Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Newberry County South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Overview image, Touch for more information
By Anna Inbody, April 15, 2012
Overview
South Carolina (Newberry County), Glymphville — R. Aubrey Harley Bridge
On State Highway 34, on the left when traveling east.
Named in 1979 in honor of Dedicated Public Servant Born 1908 Died 1974 Member, South Carolina House of Representatives from Newberry County 1939 ~ 48 Member, South Carolina Highway Commission 1951 ~ 55 Vice Chairman 1954 ~ 55 Member, South . . . — Map (db m54563) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Maybinton — Ebenezer Methodist Church1784-1974
On State Hwy S 36 81 (State Highway S 36) 0.5 miles south of Maybinton Road, on the right when traveling north.
On this site stood the Ebenezer Methodist Church. The structure built in 1848 and two earlier structures which stood in this vicinity served the congregation of Maybinton Township. Founded in 1784 the first year of organized Methodism in America, . . . — Map (db m20832) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-6 — Bush River Church
On Bush River Road at Floyd Road (South Carolina Highway S-36-34), on the right when traveling east on Bush River Road.
Constituted by Daniel Marshall and Philip Mulkey in June, 1771, Bush River Church is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the upcountry. The original meeting house stood in the old graveyard, on a tract of two acres willed to the congregation by . . . — Map (db m13298) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-2 — Bush River Quaker Meeting
On Dennis Dairy Road, on the left when traveling north.
This old cemetery marks the site of the Bush River Meeting House. Settled by Quakers in the 1760s, it was a monthly meeting (1770-1822) and a quarterly meeting with jurisdiction over all meetings in South Carolina and Georgia from 1791 to 1808. . . . — Map (db m13288) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Calvin Crozier
Near Main Street.
Was murdered near by the 33d, U.S. Regt of Negro Federal Soldiers Sept. 8, 1865 — Map (db m44978) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-13 — Calvin Crozier Murder Site
On Nance Street, on the left when traveling south.
Front Colonel Charles Trowbridge of the 33rd U.S. Colored Troops ordered the execution of Calvin Crozier, former private 3rd Kentucky Cavalry, on Sept. 8, 1865. Crozier, while en route to his Texas home, cut a troop member on the back of . . . — Map (db m13305) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Henry McNeal Turner
On Caldwell Street near Player Street, on the left when traveling south.
Historical Bicentennial Marker In Memory Of Henry McNeal Turner 1834 - 1915 Birthplace: Newberry, South Carolina - Boyhood Home: Abbeville, South Carolina Missionary Pioneer to South Africa, Liberation Theologian Social and . . . — Map (db m42143) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Korean War
On Main Street.
In honor of those who served and dedicated to those who died on the field of battle Korea 1950-1955 — Map (db m13329) WM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-16 — Mollohon Mill and Village
On Glenn Street, on the right when traveling south.
This mill was built and operated by the Mollohon Manufacturing Co. from 1901 to 1926, when it was sold to the Kendall CO.; the mill closed in 1976 and was razed in 1980. Original mill village housing was built 1901-02; new mill village was built . . . — Map (db m13304) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — National WWII MemorialCelebration of Freedom
On Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m44975) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 30-24 — Newberry
Front Newberry County was one of six counties created from Ninety Six District in 1785. In 1789 John Coate donated two acres here for a courthouse and public square. When additional land was surveyed the town was laid out in 25 one-acre . . . — Map (db m83898) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-3 — Newberry College
On College Street, on the right when traveling north.
This fully-accredited Lutheran-controlled college was chartered by the General Assembly of South Carolina on December 20, 1856. Dr. John Bachman, noted divine and naturalist, was the first president of the board of trustees. The college was used as . . . — Map (db m13293) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-9 — Newberry College Historic District
On College Street, on the right when traveling north.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places are Smeltzer Hall (1877-78), dormitory for women and campus reception area, renovated and re-dedicated in 1978; Keller Hall (1894), used as chapel, museum, library, laboratory, and now for student . . . — Map (db m13292) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-14 — Newberry Cotton Mills
On Main St. near Tarrant St., on the left when traveling west.
Newberry Cotton Mills, incorporated in 1882, began operation in 1885. The mill was designed by prominent textile mill architects Lockwood, Greene, & Co. and was one of the first cotton mills in the United States operated by steam power. Z.F. . . . — Map (db m19652) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Newberry County Confederate Monument
On Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
This is a record of sacred dead. They were the soldiers of the Southern Confederact, from Newberry District, South Carolina, who battled for right and perished. Thus their living comrades and they who loved them memorize their lives. — Map (db m13397) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Newberry County World War I Monument
On Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
West Side Erected in grateful recognition of the service of the sons of Newberry County who at the call of their country enlisted in the World War, and to the memory of those who sealed with their lives their devotion to the cause of . . . — Map (db m13327) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Newberry County World War II Monument
On Nance Street.
In honor of all who served our country and dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II. 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m13396) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-22 — Newberry Village Cemetery
On Coates Street, on the right when traveling east.
This cemetery dates from 1809, 23 years before Newberry’s incorporation in 1832. George McCreless donated an acre here for a village cemetery, and his brother Lewis was the first person buried in it. The Town Council bought another acre from John . . . — Map (db m55108) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-4 — Old Court House
On Caldwell St. near Main Street, on the right.
Designed by Jacob Graves and built by John Damron, Newberry County's fourth court house was erected in 1852. It replaced an earlier building on this site which was probably designed by Robert Mills. The Old Court House is now used as a . . . — Map (db m19660) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-5 — The Opera House
On McKibben Street at Boyce St, on the left when traveling north on McKibben Street.
This building was erected by the Town of Newberry, and dedicated in February of 1882. An outstanding example of Victorian civic architecture of eclectic design, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Now housing . . . — Map (db m19654) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Vietnam War
On Boyce Street.
Dedicated to those who died, honor and eternal rest, those still in bondage, remembrance and hope, those who returned, gratitude and peace. — Map (db m13330) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Peak — 36-15 — Peak
This town, founded in 1853 as Peak's Station on the Greenville & Columbia Railroad, was named for railroad superintendent H.T. Peake. In 1865 Federal troops destroyed the tracks here and over the Broad River. Peak, incorporated in 1880, prospered as . . . — Map (db m27661) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-18 — Bethlehem Lutheran Church
On New Hope Church Road 0.2 miles north of U.S. 176, on the right when traveling east.
[Marker Front]: This church, with its origins in services held in the 1780's at nearby Wicker's Camp Ground, was formally organized in 1816 with Rev. Godfrey Dreher as its first pastor. A log meeting house was built on this site soon . . . — Map (db m10039) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-17 — Folk-Holloway House
On Holloway Street, on the right when traveling south.
This house, built ca. 1820 for John Adam Folk (1799-1855) is an excellent example of a 19th-century two-story farmhouse. Folk, a farmer and merchant, was also postmaster at Tanner's Hill (now Pomaria) 1829-40. Later the home of Folk's daughter . . . — Map (db m27659) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-20 — Hope Rosenwald School
On Hope Station Road near Peak Road (South Carolina Highway 36-33), on the right when traveling south.
(Front text) This school, built in 1925-26 at a cost of $2,900, was one of more than 500 rural African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. The original two-acre lot for the . . . — Map (db m42139) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-1 — Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary
On US Highway 176, on the right when traveling south.
Here in 1830, in the house of Colonel John Eigleberger, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of South Carolina and Adjacent States opened a seminary which grew into the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary now located in Columbia, S.C. — Map (db m13254) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-11 — Mount Bethel Academy
On US Highway 176, on the left when traveling south.
[Front] Located about one mile northeast on land conveyed by Edward Finch, this school, the first Methodist educational venture in the state, was established by Bishop Francis Asbury and opened by him, 1795. A number of Mt. Bethel . . . — Map (db m13210) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-10 — Pomaria
On US Highway 176, on the right when traveling south.
Originally named Countsville, this post office was established in 1823. In 1840, it was renamed Pomaria, probably for William Summer's nearby Pomaria Nursery. By 1851 the Columbia and Newberry Railroad had completed a line through here, and six . . . — Map (db m13252) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — Rev. Joachim Bulow.
On Wicker Rd (State Highway 773).
In Memory of the Rev. Joachim Bulow. Organizer and first Pastor of St. Pauls Lutheran Church about 1761 — Map (db m19396) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-7 — St. John's Church
On Hope Station Road, on the left when traveling north.
This Lutheran church stands on a royal grant of 100 acres made in 1763 to John Adam Epting and Peter Dickert, elders of the Dissenting congregation on Crim's Creek. The origins of St. John's date as early as 1754, when the Reverend John Gasser . . . — Map (db m13258) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36 - 21 — St. Paul Lutheran Church
On State Highway 773 at Wicker Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 773.
Front This church, founded ca. 1761 by the Rev. Joachim Bulow, is one of the earliest Lutheran congregations in what is now Newberry County. A log church built nearby before the Revolution was replaced by a frame church. A larger frame . . . — Map (db m52785) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Prosperity — Confederate Veterans
On Towne Square, in the median.
To the Memory of Confederate Veterans 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m50352) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Prosperity — 36-8 — The Rock House
On St. Luke's Church Road, on the right when traveling west.
On December 7, 1756, the Council of the Colony recorded a petition of Jacob Hoffman for 200 acres of bounty land. He was granted this acreage on Palmetto Branch in 1758. The building on this tract, which has long been known as "The Rock House," . . . — Map (db m13281) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Silverstreet — 36-12 — New Chapel Church
On Deadfall Road, on the left when traveling north.
Once housing a school for area students, this United Methodist church was located closer to the Saluda River around 1820. The congregation moved to this site after Isaac Herbert, a member of the S.C. House of Representatives (1844-45), donated the . . . — Map (db m13285) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Our Heroes of World War II
On Union Street near Church Street, on the right when traveling east.
In Memoriam Aragon Baldwin Mills, Whitmire Plant Employees who gave their lives in World War II. Great Britton Arrowood; Thomas Bellue; Howard Eugene Boulware; Ralph Cochran; William Thomas Crosby; Robert Yvan Evans; Floyd Virgil . . . — Map (db m54561) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Textile Memorial
On South Main Street at East Gilliam Street on South Main Street.
In Appreciation of Contributions God-fearing Neighbors Made to the Cotton Mill and Town of Whitmire October 1902 - May 2001 Lives of great men all remind us we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us footprints . . . — Map (db m48581) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Veterans Memorial
On Cemetery Road, in the median.
Dedicated to the memory of the men and women who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America by American Legion Post #70 — Map (db m54558) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Whitmire War Memorial1949
On Union Street near Church Street, on the right when traveling east.
Whitmire War Memorial 1949 Erected in the honor of the men and women of Whitmire who served their country in World Wars One and Two and Dedicated to the memory of the following who made the supreme sacrifice World War One: Arthur Baker; . . . — Map (db m54560) WM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement