Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Alexander County Illinois Historical Markers

 
Map at Top of Marker image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, March 17, 2009
Map at Top of Marker
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — "Proceeding On"
In November, 1803, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark and their growing contingent of "Corps of Discovery" men, spent five days here teaching each other celestial navigation and surveying skills. Using a sextant, octant, artificial horizon, and . . . — Map (db m19393) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — Cairo, Illinois
Pierre Francois Xavier de Charlevoix, a French Jesuit, reported as early as 1721 that the land at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers would be a strategic location for settlement and fortification. Nearly a century later, in 1818, the . . . — Map (db m19398) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — Duncan Cannon
William B. Duncan, Chairman of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad, presented this Rodman smooth bore cannon to the city of Cairo as a gift, May 27, 1905. The gun saw action for both sides of the Civil War at Fort Morgan, Mobile, Alabama, in 1861, to protect . . . — Map (db m19423) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — Historical Survey Marker
The beginning of the Third Principal Meridian is located in the Ohio River 1,735 feet directly north of this point. In November, 1803, this was the mouth of the Ohio River. At this location, the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery encamped for six . . . — Map (db m19415) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — Lewis & ClarkCorps of Discovery
Charting the Confluence On November 14, 1803, at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, the Corps of Discovery stayed for six days, one of the longest stops made by the expedition. Here, they saw the Mississippi for the first time, . . . — Map (db m19413) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — Lewis and Clark in Illinois
On November 14, 1803, Meriwether Lewis, William Clark and their party landed at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, the site of the present day Cairo. They spent nearly a week here, learning how to determine longitude and latitude, a . . . — Map (db m19419) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — The Beginning of the Third Principal Meridian
The beginning of the Third Principal Meridian is located in the Ohio River 1,810 feet directly north of this point. In November, 1803, this was the mouth of the Ohio River. At this location, the Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery encamped for six . . . — Map (db m19420) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — The Meeting of the Rivers
Long known to the Indian who used the two great rivers as his highways for trade and war, this junction of the Ohio and the Mississippi was first sighted by Europeans when Marquette and Joliet glided past in 1673. Ten years later La Salle explored . . . — Map (db m19390) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — The Ohio River BridgeCairo, Illinois - Wickliffe, Kentucky
Completed November 11, 1933 Freed of Tolls November 11, 1948 by The Cairo Bridge Commission The Ohio River Bridge was conceived and built in the public interest by the Cairo Bridge Commission with the cooperation of the Federal Emergency . . . — Map (db m19421) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — York the Slave
York was the first known African American to cross the American continent. In the company of the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery, from 1803-1806, he shared equally with them the rigors of the journey, but when the corps was honored, he received . . . — Map (db m41063) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Olive Branch — London School
This memorial recognizes the 109 year legacy of Rev. Nathan London, born a slave in 1830. Known then as "Nate Lundy", he distinguished himself, attaining the rank of sergeant and assistant paymaster in the Union army during the Civil War. His . . . — Map (db m40405) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Olive Branch — New Hope Missionary Baptist Church
The church, founded by Rev. Nathan London in 1882, was located near this section of road. The cornerstone, unearthed a few yards west, was donated by his family to the Cairo custom house. — Map (db m40409) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Olive Branch — Ole London Farm
In 1879, Nathan London, of St. Louis, bought this 20 acre land tract. His son, Filmore, was deeded the land. Now the Jos. Blakemore family owns it. Ruth B. Chambers, only living grandchild, was honored here, Labor Day, 1999. — Map (db m40411) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.