Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Groton, Connecticut Historical Markers

 
Avery Memorial Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, June 26, 2007
Avery Memorial Marker
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Avery Memorial
[West Side of Marker Stone] This memorial marks the site of the home built in 1656 by Captain James Avery the founder of the family now known as the Groton Averys. This Hive of the Averys was owned and occupied by its . . . — Map (db m28169) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Civil War Memorial
Erected by Robert A. Gray and dedicated to the memory of his brave comrades who offered their lives for their country in the War of 1861 – 1865 — Map (db m20044) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Col. William Ledyard
On this spot Col. William Ledyard fell by his own sword in the hands of a British officer to whom he had surrendered in the massacre of Fort Griswold, Sept. 6, 1781. — Map (db m18048) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Covered Way
A pathway between the fort and the lower battery where soldiers using it were under cover from enemy gunfire. — Map (db m19053) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Death of Major William Montgomery
The death of Major William Montgomery while leading the British attack on the Fort at this point. Sept. 6th 1781 — Map (db m18049) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Defenders of Fort Griswold • Sept • 6th 1781 •
British Officer - “Who commands this fort ” Colonel Ledyard – “I did sir, but you do now ” Killed – Lieut. Col. William Ledyard, Commanding Capt. Elijah Avery • Capt. Elisha Avery • Lieut. . . . — Map (db m19584) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Groton
As part of New London Plantation, Groton was settled in 1646 by John Winthrop, the younger, and a band of Puritans from Massachusetts. The town separated from New London in 1705, and was named for the Winthrop manor in England. One of the last . . . — Map (db m66439) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Groton Battle Monument
The monument was erected under the patronage of the State of Connecticut, A. D. 1830, and in the 55th year of the Independence of the U. S. A. in memory of the brave Patriots, who fell in the Massacre at Fort Griswold, near this spot, on the 6th of . . . — Map (db m18050) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Patriot Prisoners
In honor of the 38 Patriots who were carried as prisoners in boats to New York from this shore after the Battle of Groton Heights September 6, 1781 — Map (db m18053) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Powder Magazine
Built in 1843 for the storage of gun Powder — Map (db m19055) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Shot Furnace
Built in 1843 – To heat cannon balls to set wooden vessels aflame when struck — Map (db m19054) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Site of Ye Ebenezer Avery House
Shelterwas afforded our wounded and dying soldiers within this house after the massacre at Ft. Griswold Sept. 6, 1781 Moved in 1971 to Ft. Griswold State Battlefield Park — Map (db m19050) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Spanish Flagship Gun
This gun was taken from the wreck of Admiral Cervera's flagship Maria Theresa which fired the first shot July 3, 1898 as she steamed from Santiago Harbor. — Map (db m19057) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — The Battle of Groton Heights — Stabilization and Preservation of Fort Griswold — Phase 1
On the morning of September 6, 1781, a British fleet under the command of former American general Benedict Arnold appeared at the mouth of the Thames River. Arnold’s mission was to destroy American privateers in New London and to capture military . . . — Map (db m19038) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — The Construction of Fort Griswold — Stabilization and Preservation of Fort Griswold — Phase 1
In November 1775, Colonel Jedeiah Elderkin was directed by the Governor and the Council of Safety “to view the circumstances of the harbor at New London and neighboring places, and consider of the most proper place and manner of fortifying the . . . — Map (db m19041) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — U.S. Submarine Memorial
To perpetuate the memory of those gallant shipmates who gave their lives during World War II. Dedicated by U.S. Submarine Veterans of World War II.

U.S. Submarines still on their last patrol.

Sealion SS195 December 10, 1941; S-36 SS141 . . . — Map (db m104650) WM

Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Wall of Honor — U.S. Submarine Memorial
In grateful memory of these submariners who died in the service of their country during World War II. They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die so that freedom might live. Their final resting places are known only to the . . . — Map (db m104652) WM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Ye Ebenezer Avery House
Shelter was afforded our wounded & dying soldiers within this house, after the massacre at Fort Griswold, Sept. 6, 1781. — Map (db m19046) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement