Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Seneca County Ohio Historical Markers

 
A Nurse’s Sacrifice in the Great War, side two image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, August 8, 2019
A Nurse’s Sacrifice in the Great War, side two
Ohio (Seneca County), Attica — 13-74 — A Nurse’s Sacrifice in the Great War
The Attica-Venice Joint Cemetery is the final resting place of Clara Edith (Work) Ayres, who died in the line of duty soon after the United States entered World War I in April 1917. Mrs. Ayres was born in Venice Township on September 16, 1880. . . . — Map (db m142389) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Attica — Omar Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the American soldiers of past wars who lie at rest in Omar Burial Ground. Revolutionary War Aaron Dean War of 1812 James Harrison Benjamin Ennis John Wilkinson Elijah Reed Benjamin Kelly James Thatcher . . . — Map (db m135373) WM
Ohio (Seneca County), Attica — The Underground RailroadAt Omar Inn and Omar Chapel of Seneca County
Side A

The Underground Railroad was neither underground nor a railroad, but a system of loosely connected safe havens where those escaping the brutal conditions of slavery were sheltered, fed, clothed, nursed, concealed, disguised, and . . . — Map (db m135559) HM

Ohio (Seneca County), Fort Seneca — 2-74 — Fort Seneca
In the 1820s a general store and a grist mill were established near this site, where the famous Scioto-Sandusky Indian Trail neared the Sandusky River. The settlement was first known as McNutt's, later as Swope's Corners. The village of Fort Seneca . . . — Map (db m18126) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Fort Seneca — A1340 — to Brady's Island / to Battle IslandOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Harrison-Shelby Marches —
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on South Side : Harrison • Shelby Marches • 1813 - - - - - 12 Miles to Brady's Island Text on North Side : Harrison • Shelby Marches . . . — Map (db m20577) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Fostoria — 5-74 — Fostoria, OhioHome of Fostoria Glass
Fostoria's glass era began when natural gas was discovered in the mid 1880s at “Godsend,” five miles west of town. Aided by former governor Charles Foster, Fostoria attracted more than a dozen companies that manufactured utilitarian and . . . — Map (db m41233) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Fostoria — 1-74 — Risdon Square
This monument marks the square of the village of Risdon founded in 1832. The land was owned by John Gorsuch, who settled here with his family in a clearing along the Portage River in 1831. He had a plat of the area made by David Risdon, Seneca . . . — Map (db m100139) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), New Riegel — 7-74 — New Riegel Parish and Convent
Side 1 St. Boniface Catholic Church began in 1834 as a mission of several area churches and in 1836, the parish built its first church. in 1844 Bishop John Purcell commissioned Swiss born Father Francis de Sales Brunner, a Missionary of the . . . — Map (db m104848) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Old Fort — Fort Seneca - Harrison Trail1812 - 1813
This tablet marks the site of Fort Seneca built in July 1813 by Major General William Henry Harrison during the War of 1812 with Great Britain; and also marks the military road known as the "Harrison Trail" blazed through the forest in 1812 by . . . — Map (db m21948) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Old Fort — Native American Habitation
In earliest recorded history, the Erie tribe inhabited this land. The Iroquois Confederacy, particularly the Senecas, annihilated the Eries between 1650 and 1656. This area then became the "hunting grounds" of the Senecas and Mohawks. In 1730 . . . — Map (db m70010) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 3-74 — Camp Ball
In July 1813 a detachment of soldiers under Lt. Col. James V. Ball built a supply fort here along the military road that ran along the west bank of the Sandusky River. Ball chose this site for its large spring of cold water, which he enclosed within . . . — Map (db m17977) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 8-74 — Camp NobleThe Buckeye Vanguard
This is the site of Camp Noble, named for Congressman Warren P. Noble, who obtained the officer’s commission for William H. Gibson as the colonel of the 49th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Companies of 100 began to arrive here August 12, 1861 from . . . — Map (db m141529) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 4-74 — Early Electric Illumination, 1884
When St.Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated on January 6, 1884, an ornate brass chandelier presented by the Edison Electric Light Company provided illumination for the ceremony. Wired for electric lighting before its completion, St. . . . — Map (db m140953) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — Fort Ball
1813. This Tree Marks The Site of Old Fort Ball Built in 1813 by Order of General Harrison. — Map (db m104132) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 12-74 — Founding of Tiffin
In 1822 Josiah Hedges purchased the land that would become Tiffin from the Delaware Land Office. By March, this land, situated across the Sandusky River from old Fort Ball (War of 1812) was surveyed and platted by General James Hedges, the brother . . . — Map (db m119964) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 9-74 — Mercy Hospital of Tiffin / The Sisters of Mercy Come to Tiffin
The Pastor of St. Mary’s Church, Rev. Thomas F. Conlon, met with the newly appointed bishop of the Toledo Diocese, the Right Rev. Joseph Schrembs, to discuss building a charity hospital for the community. Community leaders and physicians promoted . . . — Map (db m140838) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 11-74 — Rezin W. Shawhan & the Seneca County Museum
The Seneca County Museum is the former home of local businessman Rezin W. Shawhan. Born in 1811, Shawhan arrived in Tiffin in 1832 and opened a store with his brother Lorenzo. The store’s success enabled Rezin to expand his interests into real . . . — Map (db m140870) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 10-74 — State's First Female Lawyers
Side A In 1873, Tiffin's Cronise sisters became the first women admitted to the Ohio Bar. At that time, Ohio did not provide for the admission of women attorneys. On April 4th 1873, Nettie Cronise applied to the district court. Despite . . . — Map (db m100140) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Tiffin — 6-74 — Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
A) In 1858, the Sandusky Dayton Cincinnati Railroad Company took control of the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad line and built the Tiffin passenger depot in 1862, which served as one of the six railroad depots in the Tiffin area. As a result of the . . . — Map (db m119969) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 4, 2020