Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lincoln County South Dakota Historical Markers

 
Augustana – The School on Wheels Marker image, Touch for more information
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, September 1, 2018
Augustana – The School on Wheels Marker
South Dakota (Lincoln County), Canton — Augustana – The School on Wheels
Side 1 Augustana was founded as Augustana Seminary in Chicago in 1860 by the Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod. The school's purpose was "to educate young men for the holy ministry in the Lutheran church . . . (and) to . . . — Map (db m122912) HM
South Dakota (Lincoln County), Canton — Canton
First appeared on maps as Commerce City 1866. Its first postmaster was Benjamin Hill, appointed 14 May 1868. First settler here, L.P. Hyde, 1861. Cuppett, Hewit, & Rea built a blockhouse spring 1868 where Court House now stands. County organized 30 . . . — Map (db m118956) HM
South Dakota (Lincoln County), Canton — Hiawatha Asylum for Insane Indians
Receiving Congressional appropriations in 1899, the Hiawatha Asylum for Insane Indians was the second federal mental hospital and the first dedicated to American Indians. The first patient arrived in 1902, and through 1934, more than 370 . . . — Map (db m122910) HM
South Dakota (Lincoln County), Canton — The Canton Ski Hill
A 60 foot ski jump tower stood on the river bluff directly south of this sign. Constructed in 1912 at the urging of Norwegian ski jumpers visiting Canton's Augustana College, it soon became widely popular for the tournaments held by the Sioux . . . — Map (db m122908) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.