Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Tarver's Mill Marker with Lewis Lake Restaurant in background. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, April 30, 2017
Tarver's Mill Marker with Lewis Lake Restaurant in background.
Georgia (Washington County), Bartow — Tarver's Mill"...sacks of cornmeal, all rapidly 'acquired'..." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Union Major General William T. Sherman and the 17th Corps of his army's "Right Wing" left their encampment at New Hope Methodist Church on Tuesday morning, November 29, 1864. They marched generally southeast toward Tarver Place, Plantation. Their . . . — Map (db m103357) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Davisboro — 150-17 — Fenn's Bridge
On Nov. 27, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved from Sandersville toward Louisville on its destructive March to the Sea. The 20th Corps (Williams) and Carlin’s division, 14th Corps (Davis), moved to Davisboro . . . — Map (db m38008) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Davisboro — R15 — New Hope Methodist Church"We camp by side of...a neat frame church" — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
New Hope is the oldest Methodist Church still in existence in Washington County. Its early written church records are lost, but oral history relates that New Hope's original structure was built in the late 1700s. It was a one-room building with a . . . — Map (db m103249) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Davisboro — 150-16 — Sherman's Left Wing
On Nov. 27, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved from Sandersville toward Louisville. Ward’s division, 20th Corps, and Carlin’s division, 14th Corps, with the artillery and trains of both corps, moved to . . . — Map (db m49508) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Deepstep — Giles Cross Roads
In 1805, this site was settled by the family of Alexander Giles (1793-1873) who moved from Warren County to Washington County after the Creek Indian Cessation. The farm’s borders were Bluff Creek and Indian Trail Road, a high ridge trail used for . . . — Map (db m38521) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Oconee — 158-11 — Ball's Ferry
On Nov. 23, 1864, Maj. Gen. H. C. Wayne, Adj. Gen. of Georgia, was in Oconee (No. 14, CRR), 10 miles N. with a mixed force [Confederate] of 1200 men and 6 guns (including the Corps of Cadets, Georgia Military Institute) to defend the RR bridge over . . . — Map (db m107287) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Oconee — 150-8 — Jefferson Davis
On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (85 miles N), where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed . . . — Map (db m41411) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Oconee — 150-12 — Sherman's Right Wing
On Nov. 26, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army [US], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, crossed the Oconee River at Ball’s Ferry (O.4 mi. N of Ga 57). The 17th Corps (Blair), . . . — Map (db m35498) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Oconee — 150-18 — The Defense of the Oconee Bridge
On Nov. 19, 1854, Maj. A. L. Hartridge, CSA, arrived from Savannah with 186 men and 2 guns [CS] to defend the railroad bridge against raiding parties from Gen. Sherman’s army [US], then on its destructive March to the Sea. Next day, he was joined by . . . — Map (db m35456) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Riddleville — 150-10 — Historic Highways
This highway is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below Milledgeville, along the course of a former trading path to the Creek Indians. The lower . . . — Map (db m21254) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Riddleville — 150-3 — Riddleville
In this locality was one of the four academies of Washington County authorized by the State of Georgia and known as the Riddleville Academy. Mr. Anderson Riddle, a prominent citizen of the community and an ardent advocate of education, learning of . . . — Map (db m21256) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — David A. Gordon1866-1947 — Educator
For over 60 years this outstanding Negro was an entrepreneurial, educational, religious, and political leader in Washington County. On this site in 1897 he founded the Royal School for young Negro children. — Map (db m24439) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 20 — Deepstep United Methodist Church1805
Traces its beginning to a Methodist Society held at home of pioneer William Hicklin around 1805, and the 1825 Hicklin Meeting House Roll with 32 members recorded by Rev. Tillman Snead, early Methodist Pastor. First deed found in 1831 settlement of . . . — Map (db m38681) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 150-9 — Governor Thomas W. Hardwick
Governor Thomas William Hardwick, lawyer and statesman, spent most of his life in this city. Born in Thomasville, Dec. 9, 1872, he graduated from Mercer in 1892 and from Lumpkin Law School, U. of Ga., in ‘93, in which year he was admitted to the . . . — Map (db m24746) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 150-11 — Jefferson Davis
On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (68 miles N), where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed . . . — Map (db m24785) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 150-5 — Masonic Temple
A beautiful reproduction of the Greek Temple Athene, erected in 1855-56 for the Masons, of brick, hand-made by slaves, stood on this corner. An appeal by Mr. James D. Anthony and Dr. James R. Smith -- Methodist Ministers -- and Mr. Pincus Happ, . . . — Map (db m24677) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Old City Cemeteryc. 1831
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m24749) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Pvt. Willie Lee Duckworth Sr.1924 — 2004
In 1944, at Ft. Slocum, N.Y., Duckworth, an ordinary buck private from Sandersville, Georgia, authored one of the most popular marching cadences in military history. At first, it was known as the "Duckworth Chant." It later gained fame as . . . — Map (db m103232) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 11 — Rev. J. D. Anthony — 1824 ~ 1899
James Danelly Anthony entered the Methodist ministry at the 1847 Georgia Conference and after 50 years of service retired in 1897. He had 12 different charges and was 4 times Presiding elder for separate districts, one being the Sandersville . . . — Map (db m24763) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Saunder’s Store
The present site of the building, which stands on the corner of South Harris Street and West Haynes Street, was the location of Mr. Mark Sander’s store at the crossing of roads. On December 19, 1793, the Legislature of Georgia authorized that a . . . — Map (db m24756) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — L18 — The Brown HouseA Bed and a Meal for General Sherman — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
The Brown House was built about 1850 by Nathan Haynes. It was purchased by merchant and planter William Gainer Brown about 1851. During the 1850s portraits of William and Miriah Brown were painted by an itinerant artist for $75 plus room and board. . . . — Map (db m103238) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 150-15 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 24, 1864, the Left Wing of Gen. Sherman’s army [US], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, crossed the Oconee River at Milledgeville enroute to Sandersville. On the 26th, after delays caused by destruction . . . — Map (db m24443) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 150-1 — Washington County Courthouse
Washington, Georgia’s ninth county and first in the nation to be named for George Washington, was created in 1784 for granting land to soldiers for Revolutionary War services. Court House Square, located on the old stage coach road from . . . — Map (db m24690) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — L17 — Washington County Courthouse"We had fought for the town and it was our plunder." — Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail
On Thursday, November 24, 1864, the 14th and 20th Corps of Union Major General William T. Sherman's army began entering Washington County. By November 26th the 28,000 soldiers of the two corps arrived in Sandersville, marching on separate roads . . . — Map (db m103235) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County Korean Monument
. . . — Map (db m103233) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County Korean War Memorial
Dedicated to the Men and Women of Washington County who served our country with honor during the Korean War June 27, 1950 January 31, 1955 {Honor Roll on Left and right panels of those who . . . — Map (db m103379) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County Viet Nam War Monument
. . . — Map (db m103377) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County World War I Monument
In Sacred Memory of the men of Washington County who made the supreme sacrifice in World War I Carroll William Deal Claude Louis Deal Julius Hartley Abbie Lee Johnson Lewis Cheatham Newsom Wilbur Stuart Sewell Sr. William . . . — Map (db m103385) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County World War II Memorial
In Grateful Tribute to The Men and Women of Washington County Who Served in The Armed Forces Of Our Country in World War II — Map (db m103387) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County World War II MonumentsWoodmen of the World Memorials
In Sacred Memory of the men of Washington County who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II {Honor Roll of the War Dead}Map (db m103388) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — Colby Smith
(Front): Colby Smith, a Revolutionary War soldier who was prominent in America’s War of Independence settled in the 89th District in 1798 and was granted property by the Governor of Georgia in Honor of his service to America. He, his . . . — Map (db m21300) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — 150-18B — Irwin’s Crossroad
On Nov. 26, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, crossed the Oconee River at Ball’s Ferry (9 miles SW), on pontoon bridges, after two days of . . . — Map (db m35509) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — 150-20 — Jared Irwin(c.1750~1818)
Jared Irwin, Statesman and twice Governor of Georgia, moved from Mecklenburg Country, N.C to Burke County, Ga. as a child. Commissioned a brigadier general during the Revolutionary War, he distinguished himself following the War as an Indian . . . — Map (db m35502) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — 150-19 — Sherman and Hardee at Tennille
Late on Nov. 24, 1864, Lieut. Gen. Wm J. Hardee CSA, arrived in Tennille to consult with Maj. Gen. H.C. Wayne, Adj. Gen. of Georgia as to the advisability of further resistance along the line of the Oconee River, already reached by Gen. Sherman’s . . . — Map (db m25268) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — 150-2 — Tennille
Tennille, the highest point, on the Central of Georgia Railroad, between Macon and Savannah, named for a public spirited citizen, Mr. Francis Tennille, was called for a number of years, Station No. 13. The land for the Right of Way, which made the . . . — Map (db m25267) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — L19 — Tennille StationSherman's "Wings" Converge — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Tennille was founded in 1837 as Franklinville for Sam O. Franklin who gave land for the railroad's right-of-way and the town's creation. Its name was changed in 1842 after a prominent local citizen, Francis Tennille. The following year Tennille also . . . — Map (db m103239) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Warthen — 150-6 — President Jefferson Davis
Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America and party camped near here in a wooded area, when trying to reach Mobile, in his flight from Federal Soldiers. The party, on horseback, stopped at Warthen’s Store to purchase food . . . — Map (db m24361) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Warthen — Site of First Washington County Jail
Erected 1783, of logs Aaron Burr incarcerated here 1807, en route to trial for treason Placed by Governor Jared Irwin Chapter, D.A.R. — Map (db m24396) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Warthen — 150-4 — Warthen
Washington County, which once embraced all the territory from the Cherokee corner North, from the Ogeechee to the Oconee and the Liberty on the South, was surveyed in 1784. Soon the small settlement known as Warthen’s Store was designated as the . . . — Map (db m24393) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.