21 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Cordele, Georgia
Location of Cordele, Georgia
► Crisp County (21) ► Dooly County (4) ► Lee County (4) ► Sumter County (52) ► Turner County (1) ► Wilcox County (8) ► Worth County (5)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Chartered in 1884 and headquartered in Americus, the narrow-gauge AP&L reached Richland in 1885 and Lumpkin in 1886. Shortly after getting a charter amendment in December 1886, it was extended on the west side to Louvale, opening to that small . . . — — Map (db m174322) HM|
|The A&B was originally chartered on October 24, 1887 as the Waycross Air Line Railroad. Its first section of track, a 25-mile stretch from Waycross to Sessoms, opened in 1890. The line was extended to Nicholls in 1897, to Douglas in 1900, and to . . . — — Map (db m174325) HM|
|Blackshear Trail, made by General David Blackshear during the War of 1812, was used by General Andrew Jackson when he led his troops from Fort Hawkins, now Macon, through Hartford, now Hawkinsville, to Fort Early in 1818. The section was roadless . . . — — Map (db m53208) HM|
|This camp, as proposed by Cpl. J.M. Moore, Georgia State Highway Patrol, and sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Emmett R. Culbreth and James H. Floyd, State Commanders; Department of Public Safety, George Wilson, Director, and the Department . . . — — Map (db m111394) HM|
|In 1865, Capitol of Georgia moved here by Governor Joe Brown. The Great Seal and Treasury moved from here to Canada and later returned to the Governor of Georgia. The old well under this spot furnished the water supply for the refugee capitol. . . . — — Map (db m174448) HM|
|Crisp County was created by Act of Aug. 17, 1905 from Dooly County. It was named for Charles Frederick Crisp (1845-1896), Georgia lawyer, judge, Congressman, who was born in Sheffield, England, of actor parents touring the British Isles. Judge Crisp . . . — — Map (db m53210) HM|
| Hernando de Soto and his army after crossing to the west side of Flint River near Bainbridge, recrossed it on March 31, 1540, between the mouths of Jones and Gum creeks, and stopped at the town of the Ichisi chief. He was the first that came to . . . — — Map (db m52884) HM|
|Fort Early, built by General David Blackshear in 1812, was named for Peter Early, Governor of Georgia at that time. It was used by General Blackshear during the war of 1812. On February 13, 1818 General Andrew Jackson and his army arrived at the . . . — — Map (db m116697) HM|
|Banker and lawyer Samuel H. Hawkins, who saw greater potential in the line than had been realized up until then. An extension from Abbeville to Lyons opened in June 1890, and an extension from Louvale to the Chattahoochee River was completed a few . . . — — Map (db m174327) HM|
|Chartered in 1885, the Georgia Southern & Florida Railroad built a rail line from Macon, Georgia, to Palatka, Florida, over a distance of 285 miles. It was opened between Macon and Valdosta in February 1889 and was completed to Palatka in March of . . . — — Map (db m174323) HM|
|In 1902 the GS&F bought the property of the Atlantic, Valdosta & Western Railway between Valdosta and Jacksonville. It also owned the Macon & Birmingham Railroad and the Hawkinsville & Florida Southern Railway. In 1917 the railroad reported owning . . . — — Map (db m174328) HM|
|Here begins “Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park.” This 1,200 acre tract of land was purchased by Crisp County Commissioners and given to the State of Georgia December 4, 1946 in grateful appreciation of, and as a living memorial to the . . . — — Map (db m35041) HM|
|This 1000 acre tract, once the hunting and fishing grounds of Creek Indians, was purchased from Dr. Russell Thomas and John F. Thomas on December 4, 1946, by the Crisp County Commissioners, Dr. L.E. Williams, J. Homer Dorough and Claude L. McMillan, . . . — — Map (db m113889) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m174447) HM|
| In November 1864 Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia. General William Sherman and his men were drawing near as they marched through the State. With the legislature in session, Governor Joseph E. Brown was doing all he could to pack the state . . . — — Map (db m174321) HM|
|In December 1888, the SA&M was organized as the successor to the Americus, Preston & Lumpkin Railroad, a narrow-gauge line running from Louvale, near the Georgia-Alabama state line, to Abbeville, on the Ocmulgee River. The change was made by a group . . . — — Map (db m174326) HM|
|Early in 1702 Joseph de Zuńiga, Spanish Governor of Florida, and Pierre le Moyne Iberville, French founder of Louisiana, made plans to check steadily increasing English trade with the Indian tribes in the interior, and perhaps to drive them out of . . . — — Map (db m22899) HM|
|Spreading its limbs over 100 feet, this Live Oak has comforted and delighted generations of visitors. passerby and owners of the William Adkins Plantation Home.
The Crisp-Dooly Forestry Department measurerd this tree in 1976. It was 56 inches . . . — — Map (db m9134) HM|
| This is the site of
Confederate Air Force
Pad No. 1
Holding 98', this giant missile was dismantled in California and flown to Warner Robins Air Force Base. The missile was then transported along I-75 to Cordele.
The . . . — — Map (db m55339) HM|
|The Union Depot was located on 8th Street and Wall Street. It was a favorite gathering place for local citizens on Sunday afternoon to see who was arriving and departing on the trains. Trains of four different railway lines made stops at this . . . — — Map (db m174324) HM|
|In 1952, the V.F.W. opened Camp Safety Patrol. Here, with the cooperation of the Department of Public Safety, over 72,000 youths camped and learned school safety practices. The V.F.W. made improvements, built facilities and obtained equipment for . . . — — Map (db m35042) HM|