Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Torrance County New Mexico Historical Markers

 
Cedarvale Marker image, Touch for more information
By Maribeth Robison, March 27, 2014
Cedarvale Marker
New Mexico (Torrance County), Cedarvale — Cedarvale
Edward Smith, William Taylor and Oliver P. DeWolfe of Cedarvale Kansas laid out this community in 1908. Hundreds of homesteaders arrived on immigrant trains. Most farmed pinto beans, shipping their crops to distant markets. In 1917 the community . . . — Map (db m72667) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Estancia — EstanciaPopulation 1,830 - Elevation 6,107
Incorporated in 1909 and county seat of Torrance County since 1905, Estancia is located in an enclosed valley or basin. It was ranching country until the early 20th century, when the coming of the railroad opened it to homesteaders and farmers. . . . — Map (db m72666) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Estancia — EstanciaPopulation 1,830 - Elevation 6,107
Incorporated in 1909 and county seat of Torrance County since 1905, Estancia is located in an enclosed valley or basin. It was ranching county until the early 20th century, when the coming of the railroad opened it up to homesteaders and farmers. . . . — Map (db m73507) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Estancia — EstanciaSalt Mission Trail — Longest Mainstreet In America
Estancia, "resting place", has been on the map since 1776. Known for its spring fed pond, now its city park. It become the county seat in 1905 and was the scene of the last hanging in New Mexico in 1922. — Map (db m73509) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), McIntosh — Homesteader Mary Ellen "Mollie" Hall Warren Klapp 1862-1933
Eighty-million acres of public land in the West went into private ownership by 1900 through the 1862 Homestead Act. New Mexico drew hundreds of settlers who built homes and farmed 160-acre allotments in pursuit of a better life. Mollie Klapp was . . . — Map (db m103053) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — Abo RuinsSalinas Pueblo Misson National Monument
In English: Crossroads In the 17th century, an ancient trade route that linked the Rio Grande to the Great Plains shared this fragile mountain valley with a bustling pueblo full of people who spoke Tompiro. When a single Spanish . . . — Map (db m62066) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 76 — Abó RuinsSalinas National Monument — 3/4 Mile North
Located adjacent to the major east-west trade route through Abó Pass, the Tompiro Pueblo of Abó (ca. 1300s-1670s) was one of the Southwest’s largest Pueblo Indian villages. Extensive Indian house complexes are dominated by the unique buttressed . . . — Map (db m119761) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 684 — Gran Quivíra RuinsSalinas National Monument — 1 Mile South
The Tompiro Indian “Pueblo de las Humanas" (ca. 1300-1670s) had 1,500 to 2,000 inhabitants and was a trading center with Plains Indians. The village evolved for centuries on the fringe of the Mogollon and Anasazi cultures. There are two large . . . — Map (db m119759) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — MountainairPopulation 1,170 - Elevation 6,535
Founded in 1902, Mountainair developed as a major center for pinto bean farming in the early 20th century until the drought of the 1940s. The region had been occupied earlier by Tompiro and eastern Tiwa pueblo Indians from prehistoric times through . . . — Map (db m75511) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — MountainairPopulation 1,170 - Elevation 6,535
Founded in 1902, Mountainair developed as a major center for pinto bean farming in the early 20th century until the drought of the 1940s. The region had been occupied earlier by Tompiro and eastern Tiwa pueblo Indians from prehistoric times through . . . — Map (db m75512) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 79 — Quarai RuinsSalinas National Monument — 1 Mile West
On the edge of the Plains stands the abandoned Tiwa Pueblo Indian village of Quarai (ca. 1200–1670s), the southernmost of the Tiwa villages, located along the eastern flanks of the Manzano Mountains. The Spanish Franciscan mission church of La . . . — Map (db m119760) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — Salt Mission TrailMountainair
Located 10 miles from the center of the state, this high desert town was established in 1902. Ancient cities, pinto beans and ranching make its history. The railroad, natural beauty, Salinas Pueblo cultures and a pioneering spirit are reflected in . . . — Map (db m92608) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Tajique — Tajique
The pueblo-mission of San Miguel de Tajique was established in the 1620s. In the 1670s, famine, disease and Apache raids caused the abandonment of the Jurisdiccion de las Salinas (1598-1678) which included Tajique. Modern occupation of Tajique began . . . — Map (db m75510) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Willard — Laguna Del PerroElevation 6,110 FT
Numerous salt ponds and lakes of which Laguna del Perro is the largest, occur in the lowest part of the Estancia basin, a closed depression between the Manzano Mountains to the west and the lower Pedernal hills to the east. The Basin was filled by a . . . — Map (db m75513) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.