Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Independence County Arkansas Historical Markers

 
Arkansas Methodist Conference Marker image, Touch for more information
By Judy King, September 7, 2012
Arkansas Methodist Conference Marker
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F-32 — Arkansas Methodist ConferenceIndependence County
The Arkansas conference of the Methodist Church, created 1836, composing Arkansas and parts of Louisiana and Indian Territory, held its first session November 2, 1836 in Batesville at corner of Main and Broad Streets. Bishop Thomas Morris presided. . . . — Map (db m70559) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — 14 — Batesville During The Civil War
Union soldiers occupied Batesville twice during the Civil War. Gen. Samuel Curtis's Army of the Southwest camped near this site in May 1862 while threatening Little Rock. Union troops were impressed with the town's culture and appearance, saying . . . — Map (db m70557) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F-12 — Independence County First County Court House
The town of Batesville was selected as the county seat and the first county court house built in 1821, a year after the county was organized. — Map (db m66720) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Independence County Office and Library
This building was constructed in 1904 by the federal government for the U.S. Post Office and the Batesville division of federal court for the Eastern District of Arkansas and was in use by federal agencies until 1974 when a new building was built a . . . — Map (db m70558) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Lafferty Memorial Church
Lafferty disbanded in 1969 and its members requested the church at 8th and Neeley be sold and funds divided between Philander Smith College and the First United Methodist Church of Batesville. The known history of Lafferty, organized in the . . . — Map (db m70560) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Pfeiffer Community
A light-colored crystalline limestone known as Batesville marble has been mined in this area since 1836 and most of the material used in the Arkansas State Capitol under construction from 1899 to 1915 originated here. Pfeiffer was also a railhead . . . — Map (db m85504) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.