Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Trenton, New Jersey Historical Markers

 
A Revolutionary War era map of Trenton, image, Touch for more information
By Gary Nigh, December 2007
A Revolutionary War era map of Trenton,
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — “… a Town laid out called Lamberton …” [1773]
        Historically, Lamberton was the loose-knit fishing village and port that extended along the left bank of the Delaware River from Ferry Street to Riverview Cemetery. The heart of the community lay between Landing and Lalor Streets, exactly . . . — Map (db m4389) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — “The Whole Art, Secret and Mystery of Manufacturing Sturgeon”
For several thousand years the waters of the Delaware River supplied fish to Native Americans living along the riverbank. Colonial Immigrants and modern Americans followed suit, catching fish for their own local consumption and for sale in domestic . . . — Map (db m4394) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — “Trenton Ready for War …….”
Trenton contributed mightily to the national war effort in World War I and World War II, mobilizing men and women to fight and to sustain those doing the fighting, and stepping up production in those factories providing materials critical to the . . . — Map (db m4309) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 17th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below)Map (db m4210) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 18th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below)Map (db m4242) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 19th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below)Map (db m4245) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 20th Century (and later) Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below)Map (db m4246) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — A Natural Magnet for Native Americans
Cast your gaze downstream and try to imagine a landscape unaltered by European settlement and the Industrial Age. It is difficult today to appreciate the abundance of natural resources that once surrounded the mouth of Crosswicks Creek even as . . . — Map (db m4379) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Abraham Hunt House
Colonel Rall was entertained on Christmas night 1776 in the house owned by Abraham Hunt which stood on this spot. — Map (db m3657) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Alexander Douglass House on the Move
The Alexander Douglass House, one of Trenton’s most cherished historic sites, tells a curious tale of the American Revolution and local passion for preservation. The site of George Washington’s Council of War before the Battle of Princeton, the . . . — Map (db m127002) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Beulah A. OliphantWomen’s Heritage Trail
The Old Barracks is recognized as a National Historic Landmark for its significance as the finest example of colonial barracks in the United States and because of its role in the Battles of Trenton during the Revolutionary War. It is also . . . — Map (db m62214) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Black Soldiers and Patriots
Dedicated to the memory of the Black soldiers and patriots both free and enslaved who served in the American Revolution 1776 – 1783 — Map (db m4149) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Briar Patch
1952-1983 “Oldest known black bear to live in captivity” Nothing is lost that leaves a memory — Map (db m4575) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — British Light Dragoons
This meeting house was occupied by the British Light Dragoons December 1776 — Map (db m3832) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — C. Edward Murray
-1863-       -1943- Quartermaster General of New Jersey and a founder of this memorial Good citizen and good friend whose generosity to every worthy cause made him beloved Dedicated by his friend Walter Evans Edge Governor of . . . — Map (db m4018) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Cadwalader Park
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Cadwalader Park Named for General Thomas Cadwalader, Trenton’s Chief Burgess in 1746. Promoted by Edmund C. Hill in 1884. Authorized by City Council in 1888 . . . — Map (db m4127) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Canals and Railroads – Arteries to the Heart of Industrial Trenton
As the United States began to feel the full force of the Industrial Revolution and expand its own manufacturing and commercial base, cities like Trenton that were blessed with an advantageous location were in the forefront of transportation . . . — Map (db m4298) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Capt. James Olden Paxson
Born 1835 in Trenton. He was the son of Stacy A. Paxson, a former New Jersey state treasurer. At the outbreak of the Civil War he joined Company D, 48th New York Infantry Volunteers (Die-No-Mores), which was made up of men from Trenton, and was . . . — Map (db m4470) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Capt. Joseph A. Yard
Born March 23, 1802, in Trenton. Captain Yard was involved in the export and manufacture of bristled brushes, which proved to be lucrative, but lost his fortune in 1835 due to the wars in Europe. He later was appointed principal keeper of New . . . — Map (db m9892) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Catherine Verducci Ford
Mrs. Ford has dedicated more than 40 years of her life to serving the people in her community, especially the youth of Chambersburg, through her involvement in various groups and organizations. No one exemplifies this commitment to the community . . . — Map (db m4200) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Changing Landscapes Along Petty's Run
Three centuries ago, the landscape before you would have appeared much different. Looking west toward today's State House, you would have been facing a steep-sided ravine with wooded slopes and a fast flowing stream passing from right to left to . . . — Map (db m76805) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Charles Hewitt
Born Dec. 18, 1824, in New York City. Early in life he was principal and teacher of mathematics at the grammar school of Columbia College. He left Columbia in 1845 to join the Cooper Iron Works in Trenton. Responsible for various inventions that . . . — Map (db m4467) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Church of the Sacred Heart
(To the right of the front door): A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Church of the Sacred Heart New Jersey’s oldest Catholic parish Successor of St. John’s 1814 (To the left of the . . . — Map (db m4060) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Cooper & Hewitt ….. Iron & Steel
Trenton initially developed as a center of iron and steel production as a result of the efforts of Peter Cooper, the well-known inventor, industrialist and philanthropist from New York City. In the mid-1840s, as Cooper began to turn his attention to . . . — Map (db m4295) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Daniel Budd Bodine
Born April 16, 1814, in Tuckerton, NJ. He operated country general stores throughout Burlington and Monmouth Counties before moving to Trenton. He served as Chancery Court clerk of New Jersey from 1851 to 1856 and served as mayor of Trenton . . . — Map (db m9891) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Delaware and Raritan Canal1830 – 1935
The State Street Locks were located here. The canal was 42.9 miles long and there were 14 locks between Bordentown and New Brunswick via Bound Brook. The feeder extended 21.6 miles from Raven Rock. The main stream was 75 feet wide and 8 feet deep. . . . — Map (db m10075) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Dorothea Dix
Pioneered to establish this first mental hospital in New Jersey in 1848. She was later Chief Nurse in the Union Army. — Map (db m76924) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Douglass House
Circa 1766, Home of Alexander Douglass, Quartermaster in Washington’s Army, who fought in the Battle of Assunpink, Jan. 2, 1777. Here on that date General Washington held the Council of War. Washington’s idea was to leave campfires burning on the . . . — Map (db m3746) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Dr. John Manners
Born April 8, 1786, in Hunterdon County, N.J. A graduate of the College of New Jersey (Princeton University), he studied at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Department (1812) under Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m4468) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ellarslie
. . . — Map (db m4068) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Emlen House
. . . — Map (db m4065) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Europeans at the Falls of the Delaware
The lands adjoining the Falls of the Delaware River were a natural location for early European settlement, just as they had been a focus of native American occupation. The Falls were little more than a stretch of fast-running shallow water between . . . — Map (db m4233) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ferries across the Delaware
Two ferries across the Delaware River in the Trenton area date from the late 17th century – the Yardley Ferry and the Trenton or Middle Ferry. Two more – the Upper and Lower Ferries – were added later in the 18th century. The . . . — Map (db m4385) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Firemen’s Memorial
Dedicated to the Fire Department of the City of Trenton Volunteer Department Organized February 7, 1747 Paid Department Established April 4, 1892 Re-dedicated 1961 (Second Plaque): Memorial to the members of the . . . — Map (db m3983) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First High School
Trenton’s First Public School, built here in 1874, had room for 304 students. When city growth prompted the 1902 building of a new high school at Hamilton Avenue and Chestnut Street, this became the William McKinley Elementary School. — Map (db m3572) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First Presbyterian Churchyard
This tablet is dedicated to the memory of those men who served in the American Revolution 1775 – 1783 and who were buried in the First Presbyterian Churchyard Trenton, N.J. James Francis Armstrong • John Beatty • Nicholas de . . . — Map (db m4005) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First Professional Basketball Game
      On this site in 1896, was played the first professional basketball game. Fred Cooper, captain of the Trentons, had arranged for the rental of Masonic Temple Hall, after rent was paid, he distributed the remaining money among the players with . . . — Map (db m3658) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First Synagogue
Trenton’s first Jewish organization, Mount Sinai Cemetery Association, formed November 19, 1857, later known as Har Sinai Hebrew Congregation, began regular synagogue services at this site in 1860. — Map (db m3654) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Fitch’s Shop
Nearby, Lt. John Fitch, official State Armourer, operated a gunshop during the Revolution. It was damaged by the Hessians in 1776. On the Delaware, in 1790, he operated the first commercial steamboat that ran on a regular, advertised schedule. — Map (db m3777) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Friends Meeting House
. . . — Map (db m3984) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — From Federal City to State Capital
Following the Treaty of Paris in 1783, the newly independent United States were faced with establishing a national capital. Up to this point the Continental Congress had met in several places, most often in Philadelphia and New York City. Congress . . . — Map (db m4275) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — From Teacups to Toilets
Trenton burst forth as the premier pottery-producing center of the Eastern United States in the second half of the 19th century, the city skyline soon being dominated by the smokestacks of pottery kilns. Trenton’s location as a transportation hub . . . — Map (db m4284) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Front Street Paper MillTurning Rags to Riches
Most of the historic walls before you relate to the Front Street Paper Mill, which operated from around 1827 until 1876. The rectangular pit originally contained a giant overshot waterwheel, six to eight feet wide and 18 to 20 feet in diameter, fed . . . — Map (db m78386) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — George Clymer
(Headstone): George Clymer Signer of the Declaration of Independence Born Philadelphia June 10, 1738 Died Morrisville January 23, 1813 (Footstone): George Clymer Signer of the Constitution of the United . . . — Map (db m4007) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — George Washington White Oak
. . . — Map (db m4181) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Government House
Home of Moore Furman, Trenton’s first mayor, 1792–1794. Official residence of Governor of New Jersey, 1798–1845. Gen. George B. McClellan in 1862 and Woodrow Wilson in 1912 were among many notables who occupied this famous landmark. — Map (db m3655) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Growth of Government
Trenton has been a seat of county and municipal government since colonial times, although the impact of government on the landscape of the city was relatively limited until the early 20th century. Prior to 1900, most government business was . . . — Map (db m4313) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Headquarters of Colonel Johann Gottlieb Rall
On this site stood the dwelling which was the headquarters of Colonel Johann Gottlieb Rall, Hessian Commander mortally wounded in the Battle of Trenton December 26, 1776 in which house he died the following day. The dwelling was from November . . . — Map (db m3796) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Heritage of Sport
Trenton has a long and storied sporting tradition, both amateur and professional. The city was home to the country’s first professional basketball team, the Trentons, as the local team was known, began charging admission to their games in 1896, so . . . — Map (db m4310) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Historic Downtown TrentonStart Your Tour Here!
Mill Hill Park contains the site of Mahlon Stacy’s gristmill (later known as the Trenton Mills), the city’s very first industrial facility. The American Revolution’s Second Battle of Trenton was partly fought on the park grounds. The . . . — Map (db m127197) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Hopewell Church
This wall encloses a portion of a plot of two acres whereon was erected in 1704 the first Christian church within the present confines of Mercer County. Early records refer to it as “Hopewell Church” and “Christ . . . — Map (db m4073) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — House of Alexander Douglass
Here in the house of Alexander Douglass Washington called a council of war on the evening of January 2, 1777 when the flank movement to Princeton was decided upon — Map (db m3787) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ice, Brewing and Bottles
In the late 19th century, long after Lamberton had declined as a center of fishing, shipping and rafting, a new industrial focus emerged at the foot of Lalor Street. Here, straddling Lamberton Street, a factory complex took root where ice was made . . . — Map (db m4386) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — In Loving Memory of Fire Fighters
In loving memory of Fire Fighters Robert J. Mizopalko born 9/16/1952 Joseph F. Woods, Jr. born 11/25/1960 The supreme sacrifice was made by these two brave men on the morning of August 4, 1986 while fighting a 3rd alarm fire at 121 South . . . — Map (db m3792) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ira Wells Wood
Born June 19, 1856, in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He graduated third in the class of 1877 at Princeton University. He served on the Trenton Board of Education (1894-1896); Trenton Common Council (1896-1900); Trenton Board of Trade (1896-1900); New . . . — Map (db m4471) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Isaac Harrow’s Plating and Blade Mill
Established 1734 on west bank of Petty’s Run near here. Sold to Benjamin Yard in 1745. New Jersey’s first iron works. Manufactured household and farming tools and equipment. — Map (db m3760) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — James Kerney
-1873-          -1934- Appointed Director of American Committee on Public Information in France during the World War by President Woodrow Wilson Patriot Journalist Jurist whose pen defended his nation counseled her citizens sought her . . . — Map (db m4019) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — James Taylor
Born May 16, 1810 in Staffordshire, England. Taylor came to the United States in 1829 and settled for a time in Jersey City. He worked in the potteries of Troy, Indiana; Orrsville, Kentucky; Cincinnati, Ohio, and East Liverpool, Ohio, to master . . . — Map (db m4465) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John A. Roebling
Civil Engineer Designer and builder of many suspension bridges Founder of Trenton’s greatest industry An energetic worker Inventor and man of affairs Devoted to his adopted country in whose progress he had unswerving faith A patron . . . — Map (db m4128) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Alexander Campbell
-1856-          -1938- First President and Chairman of the Board of the Soldiers and Sailors’ War Memorial Building Commission Industrialist Banker Philanthropist whose kindly wisdom made his a happier generation Erected by his . . . — Map (db m4020) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Briest
Born Nov. 11, 1836, in Trenton. He started in the printing business at an early age and became foreman of the Trenton True American print shop. He started the penny daily newspaper The Emporium, which remained in operation from 1867 to 1897. In . . . — Map (db m4943) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John E. Curry Jr.
-1899-          -1990- A President and the longest serving member of this commission 1949 – 1988 Patron of the Arts – Public Servant – Musician – Impresario He made a notable contribution to the cultural life of . . . — Map (db m4021) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Fitch Steamboat Dock
This commemorates the genius, patience and perseverance of Lieutenant John Fitch, inventor of the first steamboat. It made successful trips between Philadelphia and Trenton in 1790 and docked near this site. — Map (db m3751) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Fitch’s Gun Shop
During the Revolution, Fitch manufactured guns for the Continental Army at this site. In 1786, he built the first boat in America to be propelled by steam. His last steamboat made regular Trenton – Philadelphia runs on the Delaware in 1790. — Map (db m3779) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John O. Raum
Born 1824, in Mill Hill, now a part of Trenton. In 1854, he was the first, with Jesse M. Clark and Randolph H. Moore, to publish a city directory that included all the names, addresses and occupations of the people of Trenton. He was elected to . . . — Map (db m4466) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Kelsey Building
(On the right side of front door) This building was erected by Henry Cooper Kelsey as a tribute to the memory of his wife Prudence Townsend Kelsey and for the use of the students of arts and crafts of the City of Trenton . . . — Map (db m4475) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mahlon Stacy
In memory of Mahlon Stacy the first English settler, 1679, who owned the land both sides of the Assunpink Creek at the Falls of Delaware, now Trenton. He erected a grist mill to accommodate the neighborhood; was a member of the Governor’s Council; . . . — Map (db m3831) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mahlon Stacy’s Grist Mill
Trenton’s first industry. Built near here in 1679. Heirs sold mill and 800 acres to William Trent after 1704. He replaced it with a larger mill which continued under successive owners until 1828. Later converted to a cotton, and then to a paper . . . — Map (db m3740) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mahlon Stacy’s GristmillWhere Trenton Began
Trenton originated with a gristmill founded near this spot on the Assunpink Creek over three centuries ago. The mill drove the early economic growth of the town, soon becoming known as Trent’s or the Trenton Mills after the family that owned . . . — Map (db m112076) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Many Meetings During the Revolutionary War
This tablet commemorates the site where were held many meetings during the Revolutionary War and where was assembled on Nov. 1, 1784 the Continental Congress of the several confederated states. Here the Marquis de Lafayette took final farewell of . . . — Map (db m3995) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mercer Cemetery at Trenton
(On the Left Side) Organized 1842 Restored 1992 (On the Right Side) Within these walls rest statesmen, polticians, soldiers and plain citizens of 19th century Trenton. Mercer Cemetery itself is a monument to their . . . — Map (db m4543) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mercer County Courthouse
Built on Mill Hill. 1839. Named for General Hugh Mercer who fought at Trenton and died in the Battle of Princeton, 1777. Goodyear vs. Day patent case tried here in 1852. Daniel Webster won for Goodyear. The result was a great impetus to local rubber . . . — Map (db m3752) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mercer County Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument
(Front): Mercer County to her sons who served in the United States Army and Navy 1861-1866. Dedicated June 19, 1903 (Soldier’s Side): Liberty and Union One Flag One Land One Nation Evermore . . . — Map (db m4125) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mill Hill Historic District
Mill Hill is named because it overlooks the site of the grist mill built along the Assunpink Creek in 1679 by Mahlon Stacy, Trenton’s first settler. On January 2, 1777, the Second Battle of Trenton was fought on the creek banks, and General . . . — Map (db m3737) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mill Hill ParkFrom Millpond to City Park
It is difficult to imagine that Mill Hill Park has ever been anything but a pleasant urban green space astride the Assunpink Creek, but this land had undergone remarkable changes. Over the past three centuries, it has been home to a mill and . . . — Map (db m127138) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mill Hill Playhouse
The Community Theater of the City of Trenton This plaque presented in memory of Emma Jane Stockton — Map (db m4177) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mount Zion A.M.E. Church
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Mount Zion A.M.E. Church The Oldest Black Church in Trenton Incorporated by slaves and freedmen 1811 Original edifice this site 1819 Member Founding . . . — Map (db m4945) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Native American Artifacts – Clubs to Prehistory
Artifacts recovered from prehistoric archaelogical sites, especially stone tools and ceramic pots, contain vital information about the living habits and age of Native American cultures. If the soil conditions allow, other materials – such as . . . — Map (db m4207) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Native Americans Exchange Furs for European Goods
The lifestyle of the Lenape changed forever upon contact with Europeans. One source of change was the European appetite for furs in making robes, coats, hats and gloves. Dutch, Swedish and English explorers and traders exchanged items of metal, . . . — Map (db m4208) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Barracks
Built in 1758 for British troops of the French and Indian War. Hessians were quartered here before the Battle of Trenton. — Map (db m3756) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Barracks
Built in 1758 for British troops of the French and Indian War. Hessians were here at the Battle of Trenton. — Map (db m28026) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Barracks MuseumTen Crucial Days
We entered the town with them pell-mell, and here succeeded a scene of war of which I had often conceived but never saw before. The hurry, fright, and confusion of the enemy was [not] unlike that which will be when the last trump shall . . . — Map (db m127001) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old City Hall
Built in 1837, Trenton’s first City Hall shared space with stores and rental meeting rooms. Municipal growth led to use of the full building in 1882 and to its replacement by the new City Hall in 1910. Yard’s department store occupied the site for . . . — Map (db m3989) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Eagle Tavern
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Old Eagle Tavern During the 19th century this tavern served travelers, soldiers, and Trentonians as a social and political center. — Map (db m4061) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Masonic Lodge Building
(Marker to the left of the entrance): A Bicentennial Commemorative Site Recognizing America's 200th Year of Liberty Old Masonic Lodge Building (Now open to the public) Used by Trenton Masons continuously since 1793. . . . — Map (db m3781) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Steel Mill
Here, in 1750, Benjamin Yard made steel in an iron works founded by Isaac Harrow 1733-’34. The mill was on Petty’s Run which now flows underground. It was one of the earliest steel mills in America and a forerunner of the great industries of Trenton. — Map (db m3762) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Petty's RunNatural Stream to Storm Drain
The stone-lined channel that plunges over the bluff edge below you was once a free-flowing water course. Today it is a partially abandoned segment of the city's storm drain system drawing in run-off from West State Street and a handful of buildings . . . — Map (db m78383) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Petty's RunCapital Industry
Don't let the sloping lawn and park-like setting deceive you. A natural stream, Petty's Run, flowed in a steep ravine at this spot, joining the Delaware River just beyond where the War Memorial sits today. Native Americans camped along the bluffs . . . — Map (db m79530) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Pre-17th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below)Map (db m4205) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Quakers Lead the Settlement of West Jersey
In the 1670s and 1680s, most of the proprietors of the Province of West Jersey were Quakers. Quakers were attracted to the new colony by the promise of economic prosperity and religious freedom as well as the opportunity to raise families in a . . . — Map (db m4234) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Residence of John A. Roebling
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Residence, built in 1855, of John A. Roebling American developer of wire rope and the suspension bridge. Occupied by his family until after his death in 1869. . . . — Map (db m4474) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Rev. John Rosbrugh
In memory of Rev. John Rosbrugh Clerical Martyr of the Revolution Moderator of the Presbytery of New Brunswick 1776 Chaplain 3d Battalion Northampton County PA Militia December 25, 1776 Bayoneted to death by Hessians in . . . — Map (db m4006) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Rider College
The Trenton Business College was founded on October 1, 1865 at the corner of Broad and Front Streets. After several relocations, the college constructed this building and occupied it on January 1, 1921. On February 4, 1921, the institution was . . . — Map (db m4198) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Righting Civil Wrongs and Ensuring Civil Rights
Civil rights, the rights to freedom from discrimination that every citizen and inhabitant enjoys by law, have evolved gradually over the years in the United States. For African-Americans, civil rights have been hard-won and are still an issue. . . . — Map (db m4311) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Riverview Cemetery
Riverview Cemetery, today a wedge of green between two major highways, is an oasis in the concrete and asphalt of the city where Trenton’s history is written silently in gravestones. Here in 1685, John Lambert conveyed two acres to the Chesterfield . . . — Map (db m4332) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Roebling …… Wire Rope and American Bridges
One of the iron and steel products for which Trenton became best known was wire rope. Originally developed as a stronger and more durable alternative to hemp, wire rope was first successfully produced in America in the early 1840s by John A. . . . — Map (db m4302) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 1 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777. — Map (db m4057) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 2 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4074) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Route Taken by Washington
"Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty" Marking route taken by Washington from Philadelphia to Cambridge to assume command of the Patriot Army in 1775 — Map (db m3790) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Sgt. John P. Beech
Born May 1, 1844, in Staffordshire, England. Beech emigrated to Boston in 1848. In 1856, he moved to Trenton and found a job with City Pottery, at the corner of Perry and Carroll Streets. Beech joined Co. B, 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry on . . . — Map (db m4464) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Shipping on the Delaware
In the colonial and early Federal periods, Lamberton was an important node in the regional trade network and a limited participant in overseas trade. Positioned at the head of navigation this small port developed as a key point of collection and . . . — Map (db m4383) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Site of the Golden Swan
Built about 1815. An inn 1826–1857. “The Daily True American” published by the Naar family 1857–1872. Subsequently housed various industrial and commercial activities. — Map (db m3744) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Slavery – An “Odious and Disgraceful” Practice
From the onset of European settlement in North America slavery was a recognized institution and integral to the colonial economy. Although Quakers discouraged the practice, settlers of other religious faiths living in the Delaware Valley maintained . . . — Map (db m4273) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — South Riverwalk Park
Gifted to the City of Trenton and the Mercer County Parks Commission by the New Jersey Department of Transportation and the successful efforts of the Route 29 Community Partnering Team. Designer: Vollmer Associates, LLP Contractor: PKF-Mark . . . — Map (db m4451) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Spirit of Justice
Erected to commemorate that noble spirit of justice displayed by Gen. George Washington after his capture of Trenton in December 1776, in returning to both Whig and Tory alike their personal effects, of which they had been ruthlessly plundered by . . . — Map (db m3757) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — State House
The State House is the heart of New Jersey’s State government, the second oldest State House in continuous use in the United States. First built in 1792 and expanded in every generation, the State House is a witness to two centuries of American . . . — Map (db m3850) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Taylor Opera House
Trenton’s first theater, built here in 1867, presented everyone from Mark Twain and Ethel Barrymore to George M. Cohan before its 1921 conversion to a movie and vaudeville palace as the Capital Theatre. Governors George B. McClellan (1877) and . . . — Map (db m3991) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Alexander Douglass House
was originally built circa 1760 on what is now South Broad Street as a one room, two story “shanty.” Alexander Douglass purchased it in 1769 and it was in that place that George Washington called a Council of War during the . . . — Map (db m79921) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Archives of the State
New Jersey maintains offices all across the State in support of the business of government. The very first of these facilities, the offices of the Secretary of State and the Clerk of the Supreme Court, was situated on this spot within a one-story . . . — Map (db m10147) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Battles of Trenton, Turning Point of the Revolution
By December of 1776, the Continental Army had withdrawn in disarray from New York, across Central New Jersey and the Delaware River into Pennsylvania. The British were in complacent pursuit, confident that it was only a matter of weeks or months . . . — Map (db m4274) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The First Presbyterian Church
A Bicentennial Commemorative Site recognizing America's 200th year of liberty Organized 1712 Present Building erected 1839 We are bound to God’s will (On another marker nearby on the front porch: Presbyterian Church Formed 1712 . . . — Map (db m3993) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Hermitage
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty The Hermitage Built in 1784 by General Philemon Dickinson of General Washington’s Contintental Army. Original part of building (removed 1905) was used as Hessian . . . — Map (db m4066) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Penitentiary House
Labour, Silence, Penitence The Penitentiary House Erected by Legislative Authority Richard Howell, Governor In the XXII Year of Amern Independence MDCCXCVII That those who are feared for their crimes May learn to fear . . . — Map (db m4523) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Second Battle of Trenton
On this site, late in the afternoon of January 2, 1777, General Washington’s “Little Band” of determined men and boys won the Second Battle of Trenton. Having amassed a great concentration of artillery and small-arms power, the Americans . . . — Map (db m3743) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Second Battle of Trenton
History Downtown Trenton is one of the most significant battlefields of the Revolutionary War. The street network today is essentially the same as it was when the town center served as the setting for two key engagements that saw the . . . — Map (db m127071) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Signing of the Ratification of the Constitution
This tablet commemorates the signing of the ratification of the Constitution of the United States by the thirty-nine commissioners of the State of New Jersey, executed on the site of this bank on the 18th day of December 1787. The one hundred and . . . — Map (db m3784) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Story of Trenton
Settled in 1679, Trenton looks back on more than 300 years of tumultuous history. Scene of the two Battles of Trenton in 1776 and 1777 and New Jersey’s State capital since 1790, Trenton embarked on the path that turned the city into a center of . . . — Map (db m3852) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Swamp Angel
The first gun an eight inch Parrott Rifle or 200 pounder, fired from the Marsh Battery, on Morris Island, S.C. at the City of Charleston, 7,000 yards distance. Weight of gun 16,500 pounds, weight of charge of powder 16 pounds, and weight of . . . — Map (db m4130) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Trenton Steel WorksThe Colonial Art of Making Steel
Making steel in the 18th century was a challenge, especially in America. Steel was essential for making edge tools, such as axes and scythes, and other items like bayonets, knives and the mechanisms for guns and clocks; yet the science of making . . . — Map (db m79352) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Trenton War Memorial
(On the Rededication Marker): Restored and rededicated by the people of New Jersey in honor of all those from this state who served with courage, dignity, and patriotism in the armed forces of the United States of America Our land is . . . — Map (db m4174) WM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The West Jersey Proprietors Rule
Between 1674 and 1702, the province of West New Jersey was owned and governed by a group of men collectively known as the West Jersey Proprietors. The first proprietors were two Quakers, Edward Byllynge and John Fenwick, who acquired rights to half . . . — Map (db m4235) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The World Arrives … … Trenton Thrives
Just as the river has for centuries flowed across the falls of the Delaware, so have waves of people streamed into the Trenton area to settle, raise families and make a living. Still more people have passed through this hub in the landscape – . . . — Map (db m4417) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Third Ward Civic Association
This monument and plaque was erected by the citizens of the Third Ward in memory of those who served in World War 2 and for those who made the supreme sacrifice John J, McGlone, Sr. President Sam Brodner Vice-President John L. . . . — Map (db m4568) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Town Hall and Jail
Here stood the first municipal building in Trenton, 1809 – 1837. Later used as a public school, the present building, erected 1850, was the first school house to be built from public funds in the Trenton of that day. — Map (db m3788) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trent House
An immigrant from Scotland, Philadelphia merchant William Trent built this house in 1719 on a traditional Lenape site for his family and enslaved servants. During the American Revolution it served as a base for Hessian forces, and later as a supply . . . — Map (db m127949) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton 1790–1834
1790 — Trenton named capital of New Jersey. John Fitch’s steamboat makes Trenton–Philadelphia trips three days a week. 1792 — State House opens. Assembly meets in State House for first time. 1799 — President . . . — Map (db m3985) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Battle Monument
(On the back Panel): This monument is erected by the Trenton Battle Monument Association to commemorate the victory gained by the American Army over the forces of Great Britain in this town on the 25th day of December Anno Domini 1776 . . . — Map (db m4137) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Battle Monument
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Trenton Battle Monument Marks site of major gun emplacement at Battle of Trenton December 25, 1776 — Map (db m4151) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Ferry
April 21, 1789, Washington passed through Trenton on his way to New York for inauguration. Reception was held in City Tavern. — Map (db m3749) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Iron Works 1847-1867
An important part of Trenton’s manufacturing history once operated near this site. Incorporated by Peter Cooper, Abram Hewitt, Edward Cooper and James Hall in 1847, the Trenton Iron Works was renowned for the quality of the goods it produced. The . . . — Map (db m3922) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Police
Dedicated May 9, 1992 1792 - 1992 (On the Left Side) In Memoriam Officer Jacob Reupp 6-14-1875 Officer George B. Grover 6-15-17 Officer John J. Clowar 11-16-64 Officer George L. Ambrosio 12-8-79 Oh almighty god, . . . — Map (db m4578) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton YMCA
Founded in 1856, the Trenton YMCA was initially located in homes and public buildings throughout the city. In 1892, with volunteer leadership and total community support, the YMCA built their first consolidated facility on this site. By 1916, the . . . — Map (db m3992) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton’s Early Houses of Worship
Europeans and Africans moving into the Middle Delaware valley in the late 17th and 18th centuries professed and practiced a variety of religious faiths. In the case of the incoming European settlers, most held to some form of Protestant Christian . . . — Map (db m4249) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Warren Street Plaza
Warren Street Plaza Dedicated 2004 -Mayor- Honorable Douglas H. Palmer -City Council- Paul M. Pintella, President Annette H. Lartigue, Vice President Milford Bethea Gino A. Melone Manuel Segura Cordelia M. Staton John G. . . . — Map (db m4164) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Washington Crossing the Delaware
(On the back of the pedestal): This statue which was carved in Italy, and was first exhibited at the Centennial Exposition was purchased and presented to the city by the Mayor, the Common Council and other officials of the City of Trenton, . . . — Map (db m4176) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Washington Elm
(Original Marker): Washington first took command of the American Army under the grandparent of this elm at Cambridge, Mass. July 3, 1775. Raised and presented by Maryland D.A.R. Marked by New Jersey D.A.R. This tree is . . . — Map (db m4179) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Washington’s Triumphal Arch
At the bridge over the Assunpink Creek on April 21, 1789, the citizens of Trenton honored George Washington as he passed through a triumphal arch on his way to New York City to be inaugurated President of the United States. — Map (db m3739) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Water Power and Industry
The Trenton Water Power         The Trenton Water Power was a seven-mile canal built in the early 1830s along the left bank of the Delaware River to spur industrial development along the waterfront in Trenton. The canal drew water from the . . . — Map (db m4435) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — West Front StreetThruway to the State House
Surprising as it may seem, you are standing on the line of a historic street that as various times was bordered by mills, row homes and businesses. For more than a hundred years, from the early 1790s until Mahlon Stacy Park was established in the . . . — Map (db m79351) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — What happened to the Lenape?
In the 17th and early 18th centuries, while struggling to maintain their lifestyle of hunting, fishing and gathering, the Lenape released their lands to incoming Europeans through sales and treaties. The Europeans unwittingly brought with them . . . — Map (db m4209) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Who, What and Where were Sanhickans?
The Sanhickans were a band of the Algonquian-speaking Lenape that occupied the Middle Delaware valley at the time of European contact in the 17th century. The Lenape territory ranged from the Atlantic coastline inland up into the Delaware, Raritan . . . — Map (db m4206) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Borrow
Born Jan. 8, 1821, in England, he emigrated to America at an early age. Borrow drew the plans for the Cooper-Hewitt rolling mill, the first three-high beam rolling mill of its kind in the world, located on the Delaware River in Trenton. Later he . . . — Map (db m4942) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Potts Sherman
Born 1807, in Trenton. He was the editor of the New Jersey State Gazette early in his career. Later a member and president of the Common Council, he served the short term as mayor of Trenton – April 6 to 9, 1855 – filling the vacated . . . — Map (db m4542) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William R. McKean
Born 1803. Active in area business and politics, he was part-owner of VanCleve & McKean Iron Manufacturing Co., which eventually became the Trenton Locomotive and machine Manufacturing Co. (at South Broad St. and Hamilton Ave.), the first to . . . — Map (db m4469) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Trent House
This house was built in 1719 by William Trent for whom Trenton was named Given to the City of Trenton in 1929 by Edward Ansley Stokes Restored 1934-1936 by the Civil Works Administration the Emergency Relief Administration and . . . — Map (db m4153) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Trent House
This house built in 1719 by William Trent Chief Justice of New Jersey 1723-1724 from whom Trenton derived its name was his home until his death in 1724 Other owners or occupants of the house were Lewis Morris First Governor . . . — Map (db m4154) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Trent House
. . . — Map (db m4155) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Trent House (NHL)Crossroads of the American Revolution National Heritage Area
William Trent, a wealthy Philadelphia merchant (later Chief Justice of New Jersey) built this country manor house circa 1719, at the highest navigable point of the Delaware River. An important Hessian guard post was sited on the grounds the morning . . . — Map (db m79923) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Trent of Trent’s Town
By the end of the 17th century William Trent, a native of Inverness Scotland, had established himself as a prominent Philadelphia merchant trading in flour, tobacco, rum and molasses, slaves and indentured servants. His shipping interests extended . . . — Map (db m4236) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Young
Born Dec. 5, 1801, in Longnor, Staffordshire, England. He emigrated to the United States in 1842, but remained only for a short time before returning to his native England, where he started a pottery. When it failed to produce a profit by 1848, . . . — Map (db m4472) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Zebulon Pike
Brig. Gen. Zebulon Pike, explorer, born near here, 1779. Captured York, Canada, 1813, but killed in attack. Pike’s Peak named for him. (on the bench beneath the sign) N. J. U. S. D. 1812 General Zebulon Montgomery . . . — Map (db m3758) HM

151 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement