24 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Hampton County, South Carolina
Adjacent to Hampton County, South Carolina
► Allendale County (16) ► Bamberg County (36) ► Beaufort County (134) ► Colleton County (40) ► Jasper County (36) ► Effingham County, Georgia (29) ► Screven County, Georgia (28)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
This African-American church, a congregation of the Disciples of Christ, was founded in 1855 by members of Three Mile Creek Christian Church. A Rev. Ervin was its first pastor, and it met in a brush arbor before building its first sanctuary here. . . . — — Map (db m26015) HM|
|Previously a branch of nearby Coosawhatchie
Baptist Church (now Beech Branch), this
church was constituted as a separate church
in 1813 and takes its name from the parish in
which it was located. Espousing Primitive
Baptist principals, the . . . — — Map (db m11500) HM|
|On November 7, 1872, a post office was established in this community, named for William E. Brunson, Sr., who donated the site. Brunson was chartered in 1874. The Town Hall, built in 1906, originally stood on stilts and covered the town's artesian . . . — — Map (db m11519) HM|
|(Front text) This church, founded by 1869 with Rev. G.D. Kinard as its first pastor and 22 charter members, was admitted to the Barnwell Association that year. The congregation first met in a brush arbor, then built a log church near this . . . — — Map (db m27162) HM|
This area, called Whippy Swamp Cross Roads, was in Beaufort District before Hampton County was created in 1878. In 1840 the Whippy Swamp Guards of the 12th S.C. Militia built their “militia house” nearby. It hosted . . . — — Map (db m43977) HM|
This church was founded in 1898 by residents of Estill and Lawtonville who were members of distant Presbyterian churches and desired to organize a congregation here. It held its first services in a school on Fourth St. the first permanent . . . — — Map (db m129258) HM|
|This Baptist Church, constituted
in March 1775, was first situated
on Pipe Creek in upper St. Peter's
Parish near the Savannah River.
Prior to 1836 it was moved to
Lawtonville, where its building
was used as a hospital by Union
Forces in . . . — — Map (db m16476) HM|
|1922 Olympic Gold Medal winner Paris, France, while a student at Winthrop College. First woman in South Carolina Athletic Hall Of Fame. Outstanding educator at Columbia College. Daughter of William Asa and Lucie Ellerbe Godbold, Estill, South . . . — — Map (db m4767) HM|
|( North Face)
The Official Roster of South Carolina
Soldiers, Sailors and Marines
from Hampton County
who died defending our country
World War I
1917-1918Bennett, Eugene • Bowers, Charles E. • Buckner, Ben N. • . . . — — Map (db m19814) WM|
|(Front text) This 1933 cypress-log hut is the headquarters of American Legion Post #108. Legionnaires and other local citizens cut cypress trees for it, designed it, and built it, with funding from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, a . . . — — Map (db m39392) HM|
The Bank of Hampton, built in 1892, was the first bank organized in Hampton and an important part of the rapid growth and development of the county seat from the 1890s to the mid-1920s. It was designed by Vincent Joseph . . . — — Map (db m35693) HM|
|The National Register
Of Historical Places
Department of Archives
Hampton Colored School — — Map (db m11542) HM|
|Constructed for black students,this
elementary school was built shortly
after Hampton County School District
purchased the land in the late 1920s.
Two of the school's alumni of the 1930's
and 1940s, brothers James F. and
Julius C. Fields . . . — — Map (db m19649) HM|
|Established February 18, 1878, once a part of Beaufort District. It was named in honor of Wade Hampton. Lieutenant General C.S.A., Governor of South Carolina, 1876-79. United States Senator, 1879-91. Cornerstone of courthouse laid by Gen. . . . — — Map (db m6536) HM|
|(Front text) This house, built between 1878 and 1885, was the home of James Washington Moore (1837-1912), lawyer, Confederate officer, state legislator, and militia officer. Moore, a native of Gillisonville, was educated at the University of . . . — — Map (db m26653) HM|
|On this site stood the home of Miles Benjamin McSweeney ( 1854 ~ 1909 ), first Governor of South Carolina from Hampton County. He was the founder of the Hampton County Guardian, S.C. representative 1894 - 96, Lieutentant Governor 1897 ~ 99, . . . — — Map (db m9777) HM|
|(front): This was a major road in the northern part of old Beaufort District for many years, appearing in Mill's Atlas of 1825. Gen. Wm. T. Sherman used this route from Savannah, Georgia, to North Carolina in February of 1865 with much of his . . . — — Map (db m4803) HM|
Plywoods - Plastics Corporation.
This complex, opened in
1942 as Plywoods - Plastics
Corporation, has been
significant in the industry
and economy of Hampton and
the lowcountry ever since.
In 1941 Plywood Products
Corporation . . . — — Map (db m65197) HM|
|Built 1911, by Town of Hampton.
Given to Hampton County 1925,
to become part of the county's
first public school system.
Closed 1954, upon consolidation
of district schools.
Building razed 1957.
This marker dedicated to our
school days, our . . . — — Map (db m7149) HM|
|(Front text) German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from September 1943 to the spring of 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was a sub-camp of Fort Jackson, in Columbia. 250 prisoners captured in North Africa were the first . . . — — Map (db m36557) HM|
|This Baptist congregation, originally
known as Savannah River, Carolina
Church, was constituted near here
March 1, 1775, mainly by members of
Coosawhatchie (Beech Branch )
Church. Rev. Joshua Lewis was its
first known minister. In 1786, . . . — — Map (db m16037) HM|
|In old Lawtonville Community, across from
this site, was the first Morrison Academy. a
one-room elementary and college preparatory
school. It was later moved 3.4 miles north of
here on Orangeburg Road to be near the home
of Rev. John Timothy . . . — — Map (db m10462) HM|
A large "earthwork," over 100 yards
in length was raised on this site by
General Robert E. Lee's troops
This fortification was a
fall-back position from which to
defend the Charleston to Savannah
Railroad, an important . . . — — Map (db m15398) HM|
|Our large Live Oaks are approximately 250 years-old. We are caring for them with pruning and periodic feeding. The massive branches also support other plants:
Gray strands of hanging Spanish Moss (which is an epiphyte and not a paracite), and . . . — — Map (db m90442)|