Founding officer, Co. D, Texas Rangers.
Had uncles, brother, sons in Rangers and Border Patrol.
Wilson County deputy sheriff, 1896-1900; sheriff, 1902-1917.
While in office reared his family in the jailer's quarters.
Always was armed. A . . . — — Map (db m118698) HM
Predates church built 1732 by colonists who arrived 1731, led by Juan Leal Goras. They farmed and raised stock. Their villa, San Fernando, was first municipality in Texas.
Among unmarked graves is that of flamboyant Dona Maria Cavillo. . . . — — Map (db m77412) HM
When this county was created in 1860 by the Eighth Texas Legislature, it was named for Texas patriot James Charles Wilson. A native of England, Wilson (1818-1861) left his homeland in 1836 and by 1839 had settled in Brazoria County, Texas. He . . . — — Map (db m117637) HM
Community in an area known by 1720 as land of the Cayopines, a Coahuiltecan Indian tribe. The site was important to Spanish missions of San Antonio, since here along the river their herds were pastured. For the herdsmen, adobe huts were built. After . . . — — Map (db m77421) HM
The Flores de Abrego family came to the New World from northern Spain before the time of the American Revolution. During the 18th century, members of this family brought their cattle northward and established ranches along the San Antonio River. . . . — — Map (db m118697) HM
A fortified visita of Mission Espada, founded 1731 in San Antonio. Situated near Paso de las Mujeres ("Crossing of the Women"), an important ford on the San Antonio River, known to most parties obliged to travel between Mexico and San Antonio. . . . — — Map (db m77409) HM
Created February 13, 1860
Organized August 6, 1860
Named in honor of
James Charles Wilson
1816 – 1861
Member of the Mier Expedition
District Clerk of Brazoria County, 1844
Senator from Matagorda County
Floresville, . . . — — Map (db m117636) HM
Constructed in 1884, this courthouse replaced one built soon after Floresville was chosen Wilson County seat in 1871. Designed by noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this Italianate structure was constructed of bricks made in a local . . . — — Map (db m118723) HM