Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

McKean County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
St. Mary's Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2012
St. Mary's Church Marker
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Annin — Saint Mary's Church
Parish organized 1847 at Sartwell in the "Irish Settlement," originally formed 1842-60. Log church built 1848; present one completed 1871. Resident pastor long served Roman Catholics throughout McKean and Potter counties, and this was the "mother . . . — Map (db m59153) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Bradford — Bradford Oil Refinery
One of the oldest refineries in continuous production in the United States was founded near here in 1881 by pioneer independent oilmen Robert Childs, Eli Loomis, and William Willis. The original refining capacity was 10 barrels a day. One-hundred . . . — Map (db m59134) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Bradford — Holley Motor Company
The acclaimed performance carburetor maker began here in 1899. The innovative carburetor on George and Earl Holley’s Motorette car gained the attention of Henry Ford. Soon specializing in this technology, they supplied Ford, and later the aircraft . . . — Map (db m59135) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Coryville — Tidewater Pipe Company
Opposite here was station no.1 of the first pipe line to carry oil across the Alleghenies. Built by an early competitor of Standard Oil, it began May 28, 1879, to pump oil 109 miles to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. — Map (db m59155) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Kane — Dr. Edward H. McCleery(1867-1962)
A medical doctor by profession, McCleery established a wolf park nearby to breed and care for lobo wolves, a subspecies of gray wolf. Subject to a 1920s elimination program, this wolf was saved from extinction through his efforts. The park served as . . . — Map (db m96051) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Kane — Seneca Spring
The spring, 200 yards southwest of here, was a stopping place on the ancient Indian trail which crossed the Big Level on the way south. The trail was once the main route from Onondaga, the Iroquois capital, to the Ohio and the Carolinas. — Map (db m59151) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Kane — Thomas L. Kane
Commander of the Civil war "Bucktail Regiment" and founder of the borough of Kane. Breveted Major General in 1863. A friend of Brigham Young and staunch supporter of the Mormon pioneers. He died, 1883, and was buried at this chapel, built at his . . . — Map (db m59154) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Mount Jewett — Commerce to Collapse
As the tallest and longest bridge of its time, the Kinzua Viaduct embodied the spirit of the industrial revolution. Cargo and sightseers rumbled across the viaduct for 120 years until an F1 tornado toppled the viaduct in 2003. Today, a skywalk and . . . — Map (db m104941) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Mount Jewett — Forces of Nature
A DCNR inspection in 2002 deemed the viaduct unsafe and it was closed to all traffic. Restoration work was well underway when, on July 21, 2003, severe weather sent the crew scrambling for shelter. Just after 3:15 p.m., an F1 tornado hit Kinzua . . . — Map (db m104938) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Mount Jewett — Kinzua BridgeThe Life, Death and Renewal
An Engineering and Historical Marvel. The need to transport coal, oil and lumber across the Kinzua Valley inspired General Thomas Kane, president of the New York, Lake Erie and Western railroad and Coal Company, and Octave Chanute, chief . . . — Map (db m104920) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Mount Jewett — Kinzua Viaduct
Originally begun in 1881 for the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad to ship coal, lumber, and oil, it was once the world’s highest and longest rail viaduct. Rebuilt in 1900 to carry heavier loads, it was in service until 1959. Kinzua Bridge . . . — Map (db m51329) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Mount Jewett — Nebo Lutheran Chapel and Cemetery
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Nebo Church was in 1886 as the first Lutheran Congregational in the Mount Jewett area. The octagonal shaped church was built in 1887 and was patterned after Ersta Kyrka at Danviken, near Stockholm, Sweden. The name . . . — Map (db m83706) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Port Allegany — Port Allegany
Travel point since pioneer days, when travelers coming overland from the Susquehanna continued by water from "Canoe Place". The town grew as a center of lumber and tanning industry. Its descriptive present name came into use about 1840. — Map (db m39887) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Port Allegany — Port Allegany
Travel point since pioneer days, when travelers coming overland from the Susquehanna continued by water from "Canoe Place." The town grew as a center of lumber and tanning industry. Its descriptive present name came into use about 1840 — Map (db m78699) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Port Allegheny — Allegheny Portage
The 23-mile crossing from Susquehanna West Branch to the Allegheny River followed Portage Creek to a "canoe place" near this point. From here Indians and pioneers continued on their way by boat down the Allegheny River. — Map (db m59133) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Rixford — Rixford World War I Memorial
Rixford Service Roll In honor of those who served in the World War 1914-1918 Lowell L. Andrus Lee Frank Baker Kenneth Burdic George Burdic Bertram P. Brown Lawrence C. Cotton Lawrence N. Goodell Ray W. Hunt Robert E. . . . — Map (db m87408) WM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Shinglehouse — Ceres
One mile south of here the first permanent white settlement in present McKean County was made in 1798 by Francis King, agent and surveyor for the John Keating land company of Philadelphia. — Map (db m65541) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Smethport — "The Bucktails"
At the call of Colonel Thomas L. Kane, 100 Civil War volunteers assembled here on April 24, 1861, to go to Harrisburg. Tails of buck deer, worn as distinctive insignia, provided the name of the famed 42d Regiment, of which they were the core. — Map (db m39884) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Smethport — McKean County
Formed March 26, 1804 out of Lycoming County. Named for Governor Thomas McKean. Smethport, the county seat, was incorporated 1853; here the "Bucktails," famed Civil War regiment, assembled in 1861. Oil, gas and lumber spurred the county's early . . . — Map (db m39885) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Smethport — Smethport
County seat for McKean County since 1807, when land agent Francis King surveyed town lots. The first cabin was built in 1811 by Arnold Hunter; but permanent settlement was delayed until 1822. First courthouse built in 1827. — Map (db m59132) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Turtlepoint — Mount Equity Plantation
Governor Thomas McKean, for whom the county was named, purchased here, in 1805, a 299-acre tract. Its name derived from the fact that the purchase was made in part to give Pennsylvania equity of power in lands settled by Connecticut. — Map (db m59142) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Wrights — Port Allegany, PA"Canoe Place"
Junction of Tioga and Shamokin War Trails. Indians coming over the great divide camped here and made new canoes. Again embarking westward down The Allegewe No white man was allowed on these trails till about 1750. An Important Rafting Center . . . — Map (db m83705) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.