Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

King William County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Cavalry Raids Marker on US Rt 360 (facing east) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2009
Cavalry Raids Marker on US Rt 360 (facing east)
Virginia (King William County), Aylett — O-18 — Cavalry Raids
Kilpatrick, coming from the east, burned Confederate stores here, May 5, 1863. Dahlgren, coming from Richmond, crossed the Mattapony here March 2, 1864. Sheridan, returning from his Richmond raid, was here, May 22-23, 1864, and on his Trevilian raid . . . — Map (db m17803) HM
Virginia (King William County), Aylett — O-59 — Montville
This property was home of Philip Aylett (1791-1848), for whom the village is named and who served in both the Virginia House and Senate. His son, William Roane Aylett (1833-1900), who rose to colonel in the Confederate army and later served as . . . — Map (db m57712) HM
Virginia (King William County), Central Garage — O-16 — Rumford Academy
Two miles east was Rumford Academy, established in 1804. It was one of the most noted Virginia schools of its time. — Map (db m25256) HM
Virginia (King William County), Hanover — Nelson’s CrossingGrant Crosses the Pamunkey — Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign
Federal infantry left the camps around Mangohick Church on the morning of May 28, 1864, and pressed southward toward the Pamunkey River. In order to speed up the pace of the march, the army followed parallel routes. The Second and Sixth Corps moved . . . — Map (db m120819) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — Acquinton ChurchA Colonial Church Built in 1734
. . . — Map (db m47166) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — OC-29 — Cockacoeske
Cockacoeske became the Queen of the Pamunkey after her husband Totopotomoy’s death in 1656 fighting as an ally of the English at what became known as the Battle of Bloody Run. She signed the Treaty of Middle Plantation in 1677 in the wake of settler . . . — Map (db m25841) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — King William Confederate Monument
To our soldiers of the Confederacy. King William Co. Va. — Map (db m25850) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — OC-27 — King William County Courthouse
The King William County courthouse, erected early in the second quarter of the 18th century, is one of the older courthouses still in use in the United States. This T-shaped building was constructed of brick laid in Flemish bond, with an arcade . . . — Map (db m25847) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — O 18-a — King William Training School
King William Training School was erected here in 1922-23 on the site of the King William Academy (1903-22). The Rosenwald Foundation, which built more than 5,300 black schools in the South, the African American community, and the county funded the . . . — Map (db m47168) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — OC-14 — Pamunkey Indians
Eight miles south is the reservation on which the Pamunkey Indians live. The land has never been in non-Indian ownership and the Pamunkey live on it under a treaty made in 1677. In the early seventeenth century the Pamunkey were a chiefdom ruled by . . . — Map (db m25840) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — OC-28 — Sharon Indian School
Sharon Indian School served as a center of education for the Upper Mattaponi Tribe. In 1919, the King William County School Board built a one-room frame building and the students' families provided the furniture. The county replaced the original . . . — Map (db m25839) HM
Virginia (King William County), Mangohick — OC-20 — Mangohick Church
Referred to by William Byrd in 1732 as the New Brick Church, Mangohick Church was built circa 1730 as a chapel of ease for those who lived in remote areas of St. Margaret's Parish. Distinguished by its fine Flemish bond brickwork, Mangohick became . . . — Map (db m17790) HM
Virginia (King William County), Manquin — "Old Virginia Barn"
This early 1800's bank barn is of post and beam construction. Most of the timber was hand hewed. Livestock were confined to the ground level and grain and feed were stored on the main level. The property was part of The Upper College Tract, a grant . . . — Map (db m103586) HM
Virginia (King William County), Manquin — "Prestley Barn"Built in 1925
James L. Townsend Sr. was a pioneer in the dairy industry in King William County, Virginia. His son, Guy O. Townsend built the barn which has been a landmark on the Richmond-Tappahannock Highway for almost 90 years. A later addition at the end of . . . — Map (db m103585) HM
Virginia (King William County), Manquin — OC-30 — Headquarters of Opechancanough
Near here stood the town of Menmend, home of the paramount chief Opechancanough. During Powhatan's reign, Opechancanough was a king of the Pamunkey and a war chief of the Powhatans. He became paramount chief about 1629 when his brother Opitchipam . . . — Map (db m25245) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-22 — Campaign of 1781Lafayette's Encampment
On 13 August 1781, the Marquis de Lafayette encamped his army in King William County. He placed his militia four miles east between the Pamunkey and Mattaponi Rivers and stationed his light infantry - commanded by Gen. John Peter Gabriel Muhlenburg . . . — Map (db m25845) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-25 — Campaign of 1781
About a mile to the east, August 13, 1781, Lafayette, then commanding American forces in Virginia, placed in camp his militia, consisting of Campbell's, Stevens' and Lawson's brigades. Wayne was at Westover; Muhlenberg and Febiger were in camp on . . . — Map (db m25846) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-26 — Home of Signer
Carter Braxton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, lived at West Point 1777-1786 after fire destroyed his plantation Chericoke, upriver on the Pamunkey. The town house no longer stands. From West Point Braxton channeled war goods to Patriot . . . — Map (db m17602) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-1 — Indian Treaty of 1646
Shortly after paramount chief Opechancanough’s 1644 attacks on English settlers in response to the settlers’ encroachment on Indian lands, he was captured and put to death at Jamestown. His successor Necotowance signed a treaty, ratified by the . . . — Map (db m17611) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-3 — Indians Poisoned At Peace Meeting
In May 1623, Capt. William Tucker led English soldiers from Jamestown to meet with Indian leaders here in Pamunkey territory. The Indians were returning English prisoners taken in March 1622 during war leader Opechancanough’s orchestrated attacks on . . . — Map (db m17612) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — Z-26 — King William County / King and Queen County
(Obverse) King William County Area 263 Square Miles Formed in 1701 from King and Queen, and named for King William III. Here lived Carter Braxton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. (Reverse) King and Queen . . . — Map (db m30140) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller“West Point’s Own” “A Marine’s Marine”
Lt. General Lewis Burwell “Chesty” Puller, the most decorated Marine in the history of this country, was born on June 26, 1898 and grew up only a few houses away from where are standing. He joined the Marines in 1918 and did not retire . . . — Map (db m60948) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-16 — Lt. Gen. Lewis Burwell “Chesty” Puller
Lewis Burwell “Chesty” Puller was born on 26 June 1898 in West Point and lived here until entering Virginia Military Institute in 1917. He withdrew a year later and enlisted in the Marine Corps, serving more than 37 years. One of the . . . — Map (db m17540) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-15 — Mattaponi Indians
Two miles east is the Mattaponi Indian reservation, home of descendants of the great chief Powhatan, father of Pocahontas. The reservation is situated on the Mattaponi River and is one of the oldest Indian reservations in the United States, existing . . . — Map (db m25843) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-18 — St. John's Church
This was the parish church of St. John's Parish, formed in 1680. It was built in 1734. Earlier churches stood at West Point and about one mile north of this site. Carter Braxton, Revolutionary Statesman, was a vestryman Preserved by joint effort. — Map (db m25844) HM
Virginia (King William County), West Point — OC-31 — Uttamusack
Nearby on the Pamunkey River was the location of paramount chief Powhatan's primary temple site, Uttamusack, the spiritual center of the Powhatan Indians. On the site stood a holy house for Powhatan, and two additional temples also used for . . . — Map (db m25848) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.