Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Warren, Michigan Historical Markers

 
Arsenal Acres Marker and The Salvation Army Building image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, August 20, 2017
Arsenal Acres Marker and The Salvation Army Building
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Arsenal Acres ca: 1941
This 5.6-acre site originally housed seven living quarters for Naval Officers serving the adjacent Naval Ordinance Plant in World War II. In January 1960, the housing units were transferred to the Army for use by Officers assigned to the U.S. . . . — Map (db m107296) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Base Line Feed Store ca: 1877
The Abstract Deed for this property dates back to 1833 and the current building was constructed about 1877. Joseph Verheye bought the building in 1939 and started the "Base Line Feed Store" with ONE bag of corn. Verheye introduced the first . . . — Map (db m106144) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Bunert-Weier Farm
Gottlieb and Susan Bunert bought the 80 acre farm in 1849. They built a log cabin, dug a well and started to farm. Their daughter's (Wilhelmine) diary stated the brick house was built in 1876, barn in 1883 and the carriage garage in 1892. . . . — Map (db m78829) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — 674 — Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant
Side A In 1940 the U.S. Army and the Chrysler Corporation hired Detroit architect Albert Kahn to design a self-contained tank plant. Kahn specialized in factories. In 1941 he designed 20 million square feet of defense plants. The first tank . . . — Map (db m101995) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — L392 — Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery
Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery was organized in 1925 to serve the rapidly expanding post-war Detroit black population. Concerned with the indignities and poor quality of service received by the black community, several distinguished Detroiters . . . — Map (db m87801) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — First Baptist Church of Warren
This white frame pioneer church is one of the oldest buildings in the village of Warren. Remarkably the structure, as it stands, is of the original construction and materials. The church, built in 1857 by the Methodist congregation, was . . . — Map (db m91428) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — S676 — General Motors Technical Center
An American icon of modern architecture, the General Motors (GM) Technical Center stands as a model corporate research and development park. Thirty-one buildings were constructed between 1949 and 1985. Conceived in 1944 by Board of Directors . . . — Map (db m87767) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Gillett - Beer Farm
Peter & Sally Gillett moved to Warren Township from New York in 1832, buying 82 acres of land from the government. Part of the current house was built before 1840. Peter sold a portion of land to the First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1845 as a . . . — Map (db m67921) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — S284 — Governor Alex J. Groesbeck
Son of a pioneer Dutch-French family, Groesbeck was born in Warren Township near the corner of Mound and Twelve Mile Roads in 1872. His father's election as sheriff in 1880 caused the family to move to Mount Clemens. In 1893 Alex graduated from the . . . — Map (db m87766) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Grist Mill
This is the site of the old Grist Mill built by John and Dave Wilson in the late 1890's. In 1911 A.V. Church bought the Mill and later sold it to the Farm Bureau. In 1922 a group of Farm Bureau members organized the Co Operative Co. and the . . . — Map (db m106007) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Murthum-Vander Vlucht House 1895
This farm house was built in 1895. The architectural design is a combination of Greek Revival & Queen Anne (noted by the gables, dental moldings, fish scale shingles and fret work). The house originally sat 200 ft. E. from it's current . . . — Map (db m107289) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Norman J. Halmich Park
After their immigration from Germany to America in 1851, the Halmich family owned several farms in and around Warren. The largest portion of what is now Halmich Park was a cattle farm owned by the Charles Halmich family. The property was sold . . . — Map (db m67919) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the fur traders and early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the . . . — Map (db m106084) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the fur traders and early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the . . . — Map (db m106087) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run Creek
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run Creek, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the pathway that . . . — Map (db m106082) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run Creek
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run Creek, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the pathway that . . . — Map (db m106083) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — St. Paul United Church of Christ
About 1850 a small group, representing the Warren Township Outpost of St. Peter's Evangelical Church of Halfway, met in the old Methodist Church across Mound Road. In 1864 they organized as St. Paul Evangelical Church. This sanctuary was built in . . . — Map (db m106001) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Behrns-Qualmann Farmhouse
German immigrant Joachim Behrns (1808-1888) settled here in 1854. The one-story portion predates 1856, with additions in 1861 and c. 1900. In 1902 son Henry Behrns (1849-1930) sold the farm to the family of his farmhand William Qualmann (1885-1983) . . . — Map (db m106226) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Claeys House
This elaborate brick and stone house was built in 1936 - 37 for Henry L. Claeys. Mr. Claeys had the well-digging and plumbing supply business which he started in 1904. In 1920 he sold the well digging machines and went into the wholesale supply . . . — Map (db m108180) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Flynn House 1865
This large frame house was built in 1865 by a family named Jones. In 1889, Dr. Flynn bought it and his family continued to live here until 1951. Dr. John C. Flynn, born in New York in 1850, came to the Warren Village in 1880 and was the only . . . — Map (db m106005) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Hoard House 1889
Gurton Hoard built the original frame building as a hotel in 1889, since this area was a days buggy ride from the Utica area to Detroit. The house also served as the location of the first village meeting place. After Mr. Hoards death the house . . . — Map (db m105950) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — L1727 — The John Theisen House
Built c. 1857 — Map (db m106145) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Joiner House 1895 Warren's First Library 1935
This house was built in 1895 by Robert and Eliza Joiner. Owners to date have included the Seibert, Brinkert, Bull, Zorn, McCallum, DeGrandchamp and Trzaskoma families. In 1935 Warren's first library was located in the parlor of this house. Through . . . — Map (db m91414) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Wilson-Bosh Home 1892
In 1843 Charles Davy bought 40 acres of land from public auction for $65.00. The auction was conducted to pay the debts of the estate of Orson Gibbs. This 40 acres contained the west half of what later became Beebe's Corners. In 1848 Charles Davy . . . — Map (db m91419) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — 1654 — Warren Township District No. 4 School
This building was commonly names Bunert School, for August and Mine Bunert, who sold land to Warren School District No. 4 in January 1875. The school was built later that year on the northeast cornet of the intersection of Bunert and Martin roads. . . . — Map (db m77790) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — L1774 — Warren Union Cemetery
In 1845 pioneer farmer Peter Gillete sold a parcel of land to eighteen families for use a burial ground. The Warren Union Cemetery Association was organized in 1852 to maintain the cemetery, which consists of two and one-quarter acres. Some of the . . . — Map (db m67918) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Warren Village Hall
The Warren Village Hall was built originally in 1922 to house the offices of the village officials and serve as the voting place for village residents.
The west side of the building housed the Warren Community Library from 1949 to 1957.
Map (db m91431) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement