Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Amherst County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Action at Tye River Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
Action at Tye River Marker
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-61 — Action at Tye River
On North Amherst Highway (U.S. 29) south of Ty River Road, on the right when traveling north.
On 11 June 1864, about 800 yards east, the Botetourt Battery prevented the destruction of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad bridge across the Tye River. This bridge was an important part of the Confederate railroad network for the movement of . . . — Map (db m10227) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — Amherst County Confederate Soldiers Monument
Near East Court Street at Goodwin Street when traveling east.
Confederate Soldiers 1861 - 1865 To the memory of The Sons of Amherst County who from 1861 to 1865 upheld in arms the cause of Virginia and the South, who fell in battle or died from wounds, and survivors of the war who as . . . — Map (db m67324) WM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-52 — Bear Mountain Indian Mission School
On Kenmore Road (County Route 643) just east of Matohe Road and Father Judge Road (County Route 655), on the left when traveling west.
Bear Mountain is the spiritual center of the Monacan community. The Bear Mountain Indian Mission School, ca. 1868, was originally built for church services and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Virginia’s racial segregation . . . — Map (db m104369) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-22 — James River Batteau
On South Amherst Highway (Business U.S. 29) south of North Coolwell Road (County Route 663).
Near here lived Anthony and Benjamin Rucker, inventors of the James River batteau, which superseded the double dugout canoe and rolling road for transporting tobacco hogsheads. These long (about 50 or 60 feet), double-ended vessels dominated . . . — Map (db m46342) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-21 — Rucker’s Chapel
On South Amherst Highway (U.S. 29) south of North Coolwell Road (County Route 663), on the right when traveling south.
Nearby stood Rucker’s Chapel, one of the first Anglican (present-day Episcopal) churches in Amherst County. Also known as Harris Creek Church and later as St. Matthew’s, the church was founded by Col. Ambrose Rucker before 1751. It stood on . . . — Map (db m46350) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-23 — The Courage of Frank Padget
On South Main Street (U.S. 29) west of Star Street, on the right when traveling south.
Heavy rains early in 1854 left the James River and the treacherous Balcony Falls in full flood. On 21 January the towrope of the canal boat, Clinton, snapped. Washed over the Mountain Dam and through successive falls, its passengers became . . . — Map (db m96744) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — The Reverend Robert Rose1704-1751
On Patrick Henry Highway (Virginia Route 151) 0.2 miles south of Fletchers Level Road (Virginia Route 610), on the right when traveling north.
To honor The Reverend Robert Rose 1704-1751 First Minister of St. Ann’s Parish in Old Albermarle County 1747-1751 This tablet commemorates the establishment by him of St. Mark’s Church at Maple Run 1748 To the present site, in . . . — Map (db m122978) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Buena Vista — Z-138 — Amherst County / Rockbridge CountyArea 470 Square Miles / Area 616 Square Miles
On Lexington Turnpike / Midland Trail (U.S. 60) at Blue Ridge Parkway and Panther Falls Road, on the right when traveling east on Lexington Turnpike / Midland Trail.
Amherst County. Formed in 1781 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Rockbridge County. Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and . . . — Map (db m49888) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Buena Vista — R-59 — Constitution Forest
On Lexington Turnpike / Midland Trail (U.S. 60) at Blue Ridge Parkway and Panther Falls Road, on the right when traveling east on Lexington Turnpike / Midland Trail.
In 1938, the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the United States Constitution, the Virginia Daughters of the American Revolution sponsored the planting of Constitution Forest in this area. With the help of the Civilian Conservation . . . — Map (db m49885) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Clifford — R-60 — Grave of Patrick Henry’s Mother
On Patrick Henry Highway (Virginia Route 151) north of Winton Road (County Route 736), on the right when traveling north.
In the grove of trees some hundreds of yards to the west is the grave of Sarah Winston (Henry), mother of Patrick Henry, who died in November, 1784. — Map (db m123090) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Glasgow — Z-19 — Amherst County/Rockbridge CountyArea 470 Square Miles/Area 616 Square Miles
On US 501 (U.S. 501) 3 miles east of VA 130 (Virginia Route 130), on the right when traveling east.
Amherst County: Formed in 1781 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Rockbridge County: Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and . . . — Map (db m65461) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Glasgow — Z-119 — The Courage Of Frank Padget
On US 501 (U.S. 501) 3 miles east of VA 130, on the right when traveling east.
Heavy rains early in 1854 left the James River and the treacherous Balcony Falls, south of this site, in full flood. On 21 January the towrope of the canal boat, Clinton, snapped. Washed over the Mountain Dam and through successive falls, its . . . — Map (db m66946) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — Z-17 — Amherst County / Campbell CountyArea 470 Square Miles / Area 557 Square Miles
On South Amherst Highway (Virginia Route 163) at River Road (County Route 685), on the right when traveling north on South Amherst Highway.
  Amherst County. Formed in 1761 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Campbell County. Formed in 1781 from Bedford, and named for General . . . — Map (db m46431) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — K-148 — Buffalo Lick Plantation
On Riverview Road (County Route 672) east of U.S. 29, on the left.
Patented in 1742 by John Bolling, Jr., the 2,735-acre Buffalo Lick Plantation tract along the James River includes three notable historic sites. One mile southeast stand the ruins of Mount Athos, the home of William J. Lewis, an officer in . . . — Map (db m46354) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — I-5 — Central Virginia Training Center
On Colony Road (Virginia Route 210) near Wright Shop Road (County Route 622), on the right when traveling south.
Established in 1910 as the Virginia State Epileptic Colony, the center admitted its first patients in May 1911. The facility originally served persons with epilepsy and began accepting individuals with mental retardation in 1913. Due to the new . . . — Map (db m46394) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — R-4 — Lynchburg Defenses
On Colony Road (Virginia Route 210) near South Amherst Highway (Virginia Route 163), on the left when traveling east.
During the Civil War, a line of trenches and fortified artillery positions extending past here were built late in 1863 to defend Lynchburg against attack from the north. Brig. Gen. Francis T. Nicholls was responsible for ensuring that the local . . . — Map (db m46352) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — Williams Viaduct
On River Road just south of South Amherst Highway (U.S. 163), on the right when traveling south.
This bridge was erected by Norfolk & Western Railway Co., Chesepeake & Ohio Railway Co., Southern Railway Co., City of Lynchburg, Va. Begun 1916. Completed 1918. Bridge Commissioners Ernest Williams, Chairman; William King, Jr.; John P. Pettyjohn. — Map (db m46534) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Monroe — A Lock Canal/A Lift Lock
Near Blue Ridge Parkway (at milepost 63.6), 0.3 miles east of Lee Jackson Highway (U.S. 501), on the left when traveling south.
A Lock Canal When a river was too swift or shallow for navigation, shippers used canals with lift locks. The canals paralleled the river, using it as a water source. (image) (not to scale) river surface, canal and lock sites. . . . — Map (db m137538) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Monroe — Battery Creek Lock1851-1880
Near Blue Ridge Parkway (at milepost 63.6), 0.3 miles east of Lee Jackson Highway (U.S. 501), on the left when traveling south.
This lift lock, built in 1848, is 15 feet wide, 21 feet deep top to bottom, and 100 feet between gates. It lowered or lifted boats 13 feet allowing them passage to and from the river. The bottom is covered with original pine planking and walls are . . . — Map (db m137528) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Monroe — Battery Creek LockAs It May Have Looked in the Mid 1800's
Near Blue Ridge Parkway (at milepost 63.6), 0.3 miles east of Lee Jackson Highway (U.S. 501), on the left when traveling south.
Canal Water was obtained from a dam on the James River six miles upstream. Battery Creek (under the present railroad bridge) did not flow into the canal as is does today. Since it is now the only water source for the restored lock, the water level . . . — Map (db m137536) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Monroe — The Lock Gate
Near Blue Ridge Parkway (at milepost 63.6) near Lee Jackson Highway (U.S. 501), on the left when traveling south.
These handles open or closed sluice gates which admitted water to lock. When water level was equalled on both sides of gates they were opened by pushing on lever arms. Gates closed at an angle pointing upstream so water pressure sealed . . . — Map (db m137539) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Sweet Briar — R-20 — Sweet Briar CollegeChartered 1901
On South Amherst Highway (Business U.S. 29) at Sweet Briar Road, on the right when traveling south on South Amherst Highway.
This liberal arts college for women, opened in 1906, granted its first Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1910. Established under the will of Indiana Fletcher Williams as a memorial to her only daughter, Daisy, the college is located on a 2800-acre tract . . . — Map (db m86140) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement