Had second post office in county, in 1889. Named by pioneers who saw here the “Dawning of a New Country.” Santa Fe Railroad Station House (a box car) was first building on site, 1905. Town was developed by W.E. Neal and sons in 1914, . . . — — Map (db m56019) HM
Formed from Young and Bexar
Created August 21, 1876
Organized October 3, 1890
Named in honor of
Erastus “Deaf” Smith
Came to Texas in 1821
Rendered valuable service as a scout and
spy during . . . — — Map (db m56022) HM
Brick with marble veneer and interior. Second marble courthouse built in U.S.
Cost was $125,000. After hotly-contested bond issue election, Judge John Slaton and winners paraded down Main Street behind the band.
Recorded Texas . . . — — Map (db m56023) HM
A wind-driven machine for pumping water. Its use made gardening easier and led to irrigated farming on arid High Plains. With barbed wire, it enabled settlers and stockmen to penetrate region in 1870s.
Town had name “Windmill City” . . . — — Map (db m56021) HM
A prisoner of war camp, used primarily for Italian soldiers, was in operation near this site during World War II. Known as the Hereford Military Reservation and Reception Center, it was first used in 1943 for prisoners captured in an invasion of . . . — — Map (db m56025) HM
Palo Duro Baptist Church has its origins in Union School, which was built by settlers around 1893. Area residents held a non-denominational Sunday school in the facility. In 1901, Baptists living in the Palo Duro community, named for the creek that . . . — — Map (db m91731) HM
Early settlers to this area included the J.C. Womble family, which came in January 1892. The next year, the community obtained land on which to build a schoolhouse, known as the Union School. In May 1893, George D. Whitfield, a young cowboy, was . . . — — Map (db m91719) HM