In 1910, the Mountain Quarries Company contracted for the construction of a railroad bridge over the North Fork of the American River to haul limestone from their upstream quarry. The bridge and 17 wooden trestles were part of Mountain Quarries . . . — — Map (db m67659) HM
The Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge, also known a "No Hands Bridge", was completed on March 23, 1912. At the time of its construction the span bore the distinction of being one of the largest reinforced concrete railroad bridges in the United . . . — — Map (db m67664) HM
The Auburn depot is the fourth depot constructed (1902) on this hill. The original depot was constructed in 1865 when the Transcontinental Railroad came through Auburn. It burned down and was replaced in 1870. The second depot was sold and replaced . . . — — Map (db m81586) HM
This building served the people of Auburn and Placer County for more than 90 years as both a passenger and freight station.
The railroad track adjacent to this historic building is the original route location for the transcontinental railroad. . . . — — Map (db m81594) HM
An old fashioned drugstore down to the vintage marble soda fountain, Auburn Drug Company was established in 1896 by James T. Gibson. It was first located on the upper left side of Railroad Street (now Lincoln Way), just below Freeman Hotel. It was . . . — — Map (db m67555) HM
The Central Pacific Railroad reached Auburn in 1865. This site has been a blacksmithing shop since shortly thereafter. In 1890 it became known as Auburn Iron Works. Blacksmithing, one of the most valuable trades in the foothills, provided services . . . — — Map (db m67556) HM
Rebuilt in 1860 after a fire, George Willment resumed his mercantile business on the lower floor of this new fireproof building. The second floor was added at this time which was owned and operated by the Eureka Lodge #16 F&AM. In 1871, Willment . . . — — Map (db m67551) HM
Constructed in 1908-09 with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Corporation. Building designed in the Greek Revival style of architecture by A.D. Fellows. Formally dedicated May 26, 1909, it housed the City Library for 59 years. Auburn City offices . . . — — Map (db m31835) HM
So named because of its location on the Bloomer Ranch, it remains virtually unchanged since its original construction in 1864. The overwhelming task of construction was undertaken by the diligent, hard working efforts of a small band of Chinese . . . — — Map (db m93971) HM
Built in 1855 by Gordon. Early tenants included Gellespy & Co. Clothing and J. Harwood & Co. Tin and Hardware. Hop Sing operated a Chinese laundry here circa 1894 until his death in 1944. Purchased in 1897 by Henry Bosse, left to his daughters . . . — — Map (db m43699) HM
This Colonial Revival home was originally constructed by Charles L. Simons. Simons came to Auburn in 1850 to try his hand at gold mining, but eventually became the owner of a saloon in town. The home was sold in 1901 to Fred Brye, a well-known local . . . — — Map (db m81602) HM
At the onset of World War II the U.S. Army's Western Defense Command and Fourth Army sought to secure the strategically important railroad through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. On December 9th 1941, soldiers of the 32nd Infantry Division arrived here . . . — — Map (db m101363) HM
After the Central Pacific Railroad built a Train Depot, over a mile away and up the hill from Old Auburn, civic leaders looked for a way to connect the two areas. The city planners took a map and located a halfway point . . . — — Map (db m52312) HM
Gold discovered near here by Claude Chana May 16, 1848. Area first known as "North Fork" or "Wood's Dry Diggings". Settlement given name of Auburn in Fall of 1849. Soon became important mining town, trading post and stage terminal. County seat of . . . — — Map (db m685) HM
Adventurer and first fruit rancher in Placer County. In 1848 he found gold in the Auburn Ravine, which led to the settlement of a mining camp that later became Auburn.
Lord Sholto Douglas Ch. 3
E Clampus Vitus
1975. — — Map (db m686) HM
This building first constructed in 1852, opened on September 22, 1855 as the first Placer County Hospital. In 1890 the building was badly damaged by fire. At the time, the upstairs was the residence and gallery of photographer J.M. Jacobs and the . . . — — Map (db m93966) HM
After an eleven-month delay due to political opposition and lack of money, Central Pacific tracks reached Auburn May 13, 1865, and regualr service began. Government loans became available when the railroad completed its first 40 miles, four miles . . . — — Map (db m54837) HM
George Allen & Joseph Sandhorfer operated East Auburn’s first carriage, wagon, & harness shop in this building in 1896.
Other building occupants over the years
Burt & Locher General Merchandising
A.F. Ford & Co., Grocers
Ford . . . — — Map (db m81603) HM
In honor of Henry Gietzen,
Member of the Auburn Volunteer Fire Department since September 12, 1922;
Fire Chief from 1946 to present.
Dedicated in July 1974.
William Chaix, Trustee; Egar E. Ganow, Trustee; Henry Gietzen, Fire Chief; J. A. . . . — — Map (db m687) HM
The Gold Bug stamp mill was built in the 1880s in the Tahoe National Forest. The Gold Bug Mine, one of many smaller hardrock mines located throughout the Mother Lode, was established to protect the ownership of the main quartz vein of the Eagle Bird . . . — — Map (db m94180) HM
[Kiosk Side A:]
Gold Discovered Just Downstream in Auburn Ravine!
On May 16, 1848, just downstream in Old Town Auburn where North Rich Ravine meets Auburn Ravine, gold was discovered by a Frenchman named Claude Chana. After leaving . . . — — Map (db m52355) HM
As an infant in 1805, he accompanied his parents Toussaint Charbonneau and Sacagawea, as they guided the Lewis & Clark Expedition. He lived along the American River Canyon, at Murderer’s, Buckner’s, Rattlesnake & Manhattan Bars between 1848 and . . . — — Map (db m44067) HM
Lawyer’s Row – built 1855 by Anderson & Mills – Many lawyers here through the years
Stars & Stripes paper pub. here 1867 to 1880’s by Hart Fellows
Community Project — — Map (db m44065) HM
The location of Camp Flint was on the hill just above this site now know as the "Auburn Dam Overlook". The site housed barracks for officers, enlisted men, and P.O.Ws. These Personnel were supported by a kitchen, mess hall, parade grounds, and a . . . — — Map (db m101364) HM
Instituted in 1852, the first Odd Fellows Lodge organized in Placer County, seventh in California. Meetings were held in several different locations until this building was erected in 1894. Bricks used in construction were made and fired on this . . . — — Map (db m31842) HM
Occupied by Eureka Lodge No. 16 F.A.M.
Much of the material and furnishings came to Auburn via Cape Horn S.A.
This plaque is dedicated to the Pioneers of Auburn by Auburn Parlor No. 232 Native Daughters of the Golden West
June 11, 1933 — — Map (db m44071) HM
In 1889 Walter Gaffett set up a powder factory which was part of the Giant Powder Company from the Bay Area. It's reported that 22 people died from explosions by 1917 when the factory was dismantled. This building originally was the company store. . . . — — Map (db m67550) HM
Built originally as mining exhibit hall on the 20th Agricultural District Fairgrounds, this building was constructed in the 1940s by the W.P.A. Crew from nearby Camp Flint. Placer County Historical Society secured use of a portion of the building . . . — — Map (db m101366) HM
This caboose built by Southern Pacific in 1978 was purchased from Jim Dobbas, Inc. of Newcastle and moved to the Auburn depot site Nov. 12, 1990
Purchase of the caboose was made possible by a grant from Bank of America Foundation
Grant was . . . — — Map (db m81600) HM
Auburn’s original joss house (dedicated February 1909) was located directly across Sacramento Street. After the August 25, 1921 fire that destroyed most of Chinatown, a building was erected here that later became home to the Ling Ying Association. . . . — — Map (db m43696) HM
The Auburn Masonic Hall was completed in 1917. Since completion it has been home to Eureka Lodge No.16, F. & A. M. The building is clad in beautiful terra cotta manufactured by the Placer County firm of Gladdin McBean. It is the last remaining . . . — — Map (db m31811) HM
Dr. Kenneth H. Fox crafted this statue from 1 mile of reinforced steel rebar and 35 cubic yards of concrete. The “Chinese Coolie” stands 22 feet high, is 33 feet long and weighs 70 tons.
This giant statue relocated to this historic . . . — — Map (db m81597) HM
Kiosk Side A:
Creating Jobs and Building Community
It started as an ”unsightly maze and tangle of briars, brush and junk”… It became ”one of the finest open air amphitheaters in northern . . . — — Map (db m52855) HM
An early hotel and stage station located on this site marked the junction of roads from Auburn to Foresthill and Illinoistown. In 1854, the home of “The Auburn Poetess,” Mary Eulalie Shannon, reputed to be California’s first woman poet. . . . — — Map (db m81604) HM
Katsuichi and Tomo Tsuda of Hiroshima, Japan established the K. Tsuda General Merchandise in 1918. That original store was located at 135 Sacramento Street, about one block east of this location. The business continued to operate at that site until . . . — — Map (db m55649) HM
This property served as the Old Auburn Cemetery, established in the 1850's. About 1893, legislation permitted grave relocation to the Odd Fellows Cemetery, subsequently making possible creation of Sierra Park on these grounds. Agreement was reached . . . — — Map (db m81799) WM
Following the example of Gordy Ainsleigh in 1974, each year runners from around the world meet the challenge of completing on foot the rugged 100-mile distance of the historic Western States Trail from Squaw Valley to this stadium. Placer Union High . . . — — Map (db m95777) HM