Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Buffalo County Nebraska Historical Markers

 
Historic Platte Valley Marker along with Pony Express Memorial Stone image, Touch for more information
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
Historic Platte Valley Marker along with Pony Express Memorial Stone
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Elm Creek — 91 — Historic Platte Valley
Through this valley passed the Oregon Trail, highway for early explorers, fur traders, California-bound gold seekers, freighters, and brave pioneers seeking new homes in the West. Traffic was especially heavy from 1843 to 1866. At times as many as . . . — Map (db m45521) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — D. E. "Mac" McGregorIn Honor Of

whose ideas brought about this park and this windmill — Map (db m79884) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — First Buffalo County Court House

On Oct. 10, 1871 the Buffalo County seat was by vote located at Gibbon.

On this site was built the first Buffalo County Courthouse in 1873. Hand made brick in base, made from local clay is from this courthouse razed in 1909.

On Oct. 13, . . . — Map (db m79715) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 201 — Gibbon

Gibbon, near here, was the site of a unique experiment in homestead colonization. The Soldiers' Free Homestead Temperance Colony was responsible for bringing the earliest settlers, mostly Union veterans, to this locality. Traveling via the . . . — Map (db m79716) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 115 — Gibbon1871 - 1971

Gibbon, on the old Mormon Trail, was the site of a unique experiment in homestead colonization. Originally conceived as a financial venture by Colonel John Thorp of Ohio, the Soldier's Free Homestead Colony was responsible for bringing the . . . — Map (db m79880) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — Memorial Tree

In honor of the Grand Army of the Republic by its Auxiliary the National Woman's Relief Corps — Map (db m79718) WM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 359 — Nebraska Centre - Boyd Ranche
James E. Boyd settled near here in 1858 and by 1860 operated a trail ranche supplying travelers on the Platte Valley Overland Route (Mormon Trail). The ranche included 2200 acres of corn and barley. Nebraska Centre Post Office was here until it was . . . — Map (db m45425) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — The Soldiers Free Homestead ColonyIn Memory Of — April 7, 1871

Erected by the descendants of the Soldiers Free Homestead Colony, to honor and perpetuate their names, for their courage and self sacrifice in their pioneering. They arrived in Gibbon, Nebraska, April 7, 1871, by Union Pacific Railroad, seeking . . . — Map (db m79721) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Baldwin Engine 481
Baldwin Built engine 481 in 1903. The original number was 1902, but was later renumbered 841 in 1915. It was used on the main line branch lines of the Union Pacific Railroad in Kansas until the winter of 1954-55, when it was brought to Kearney . . . — Map (db m45428) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Boyd House
The Boyd House, first frame house in Buffalo County, was built just west of present-day Gibbon in 1864 by brothers James E. and Joseph Boyd. It was the family home of James and Ann Boyd and their children. The two brothers came to the area in the . . . — Map (db m45468) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 488 — Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile
The Lincoln Highway Association was founded in 1913 to promote a transcontinental automobile route from new York City to San Francisco. Dedicated on October 31, 1913, the route was marked by the letter “L” within red, white, and blue . . . — Map (db m45520) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Dr. Paul Ambrose
This garden was planted in memory of Dr. Paul Ambrose who died on American Airlines Flight 77 on September 11, 2001. "Paul dedicated his career to changing the health care system with an emphasis on physician leadership and prevention. Paul . . . — Map (db m58905) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Empress Theatre1914
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Destroyed by fire Rebuilt 1940 as Fort Theatre — Map (db m58904) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — German Baptist Church of the Brethren
This building was constructed in 1898 by the German Baptist Church of the Brethren to serve as a house of worship. It was originally located on the southwest corner of ? Street and Avenue A in Kearney. This congregation used this building until . . . — Map (db m45467) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Good Samaritan Air Crew
This gazebo is dedicated to the memory of the Good Samaritan Air Crew. On December 20, 1985, they gave their lives attempting to save others. Nancy Brandon Joan Brown Craig Budden — Map (db m58938) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 153 — Historic Kearney
In 1847 Brigham Young led the first migration over the Mormon Trail along the north bank of the Platte River, and in 1866 the Union Pacific Railroad pushed its main line westward to this valley, bringing pioneer settlers. However, it was not until . . . — Map (db m45427) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Hostetler Amphitheatre
. . . — Map (db m58962) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Kearney Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial
Erected by the City of Kearney, 1910. In honor of the Defenders of our Country, 1861-1865 and 1898-1900. — Map (db m45426) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 148 — Kearney Cotton Mill
In the late 1880's, Kearney business leaders envisioned the city as a major manufacturing center. The Kearney Cotton Mill was among the many enterprises launched as part of this venture, which included paper, woolen, and oatmeal mills; plow and . . . — Map (db m101852) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Kearney State College Memorial Carillon Tower
In honor of George and Venetia Peterson and Elias and Mary Yanney The carillon tower reflects the early history of Kearney State College and the Administration Building located adjacent to this site. The four columns of the . . . — Map (db m58961) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Kearney: From the Beginning
Long before early French explorers named it the Platte River, or "flat waters," this heartland oasis was a crossroads. Migratory birds, abundant wildlife and Native Americans had been in residence for centuries when the confluence of the Oregon . . . — Map (db m58888) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Loup River Freighter Hotel
Loup River Freighters Hotel was built in 1884 by Jerome Lalone, a house painter and wallpaper hanger from Kearney. Mr. Lolone purchased land in the northwestern corner of Buffalo County along the South Loup river in 1883. he built the house along a . . . — Map (db m45429) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Old Oregon Trail
. . . — Map (db m58815) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Shelton Union Pacific Depot
This depot was built in 1898 next to the Union Pacific tracks in Shelton. It was moved to this site in September 1975 and was the first building on the grounds of the Trails and Rails Museum of the Buffalo County Historical Society. It was donated . . . — Map (db m45471) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — Site of Bauer DrugNovember 1, 1946 - December 1958 — Proprietor, George J. Bauer
and Bauer Sundries & Veterinary Supplies January 1959 - October 1969 Proprietor, Frances R. Bauer Home of Kearney's last soda fountain In honor of George J. and Frances R. Bauer for their civic mindedness and years of . . . — Map (db m58857) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 364 — The Great Platte River Road
The trail which followed the south side of the Platte River was the main route to Oregon and California. Fur traders going to the Rocky Mountains took the first wagons over the trail in 1830. Oregon-bound missionaries followed in the mid-1830s, and . . . — Map (db m53268) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 178 — The Watson Ranch
In 1888, H. D. Watson established the historic Watson Ranch, at one time containing 8,000 acres, reaching from the fertile Platte Valley on the south to the rolling hills on the north and from downtown Kearney to a point five miles west. . . . — Map (db m101853) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 125 — University of Nebraska at Kearney
In 1903 the legislature appropriated $50,000 to establish a state normal school in central or western Nebraska. After 111 ballots, the State Board of Education chose Kearney as the site. The city donated twenty acres on the west edge of town for a . . . — Map (db m45500) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Shelton — 407 — Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsman’s Echo
In April 1860 Joseph E. Johnson, a Mormon, established a road ranche at Wood River Center, today’s Shelton, and began publishing The Huntsman’s Echo, the first newspaper in Nebraska west of Omaha. He had earlier edited papers in Council Bluffs, . . . — Map (db m45423) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Shelton — Meisner Bank Building

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m79714) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Shelton — Shelton Pioneers
This Boulder is dedicated to the early pioneers of the community of Shelton, in recognition of their heroic services in establishing and protecting this town and in risking their lives that Shelton might be secure. In memory of La Belle Whitney . . . — Map (db m45283) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.