnson County
The fair was held in woods belonging to Garrett C. Bergen, November 1838. Entrance to grounds was from North Main Street. No admission was charged and no money paid out in premiums. June 23, 1884 this area became known as The Charity Denton Martin . . . — Map (db m69371) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Franklin
Founded in 1823, is the home of Franklin College, 1834 and the birthplace of two Indiana governors, Paul V. McNutt, 1891, at 599 E. Adams and Roger D. Branigin, 1902, at 205 Yandes. Johnson County Historical Museum at 150 W. Madison, Indiana Masonic . . . — Map (db m66837) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Franklin Township High School1904 - 1932
Franklin Township High School served this community as the first public school with grades one through twelve. Although fire destroyed the building in December 1932, fire did not destroy the burning desire for education that had been . . . — Map (db m66758) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Home of Columbus Horatio Hall
This plaque marks the site of the home of Columbus Horatio Hall 1846 - - - - - 1928 Famed Professor of Greek and Latin at Franklin College and upon two occasions its acting President, Columbus H. Hall was one of its most . . . — Map (db m66823) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Hopewell Academy 1855 to 1884
Education-minded Hopewell Presbyterian Church members opened a six-room coed academy to the east in 1855. John Covert led builders using whip-sawed timers. Only nails were bought. Academy literary societies flourished. Pre-Civil War, it . . . — Map (db m66744) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Johnson County Civil War Memorial
To Commemorate the Valor of the Soldiers of Johnson Co. In defense of the Union 1861 ———— 1865 — ∮— ( Relief ) — ∮— This fountain is erected by John T. . . . — Map (db m55608) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Johnson County Court Houses
1ST ~ Court held Smiley’s Mill, 5 miles S.E. of Franklin Oct. 16, 1823 2ND ~ George King home, Franklin, Indiana, March, 1824 3RD ~ North Main Street, Lot 35, Log, 2 stories, Oct., 1824 4TH ~ Brick, 2 stories, . . . — Map (db m55630) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Johnson County Museum of History
In 1922 members of the Franklin Masonic Lodge No. 107 broke ground on this neoclassical building that served as their Masonic Temple until 1987. The Johnson County Historical Society and the Johnson County government jointly purchased the temple in . . . — Map (db m69370) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Johnson County Revolutionary War Memorial
( Side One ) In Honor of All Revolutionary War Soldiers and Patriots Buried in Johnson County Erected July 2009 ( Side Two ) —∮— (D.A.R. - Crest) —∮— Alexander . . . — Map (db m55609) WM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Johnson County Spanish American War Honor Roll
( Plaque One ) —∮— ( Official Crest ) —∮— United ★Spanish ★ War ★ Veterans 1898 ★ 1902 —∮— —— —∮— —— . . . — Map (db m55611) WM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Johnson County War Memorial Honor Rolls
( Marker Front ) ( Center Section ) —∮— (The Great Seal) —∮— Dedicated to these Johnson County men who, in answering the call of duty, paid the Price of Freedom – (Seal) . . . — Map (db m55786) WM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Old Hopewell Academy
1855 - - - 1889 To commemorate the Ideals and Services of the Old Hopewell Academy and the faithful labors of the Teachers who here through many years brought to the youth of this community inspiration for life . . . — Map (db m66763) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — Province Hospital
1906 - ∮ - ∮ - ∮ - 1946 Built in 1906 First and only Hospital in Johnson County until after World War II (Second Plaque) To Honor the lineage of Family Physicians who have served here . . . — Map (db m69390) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — The Hopewell Flag
Site of presentation of an American Flag to Company F. 7th Indiana volunteer Infantry Regiment August 20, 1861. The 34-star flag, sewn by ladies of Hopewell Presbyterian Church, was received at a farewell picnic in a grove on the John H. Van Nuys . . . — Map (db m66782) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Greenwood — First Cabin in Greenwood
Greenwood was founded Sept. 30, 1823. The original land owners, who were descendants of Dutch immigrants, came from Mercer County, Kentucky. A log cabin was built on or near this site by John B. and Jane Brewer Smock. The first church (Presbyterian) . . . — Map (db m69294) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Greenwood — First Church, School and Cemetery
Presbyterians formed the first church in Greenwood on Dec. 31, 1825, and erected the first church building in Johnson County on or near this site in early 1826. The meeting house and surrounding cemetery occupied two acres of land that were donated . . . — Map (db m69295) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Greenwood — Glade-Dobbins Cemetery
By 1832 neighbors were using this site for family burials. October 31, 1851, Francis and Rachel Dobbins in consideration of $18 deeded to Hiram Henry, Bethany Presbyterian - Conrad McClain, Hurricane Baptist - Oliver Harbert, Rocklane . . . — Map (db m69327) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Greenwood — J. T. Polk Canning Co.
James T. And Laura B. Polk started what became the largest cannery west of Baltimore by first canning tomatoes on their kitchen stove in 1872. “Polk’s Best” brand of canned vegetables were sold world wide for many years. The huge factory . . . — Map (db m69313) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Greenwood — James T. and Laura Polk Community House
The Community House was erected as a memorial to James T. And Laura Polk by their son and daughter, Ralph Polk and Pearl Polk Dungan. It was dedicated as the center for many varied activities on Feb. 5, 1920. The building has contained the public . . . — Map (db m69310) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Greenwood — The Birthplace of Banking in Greenwood
The first bank, the Bank of Greenwood, was started in 1892 in a brick building that was built on this site by Grafton Johnson. It became the Greenwood Banking Co. In 1893 and was The First National Bank from 1906 to 1930, when the banking firm moved . . . — Map (db m69316) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Greenwood — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Honor and Sacrifice of Our men and women who Served our Country They Gave their Today for our Tomorrow (American Legion - - Crest)Map (db m69322) WM
Indiana (Johnson County), New Whiteland — Proctor ParkJoseph E. Proctor
Joseph E. Proctor SGT US Army Killed in action May 3, 2006 Awarded Silver Star Tammin, Iraq WCHS Graduate 1987 When I first arrived on the scene 15 minutes after the blast, a lightly wounded Iraqi approached me and told me . . . — Map (db m69369) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Nineveh — 41.2010.1 — William Merritt Chase
(Front Side) Prolific artist who helped develop and promote a style internationally recognized as distinctly American. Born 1849 near here; studied art in Indianapolis, New York, and Munich. Returned to New York in 1878; opened lavish . . . — Map (db m66832) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Providence — Providence
Laid out October 31, 1835, as Union Village, Willis Deer and Corbin Utterback, proprietors. Town originated from an early trading point. Providence P. O. Established on June 17, 1880. — Map (db m66743) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Whiteland — Whetzel Trace
Jacob Whetzel’s 1818 Trace from Laurel on Whitewater to White River, and the Madison Trail crossed near here. Here Whetzel made camp while cutting the Trace. In 1822 Daniel Loper built the first cabin in Clark Township here. — Map (db m69355) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.