As a reminder of their homelands, people brought familiar plants to Columbia during the gold rush and in the years that followed. The plants were used to establish family gardens and orchards, providing seasonal vegetables and fruits, and . . . — — Map (db m53279) HM
Columbia was a boomtown.
The discovery of gold in 1850 attracted thousands of miners here. As more people arrived, the demand for goods, services and entertainment soared.
In the gold rush, Columbia stores and other businesses thrived. . . . — — Map (db m53301) HM
After the 1857 Fire, many generations of immigrants made this modest structure their family home. The new tenants applied their special touches, redecorating or expanding it to suit their needs. At times, they saved money by using salvaged materials . . . — — Map (db m64896) HM
This building was built in 1856 by Charles Alberding and has a predominant history as a saloon. Over time different business owners created new names for the building including: Alberding Saloon, Pioneer Saloon, Oyster Saloon, Saint Charles Saloon, . . . — — Map (db m77952) HM
Charles Crist Kress died Oct. 10, 1913. Age 84, Native of Alsage-Lorraine. He spoke five languages , a veteran of the Crimean War, married in New York, came around the Horn to San Francisco. He owned a baker shop on Kearny St. In 1863 he bought 160 . . . — — Map (db m12988) HM
Shortly after the fire of August, 1857, this one-story brick structure was built by three Frenchmen; L. Claverie, Charles Meysan, and Victor Pinchard. After their partnership dissolved in 1861, Meysan owned the building until 1869. He sold it to Sun . . . — — Map (db m53300) HM
One of the best preserved of early mining towns and known as “Gem of Southern Mines”. Gold discovered through cloudburst 1850. Population grew to 6000 in six weeks.
Governor Earl Warren signed bill at Columbia July 15, 1945, creating . . . — — Map (db m53277) HM
Columbia, the “gem of the southern mines,” became a town of 4000 to 5000 in the 1850s, following the discovery of gold here by the Hildreth party March 27, 1850. Gold shipments, estimated at $87,000,000, declined rapidly after 1858 but . . . — — Map (db m81870) HM
Prior to the mining in Columbia, the cemetery was located northwest of main street. In 1855 it was moved here, joining the existing Masonic and I.O.O.F. cemeteries. Ordinance #14, passed and approved on July 1, 1857, declared this ground to be a . . . — — Map (db m8565) HM
This Masonic Cemetery has been in continuous use since 1853. Many Masons buried here were gold miners and soldiers. Wives and children of Masons are also interred here. Some are known only to God.
"Soft and safe to thee, my brother, by thy resting . . . — — Map (db m12990) HM
In early 1860 the school lot was purchased, building plans selected, and the cornerstone laid. By fall the building was completed by a Mr. Donegan at a total cost of $4898. Dedication ceremonies were held, as was a grand calico party to raise money . . . — — Map (db m8562) HM
This wood frame building is a reproduction of a miners’ boarding house that stood on this site and was destroyed in the fire of July 10, 1854. Rebuilt, it was destroyed again in the fire of August 25, 1857.
A third building burned in 1861 and the . . . — — Map (db m53299) HM
Established by Charles Maisson and a group of French goldseekers in 1851. Gold discovered in nearby Long Gulch in that year. At one time 300 miners lived here and traded at store, ruins of which are west of this monument. Regular pack trains brought . . . — — Map (db m64895) HM
The inspiration to revive the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, a benevolent society prominent in Gold Rush days, occurred fifty years ago to Carl I. Wheat as he traveled from Columbia down to Parrots Ferry on the Stanislaus River. ECV . . . — — Map (db m53303) HM
Here on November 29, 1858, was held the celebration in honor of the completion of the Columbia and Stanislaus River Water Company's ditch, which brought water from the north fork of the Stanislaus River to Columbia. James Wood Coffroth, attorney, . . . — — Map (db m25649) HM
Stopping place of packers carrying supplies to miners. Often 200 jackasses on hill over night furnishing concert suggesting name “Jackass Hill”. Very coarse gold found here. $10,000 taken from 100 square feed of ground. Quartz found . . . — — Map (db m6861) HM
Replica, with original chimney and fireplace. Here on Jackass Hill, young Mark Twain, while guest of Gillis Brothers, 1864-65, gathered material for "Jumping Frog of Calaveras", which first brought him fame, and for "Roughing It". — — Map (db m53262) HM
[Seal of Rotary International]
This cabin was first built in 1922 to commemorate the famed author’s presence in Tuolumne County during the winter of 1864-65. Sam Clemens had come over the mountains from Virginia City, Nevada, to San . . . — — Map (db m53327) HM
This monitor used by Louis Dondero Yankee Hill Mining and Gravel 1873 produced one million dollars in gold annually. Largest monitor in Southern Mines. Hydraulic mining was prohibited by legislature in 1906.
Dedicated October 28, 1967
Re-dedicated . . . — — Map (db m53278) HM
While they were crossing the plains with their families, five hundred Mormon men were inducted into the United States Army in July, 1846 to aid in the war against Mexico in California. The Mormon Battalion marched 2,000 miles from Council Bluffs, . . . — — Map (db m6842) HM
Site of ferry crossing established 1860 by Thomas H. Parrott connecting mining towns of Tuttletown and Vallecito. Ferry in operation until 1903 when first bridge built. Ferry boat of flat bottom wooden construction propelled on heavy cables. Cable . . . — — Map (db m6839) HM
In 1856 Prosper Rocher constructed Columbia's second brewery located one-half mile east of town on the north side of Yankee Hill Road. Rocher, a French physician, was first partners with Anton Bixel in the Columbia Brewery on Italian Bar Road. . . . — — Map (db m8590) HM
Name derived from two sawmills erected here to supply mining timbers early 1850’s. Population at one time 1000. Rich in pocket gold in heyday. Mining camp of Mexican woman, Doña Elisa Martinez, at north end of flat, reported to have been hideout of . . . — — Map (db m6809) HM
Armed with pickaxes,shovels and powerful jets of water miners, removed massive amounts of dirt and gravel to expose the marble limestone formations you see here today. Deep open-pit mines once extended for miles east and south of Columbia. . . . — — Map (db m53306) HM
The firm of Donnell & Parsons built Columbia’s first brick building at this corner in April of 1853, a general store which carried a wide range of merchandise and provisions. The building survived a big fire in July, 1854 but was badly damaged by a . . . — — Map (db m53298) HM
Springfield received name from abundant springs gushing from limestone boulders. Town with its stores, shops and hotel, built around plaza. Once boasted 2,000 inhabitants. Believed founded by Donna Josefa Valmesada, Mexican woman of means with . . . — — Map (db m6810) HM
Springfield was founded in 1850 with up to 2000 inhabitants. Its downfall soon commenced, however, owing, in great part, to the foreign miner’s tax.
This cemetery, located on a hill above the town, was first used in 1852 and the last burial was . . . — — Map (db m72195) HM
This building was built as Madame Louis' French Laundry in 1856. The area to the right has remained a garden since 1852. In 1976 Grace Burns deeded as a gift cabin to U.O.P. which had used the property since 1952. State purchased it in 1991. — — Map (db m62023) HM
Early day stopping place for men and mounts. Named for Judge Anson A. H. Tuttle who built first log cabin here in 1848. Stones used in this base from old Swerer Store built in 1854, remains of which still exist, 1949. Mark Twain traded here. . . . — — Map (db m6843) HM
Every aspect of Columbia’sdevelopment depended on water. Without it, mining could not continue and the town could have died. In the early days of Columbia, fights broke out because of the short supply of water. To resolve the problem (and make . . . — — Map (db m53296) HM
At this historical site in 1850, over 3,000 prospectors worked. Over 10 million Dollars in Gold was extracted from Italian Bar & nearby “diggins”.
It is now private property owned by The Lost Dutchman’s Mining Association.
No . . . — — Map (db m58875) HM
James Wilson, a Norwegian immigrant shoemaker, purchased the property and brick building to the right in 1869. The brick building housed his shop; living quarters were in the rear. Wilson died in 1876, leaving his widow, Rose, and 8 children. This . . . — — Map (db m53297) HM